Acer Aspire V3-5xx series - BIOS mods for higher Nvidia GT640m clocks

svl7

Hi, just install it manually. Check the name of your wifi and bluetooth adapters and download drivers up to date from atheros.

I have this notebook too with this bios mode overclocked on 1114 / 1250 more than two months and without any problems. 3DMark 11 - some about 2700 points.

Edit: I forgot to say big thanks to svl7 for this amazing mode! :)

• Thumbs Up 1

I was wondering...should I post the BIOS for the .016 version of this notebook? I mean the one with 6 gigs of RAM, Win8 and the 3630qm processor. Apparently it's just a slightly refreshed model, it shouldn't be hard to port this mod, but personally I don't know how to do it.

Edit: Ok so apparently there's no chance of overclocking this specific model because the BIOS chip isn't accessible. However it seems like memory can be overclocked quite a bit. Right now I'm trying to get the best performance out of BF3, and apparently overclocking the memory does help quite a bit. However I still have to find out how far I can push it. Has anybody tried this already? I'm just looking for the sweet spot to stick with before it starts artifacting, any hints?

Wait, If the bios chip isn't accessibile why acer release bios updates as zip packages.. I have the stock bios 2.13 as a zip file.. Why not mod that one and flash it as a regular update or using USB recovery method..

I think I found a way around the error we got earlier, will see what I can do. I could use a backup of the bios (use this) and a screenshot of GPU-Z (while using the latest official bios).

I tried using FN + ESC recovery method with secure boot option disabled, but no luck! what about force downgrade from 2.xx to 1.xx using fptw64?

• 2 weeks later...

Modified version of BIOS v2.13 is up here.

Instructions:

- Make sure you're on v2.13.

- Grab this flash tool, run the included .bat file to create a backup of your current BIOS.

- Use the tool provided by me (link at the beginning of the post) to prepare your BIOS image for flashing. You need to have your bios dump in the same folder, run the tool and follow the instructions.

- Flash the created file with the FPT tool, use this command: "-f v213modFix.bin -bios"

If it comes up with an error, let me know and I'll post more instructions.

just ordered a new model on Amazon and i'm guessing its the newer 2.x BIOS. I would love a mod as well. Do you need any assistance?

Also do you take donations? I would love to send ya a few bucks for your time and effort. Thanks SVL7.

Yeah, I do... :PHere's my donation link. Cheers!

• Thumbs Up 5

Modified version of BIOS v2.13 is up here.

Instructions:

- Make sure you're on v2.13.

- Grab this flash tool, run the included .bat file to create a backup of your current BIOS.

- Use the tool provided by me (link at the beginning of the post) to prepare your BIOS image for flashing. You need to have your bios dump in the same folder, run the tool and follow the instructions.

- Flash the created file with the FPT tool, use this command: "-f v213modFix.bin -bios"

If it comes up with an error, let me know and I'll post more instructions.

Yeah, I do... :PHere's my donation link. Cheers!

my error code:

PDR Region does not exist.

GBE Region does not exist.

Error 28: Protected Range Registers are currently set by bios, preventing flash access.

Please contact the target system BIOS vendor for an optionto disable Protected Range registers.

using the tools provided in the post I got Error 104: The 2 SPI flash devices do not have compatible command set

:too_sad:

Ok, I expected something like this... there are still some things to try, but I need to know a couple more details. You say you got error 28, but also 104... which version of FPT did return error 104 and which one error 28?

Also please post the output of the tool when you get error 104.

ok, bios flash succesful using freedos, but I can't overclock more than 810mhz (405mhz stock speed), nvidia inspector show a grayed shader speed tab instead of boost speed... see attachment.... my 3dMark 11 scores were lower than when I ran it on official overclocked 2.13, tried overclocking the p8 state, right click apply clocks and voltage and then apply to all higher p-states but no luck, not enough voltage.. :(

nvidia inspector screenshot:

post-10080-1449499448707_thumb.jpg

GPU-Z vmodded 2.13 @ stock clock

post-10080-14494994487324_thumb.gif

I'll take a look at it when I'm back home sometime tomorrow, but you need to provided some more information... saying that the 3dm11 scores are lower doesn't help me at all.

sure... just tell me what kind of information you need, before bios Vmod my stock core clock was 624mhz / 709mhz boost clock, overclocked @ 844 mhz (+135mhz boost) and 900 mhz memory clock overclocked @ 1000 ...my 3dmark score was 2180 / 2210 marks

now I have 405mhz stock clock 405 mhz boost clock and 1000 mhz memory clock, max boost overclock is set to +405 @ 810, and I get 1975 2000 3dmarks