NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

Change your BIOS to "SG" as the primary display adapter instead of "PEG" and this will cause your discreet GPU cards to be turned on at boot with the IGFX being the primary display adapter. With the BIOS set to PEG, they are powered off and invisible when IGFX are active.

With this setting, you should be able to re-flash the vBIOS in DOS mode. Using the SG setting in BIOS should also allow the GPUs to become visible in Windows when booting with IGFX, but they will not be usable for gaming and 3D applications. They will accept driver installations and may accept a firmware flash within Windows while IGFX is active, but using the DOS mode would be best under the circumstances.

If your GPUs are visible with IGFX active and recognized by nvflash (or atiflash for those with 7970M) this issue should be correctable by installing the firmware and may not require GPU replacement. This is essentially the same principle as using a PCI display adapter in a desktop PC to recover from a failed AGP or PCIe GPU flash.

I was able to use this process with my M18x to repair a 7970M GPU from a failed vBIOS flash for an M17x R3 owner, so I see no reason it will not work for your 680M GPUs.

This worked! I am running Dell 680m - OCeditionNew.zip (51.8 KB, 15 views) on both cards. I flashed them when they finally showed up in the device manager and BIOS, but when I restarted and got past POST, the machine hung there for 2 minutes with an under-bar in the upper R.hand corner prior to booting. I actually turned the machine off w/in a few seconds and flashed over again, played with settings etc, but still the under-bar. After I was about to give up I just let the under-bar remain without interruption and after nearly 2 minutes, boom, windows begin to load. After this "initial wait" of 2 minutes, there has been no additional need to wait for boot. Furthermore, I had to reinstal Nvidia drivers to enable SLI. Thank you!

• Thumbs Up 1

This worked! I am running Dell 680m - OCeditionNew.zip (51.8 KB, 15 views) on both cards. I flashed them when they finally showed up in the device manager and BIOS, but when I restarted and got past POST, the machine hung there for 2 minutes with an under-bar in the upper R.hand corner prior to booting. I actually turned the machine off w/in a few seconds and flashed over again, played with settings etc, but still the under-bar. After I was about to give up I just let the under-bar remain without interruption and after nearly 2 minutes, boom, windows begin to load. After this "initial wait" of 2 minutes, there has been no additional need to wait for boot. Furthermore, I had to reinstal Nvidia drivers to enable SLI. Thank you!

Are you able to OC with that vbios and not have your video driver crash. That was the problem I was having with that vbios.

I tried Saltius vbios for MSI GTX680m but they were too aggressive for me. I want to try the ones here and see if they are better. Preferably I would rather have stock voltage and slight OC though... I don't plan on breaking any records or anything, just fix fluctuating clocks and get slightly more performance.

Are you able to OC with that vbios and not have your video driver crash. That was the problem I was having with that vbios.

Now that I can flash fixed cards, Ive tried all four ROMs. The "base 850 to 889", the "850 to 889 w/ OC", "850 to 889 w/ OC/OV", and the one on page 39 or so. Trying all four, I am using the one that leave the base 758Mhz while opening up OC w/ possible +600 or so. I am OC to 959 w/ RAM at 2000 and its stable. I enjoy it. I have removed all the Dell rubber BS and using Arctic. Its amazing.

Now that I can flash fixed cards, Ive tried all four ROMs. The "base 850 to 889", the "850 to 889 w/ OC", "850 to 889 w/ OC/OV", and the one on page 39 or so. Trying all four, I am using the one that leave the base 758Mhz while opening up OC w/ possible +600 or so. I am OC to 959 w/ RAM at 2000 and its stable. I enjoy it. I have removed all the Dell rubber BS and using Arctic. Its amazing.

Thanks for testing, much appreciated.

I think that is roughly what I can OC with on the possible 600+ but anything more and my driver will crash or computer will blue screen.

I am using a 900mhz core with 124mhz possible OC and that one I get my best benchmarks with (I believe currently I have the highest score for a 3920xm and 680m sli according to 3dmark).

You might want to try that one, I don't get throttling with it like I do with the one your using.

It's in this thread somewhere on one of the earlier pages. Its posted in svl7 post for download.

Here is the link to the post:

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/1847-nvidia-kepler-vbios-mods-overclocking-editions-modified-clocks-voltage-tweaks-3.html#post23820

Hi everyone,

I grabbed the vbios from 680m_Clevo_OCeditionNew.zip (I'm running a p170em and the clevo gtx680m it comes with) and did some testing in 3dmark with a few different clocks and noticed something odd:

With the modified vbios I kept getting a 3dmark 11 score of ~6700, regardless of which core/ram clocks I picked - I think this one was at ~860 core (what ever the default was for that vbios) and 2280 ram:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3820QM Processor,CLEVO P170EM score: P6745 3DMarks

Temperature on that one hit 81c - not the highest I've seen but the fps was noticebly struggling.

I flashed back to the original vbios I backed up before flashing the OC one and tested again, using just the sw overclock oh 719 + 135 = 854mhz and memory of 2280 and got a score over 7000:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3820QM Processor,CLEVO P170EM score: P7038 3DMarks

Is something wrong with this? My original vbios should be identical to the one the OC vbios is based on - 80.04.29.00.01 from clevo

If the only difference between the original and the OC is the unlocking of higher core clocks, shouldn't these scores be closer if I use similar clocks?

edit: On the stock vbios temperature max was 79, I guess that's comparable to the difference in the core clocks and makes sense, but the fps was noticibly higher on at least one of the tests, and visually there was less tearing and jumping

That is pretty warm for a GPU. Even under heavy load mine rarely ever reach 72°C. With temps that high I suspect your GPUs are throttling.

It's usually around 72~74c when gaming. It only gets to the 80s when running 3dmark 11. Also it'll hit 90 with furmark but I'm not going to run that ever again I think :) As a side note, with the 'modified msi FD' bios from using-your-4gb-gtx-680m-its-safest-full-potential I see the same temps but got a score of 7824 and much nicer FPS: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3820QM Processor,CLEVO P170EM score: P7824 3DMarks throttling or not, I think this is an indication something is strange with the OCeditionNew clevo vbios? Or at east, the combination of that vbios and my card revision maybe? I ran each test a couple times to make sure it wasn't freak occurance

Anyone knows the msi vbios versions svl7 posted on 2nd post?

I just got my msi 680m this week.

It comes with vbios 80.04.33.00.24

If the msi vbios on 2nd post has more later version, then I will bite the bullet and flash it during the weekend.

I think svl7 might be coming back from his tour of duty this weekend... if someone else does not know the answer about your MSI vBIOS question, he may be able to answer that for you.

Anyone knows the msi vbios versions svl7 posted on 2nd post?

I just got my msi 680m this week.

It comes with vbios 80.04.33.00.24

If the msi vbios on 2nd post has more later version, then I will bite the bullet and flash it during the weekend.

They're both based on an earlier version than your vbios, but you can still flash it. Your current vbios version doesn't like high overclocks.

I think svl7 might be coming back from his tour of duty this weekend... if someone else does not know the answer about your MSI vBIOS question, he may be able to answer that for you.

Yeah, that's right, back to civil life :)

Hey svl7, good to see your back. Is it possible for you to increase the voltage on the dell bios that you posted , it's the one with no limit on core. I think you called it "dellNEW"

I tried it and you can set the clock to what ever you please and I check the afterburner graph and they do change but with the lack of over voltage it is now stable and get low performance.

Hey svl7, good to see your back. Is it possible for you to increase the voltage on the dell bios that you posted , it's the one with no limit on core. I think you called it "dellNEW"

I tried it and you can set the clock to what ever you please and I check the afterburner graph and they do change but with the lack of over voltage it is now stable and get low performance.

Wouldn't the best vbios to re-moddify be the Dell 680m - 80.04.33.00.21.rom_900default_OV.zip with more then what's availble for OC. Like maybe atleast 324+. That I think would probably max out our cards.

This vbios seems to be the best one available.

What do you think slv7?

Hello svl7, I'm a new member here. However, I have read much of your overclocking information.

Recently, I sent two private messages in notebookreview.com to you but I didn't get any of your answer yet - assuming that you did not notice them. To be honest, I have been really interested in your GE60 vbios and hope to try it if it is possible. I was able to make 650M DDR5 stable at 1100/2700 by using nvidia inspector although it seems that I have met its limitation; any higher causes bsod. I wonder that does vbios enormously affect overclocking performance? Any suggestion is very appreciated.

This is my current bios E16GAIMS.10E MSI Global - Computer, Laptop, Notebook, Desktop, Mainboard, Graphics and more

Best regards,

Hehe, well, I'm not really that often checking PMs over there. I modified the GE60 vbios a long time ago, should finally put it online, that's right... :) I'll try to do it during the next days.

So, let me share my personal experience with various vbios and their performance so far. I tried all the various mod so skillfully made by svl7. All of them allow higher clocks and noticeable improvements in game and benchmarks. However, all of them but one (the New OCedition svl7 posted on 09/08 that you can find linked below) have locked core voltage - not possible to further OC through Afterburner - and throttle down about 100mhz and more. The one I linked is in my personal experience the only one, that starting from a locked 758mhx core clock, allows to OC as far as you like and although throttles a bit in mhz didn't drop a single fps in game.

Link: http://forum.techinferno.com/attachments/general-notebook-discussions/4926d1347183728-dell-680m-oceditionnew.zip

• Thumbs Up 1

What does the "New" Clevo 680M Bios include? Does it have the OV 3D power-state as well? 1st post... cant DL yet... *sigh*

TEST Versions:

Attached Files Attached Files

File Type: zip 680m_Clevo_OCeditionNew.zip (52.0 KB, 27 views)

File Type: zip MSI_GTX680m4gb_'OCedition'_VBIOS.zip (51.7 KB, 43 views)

File Type: zip MSI_GTX680m4gb_+_200MHz_OV_ver2.zip (51.4 KB, 51 views)

File Type: zip Dell 680m - 850 base - 889 boost.zip (88.3 KB, 23 views)

File Type: zip Dell 680m - 850 base - 889 boost - OV.zip (88.3 KB, 10 views)

File Type: zip Dell 680m - 850 base - 889 boost - OV - OC.zip (88.3 KB, 43 views)

File Type: zip G55VW_BIOS209 - 660m unlocked OC limits.zip (2.47 MB, 5 views)

Can I flash MSI/Clevo VBIOS's interchangeably? or should I just stick to the Clevo one if I have a Clevo 680M? Only reason I ask this is because of the physical difference between the Dell (2GB cards) and MSI/Clevo (4GB cards).

Has anyone checked power consumption of the card with the OV? I'm wondering if my 180W brick will be enough to handle the OV BIOS + any significant OC.

I have a P150HM, 2720QM + 680M + 2x4GB RAM, so I think I probably have a bit of headroom, opinions? suggestions?

So, let me share my personal experience with various vbios and their performance so far. I tried all the various mod so skillfully made by svl7. All of them allow higher clocks and noticeable improvements in game and benchmarks. However, all of them but one (the New OCedition svl7 posted on 09/08 that you can find linked below) have locked core voltage - not possible to further OC through Afterburner - and throttle down about 100mhz and more. The one I linked is in my personal experience the only one, that starting from a locked 758mhx core clock, allows to OC as far as you like and although throttles a bit in mhz didn't drop a single fps in game.

Link: http://forum.techinferno.com/attachments/general-notebook-discussions/4926d1347183728-dell-680m-oceditionnew.zip

Great, thank you very much for the feedback! So with that vbios you can now change the voltage per afterburner? :)

What system are you using? An M17x R4?

I guess the front posts need some cleaning up, and as well some more explanation. The 'newOC' versions are quite a bit modified, I did a lot of tests with my Clevo 680m... it did throttle at stock in my system, didn't even reach full 3d clocks. The newOC edition solves this, and I ported the same mod to the Dell card... I expect it to work the best from all Dell versions, however, the results seem to vary... Glad to hear that it seems to work pretty fine for you!

What is the "New" Clevo 680M Bios include? Does it have the OV 3D power-state as well? 1st post... cant DL yet... *sigh*

Can I flash MSI/Clevo VBIOS's interchangeably? or should I just stick to the Clevo one if I have a Clevo 680M? Only reason I ask this is because of the physical difference between the Dell (2GB cards) and MSI/Clevo (4GB cards).

Has anyone checked power consumption of the card with the OV? I'm wondering if my 180W brick will be enough to handle the OV BIOS + andy significant OC.

I have a P150HM, 2720QM + 680M + 2x4GB RAM, so I think I probably have a bit of headroom, opinions? suggestions?

The newOC edition is simply modified a bit more, in order to prevent throttling. I removed the software OCing limits, but the voltage is stock as well as the clocks. The results don't seem to be completely consistent as not all users report the same behavior, not sure about the cause of this. I can't test it myself since I don't have a Dell card / recent AW system. That's why I need feedback.

The Clevo card works with the MSI vbios, but you might run into some weird issues, not all Clevo systems seem to run well with the MSI vbios. 180W should be fine I guess, not sure. Depends on how far you push it.

• Thumbs Up 2

The newOC edition is simply modified a bit more, in order to prevent throttling. I removed the software OCing limits, but the voltage is stock as well as the clocks.

Are you planning on creating a "new OC+OV" version of the Clevo VBIOS in the future? (lol, i want moar and haven't even tried the regular "new OC" version ... :P ).

This is still just a "just wondering" question, I am very grateful for your work and what you've given the community.

Following rafix73's steps, I feel inclined to pitch into this thread and will be the "P150HM+Clevo 680M" lab rat from now on.

I'll flash the 680m_Clevo_OCeditionNew.zip VBIOS this afternoon and report my findings compared against the stock VBIOS and any concerns/issues/bugs I come across, and I'll flash all subsequent VBIOS's after that...

It only seems fair to give something back to svl7!

Hehe, well, I'm not really that often checking PMs over there. I modified the GE60 vbios a long time ago, should finally put it online, that's right... :) I'll try to do it during the next days.

I'm looking forward to that. :) By the way I notice your useful vbios update instruction, really appreciate your dedication. Now I can flash my vbios properly without delusion.

Keep up your good work!

So your not having driver crashes with the 758mhz with unlocked core? Intertesting.

There were a couple of us that were having driver crashes with it and it was only stable at very low OC which didn't produce the same results as some of the other vbios. Not sure what was causing it, I don't remember if it was OV or not.

What are you able to OC your cards to then?

Great, thank you very much for the feedback! So with that vbios you can now change the voltage per afterburner? :)

What system are you using? An M17x R4?

Hi, no problem. You're doing a great work for the community :-)

I'm currently using the "Dell 680m - 80.04.33.00.21 - OCedition_OV," which is the one that allows me to OC both core and memory with Afterburner. Note that this is the only one that allow me to do so. I tried all the others scattered around the pages of this thread and the above-mentioned vbios is the only one that unlocks the cards.

I have an M18x r2. I tried all the various vbios over the Dell stock one.

• Brian featured this topic