NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Started playing around with an old Alienware 14 that had a Nvidia 765m to see if I can OC to get the frame rates up.

I had a stable OC  resulting in a 10fps increase but the throttling at 68C prompted me to flash the vbios with the modded one from this site.

With the same OC settings I'm now minus 20fps!!! what happened???

I'm using driver version 425.31 (release date 4/11/2019)

Any help would be appreciated.

14 hours ago, cigar7 said:

Started playing around with an old Alienware 14 that had a Nvidia 765m to see if I can OC to get the frame rates up.

I had a stable OC  resulting in a 10fps increase but the throttling at 68C prompted me to flash the vbios with the modded one from this site.

With the same OC settings I'm now minus 20fps!!! what happened???

I'm using driver version 425.31 (release date 4/11/2019)

Any help would be appreciated.

I had to up the voltage and adjust gpu/memory speeds to get results closer to what I had before flashing bios. Question, is it typical for OC settings to vary based on the vbios?

Edited by cigar7
More info

• 2 weeks later...

hi all..

i have one question regarding flashing different bios versions.

will i be able to flash "Dell 680m - 80.04.33.00.32__'OCedition'_revised_00" after flashing "Dell 680m - 80.04.5B.00.02_'OCedition'_revised_00" ??

as i can understand 80.04.5B is a higher version of bios file, and ussually bios/firmware can't be downgraded.

also.

Is it possible to adjust voltage with msi afterburner? 

I have tried stock unlocked bios. Cant get core more than +150 and memory+0(is it possible because of overheating memory chips? . Anything more decreases performance(3dmark test 1590 at max)...gpu Temp 65degrees.

After flashing 1.05v version, just temperature goes up, with almost less performance.

Increasing anything crashes 3dmark or hangs pc... So. So little to no tweaking? 

Thanks.

Edited by sani
Update

• Bios Modder
7 hours ago, MatheusJuste said:

Could someone help me try to update a VBIOS on my ASUS ROG G55JM GTX 860M 2GB all the commands I put in error

Hi!

In your case, vbios it's a part of main system bios. In this case, if you need unlock vbios, then you need to modify and flash your main system bios.

On 15/03/2020 at 05:58, Klem said:

Oi!

No seu caso, o vbios faz parte da BIOS do sistema principal. Nesse caso, se você precisar desbloquear o vbios, precisará modificar e atualizar a BIOS do sistema principal.

Would you help me?

I will downgrade the bios and try

• Bios Modder
7 hours ago, MatheusJuste said:

Would you help me?

I will downgrade the bios and try

Your laptop model is ASUS ROG G 551 JM ?

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone

I have an Alienware m17xR4 with GTX680M 2GB  (80.04.33.00.32   BIOS) and finally decide to try and squeeze some extra power out of it.

In general I don't want to overclock or tinker with my rig out of fear that something might happen, but after I read about the 680M chip I realized a safe OC values wont damage the card because it's basically a GTX670 that has been down clocked. 

I read the first post of this thread but I have a few questions about things I don't fully get.

What is the difference between the normal vBios posted in the first post and the ones posted in the second? Is it that the first post vBios is preset and all the sliders/options locked, while the second one is more fine tuned, options and sliders are unlocked and it's more optimized for higher clocks? Or is it the voltage? I know the post is super old and it's possible that the information in it to be just dated.

In your personal opinion how severe are these OCs and do you think they will have some impact on the life of the card? My PC is well look after, it runs pretty cool and I don't play games that often (2-3 times a week for a few hours max). I found 2 links for modded vBios:

From what I can gather from the name of the vBIOS this one has stock voltage. Unfortunately the picture to it is for GTX 660M and it's not very clear what the changes are.

The other link is a collection of mods and has 3 over voltage files(1000, 1025, 1050) and one with "OCedition'_revised_00" name which is probably an older version to the previous file. 

Any opinions which one should I try first? I'm guessing the stock one (with stock voltage), but it's just a guess since there isn't much information what each of these BIOSes changes.

Thanks for the help. 

EDIT:

It's a long thread but I took several hours and went through a lot of posts going way way back, and figured some of the stuff out. Still a couple of things I'm unsure of but I hope I'll get most of it eventually :)

Edited by sorrow1

Well I guess there aren't many people being active in this thread as it use to be and there isn't much attention to it. Probably it's because the Kepler cards are so old and most people have long moved to a newer and better cards.

It's not a big problem and I already answered most of the questions I had. I will just pick a modded BIOS, give it a try and take it from there.

I am still grateful to the people who made those modded vBIOS-es and to TechInferno for continuing to host them. Thanks guys.

3 hours ago, sorrow1 said:

Well I guess there aren't many people being active in this thread as it use to be and there isn't much attention to it. Probably it's because the Kepler cards are so old and most people have long moved to a newer and better cards.

It's not a big problem and I already answered most of the questions I had. I will just pick a modded BIOS, give it a try and take it from there.

I am still grateful to the people who made those modded vBIOS-es and to TechInferno for continuing to host them. Thanks guys.

Hi sorrow1.  Please keep updated with your achievements in oc'ing 680m 2gb card... I still cant overclock whatever vbios i try... Kombustor runs well, but nor games nor 3dmark  wont run when oced, they just crash... 

21 hours ago, sani said:

Hi sorrow1.  Please keep updated with your achievements in oc'ing 680m 2gb card... I still cant overclock whatever vbios i try... Kombustor runs well, but nor games nor 3dmark  wont run when oced, they just crash... 

I'm not an expert but crashes indicate either that you have pushed the card too much and need to scale back the overclock, the card is starved for power (you have stock voltage but pushed the card hard), or maybe just a driver problem. I've read that sometimes bad drivers can cause crashes so the best you can do it clean the old drivers in safe mode with Display Driver uninstaller and then install fresh video drivers.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html   Or just google it choose a download site of your preference.

Of course lastly it could be just a faulty hardware - the issue being the card itself and you won't be able to fix that. Everything has an expiration point and it's bound to get faulty and break down at some point.

• 3 weeks later...

Need help
I think there's problem with my original K3000M gpu, it seems unusual because it shows that gpu clock is 654MHz but it's actually locked at 135MHz and also with memory clock is locked at 324MHz. Using MSI Afterburner to increase gpu clock +135 is useless.

Does it happen to your default K3000M?
Can vBios mods fix this?

Thank you

5flcs2g.pngjDlb3pd.pngOcERG1H.png

• Bios Modder
8 hours ago, jafar said:

Need help
I think there's problem with my original K3000M gpu, it seems unusual because it shows that gpu clock is 654MHz but it's actually locked at 135MHz and also with memory clock is locked at 324MHz. Using MSI Afterburner to increase gpu clock +135 is useless.

Does it happen to your default K3000M?
Can vBios mods fix this?

Thank you

5flcs2g.pngjDlb3pd.pngOcERG1H.png

Hi!

Try run any 3D load in window mode, and simultaneously run Nvidia Inspector utility, and check if you core and memory clock will increase.

2 hours ago, Klem said:

Hi!

Try run any 3D load in window mode, and simultaneously run Nvidia Inspector utility, and check if you core and memory clock will increase.

Here's the test, I only get 7 - 21 fps when playing House flipper and the GPU loads to 99% without any clock speed increasing.

If it was underclocked, so all this time I've never felt the default performance from this GPU lol.

What should I do?

rkvK1qo.png

bhX1CNE.png

Edited by jafar

• Bios Modder
3 hours ago, jafar said:

Here's the test, I only get 7 - 21 fps when playing House flipper and the GPU loads to 99% without any clock speed increasing.

If it was underclocked, so all this time I've never felt the default performance from this GPU lol.

What should I do?

rkvK1qo.png

bhX1CNE.png

1. Completely uninstall MSI Afterburner with all settings. Reboot laptop.

2. Search in Google and download DDU utility. Run it and completely uninstall all Nvidia drivers (in Safe Mode). Reboot laptop.

3. Download and install new Nvidia drivers with enabled option "Clean Install".

Then run any 3D load in window mode, and in same time run Nvidia Inspector utility, and check if you core and memory clock will increase.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Klem said:

1. Completely uninstall MSI Afterburner with all settings. Reboot laptop.

2. Search in Google and download DDU utility. Run it and completely uninstall all Nvidia drivers (in Safe Mode). Reboot laptop.

3. Download and install new Nvidia drivers with enabled option "Clean Install".

Then run any 3D load in window mode, and in same time run Nvidia Inspector utility, and check if you core and memory clock will increase.

I've tried your suggestion above correctly but the results are same.