Dell just published a new BIOS version for the R4, A05

Download link (direct)

No change log on the Dell site, no idea what's up with Dell, pretty annoying if you ask me, releasing something like this with no change log. Maybe [MENTION=4186]Alienware-Frank_L[/MENTION] can provide some more information? :)

EDIT: Seems this BIOS brings 680m overclocking & boosting... pretty cool!

Guest Alienware-Frank_L

Yeah, actually I haven't posted yet cause we don't have the CL ready. Boost and OC are some of the features. I'll come back with the "Official" link and CL, we just want to be sure. :)

I wish... The BIOS setup utility is different than the one in the last AW generation, the "old" unlocking method doesn't seem to work anymore. I'm not sure whether I could figure out a new way, and even if, it'd take quite some time. At the moment I don't have time to disassemble bios files and play detective... Also I don't have a system to test it myself, that's a big issue. I don't want to accidentally brick the system of anyone while experimenting. :dispirited:

• Thumbs Up 3

Yes it is. You must be really unlucky to get a brick... and even then, your covered by the warranty.

I thought that updating the BIOS is under warranty but DELL support does not think the same. A user of NotebookReview, Long2905 has problems (updating bios A05 = R4 brick). He called the support and said " According to them, updating BIOS without a tech's guidance is considered user's neglect therefore isn't covered by warranty". Finally fixed the problem calling repeatedly to support ......but at the beginning they did not want to support.

I already had to deal with the Dell guys at the phone... and only one time I talked to someone who actually knew what he was talking about. It can be annoying as hell... really. The BIOS is user upgradable, there's a reason for BIOS updates and there's also a reason why they put them on the Dell site.

A phone rep who says you need a tech's guidance for a BIOS update is a moron, especially since all gets flashed from within Windows, even with a GUI. Also... what's the difference if you have a tech guiding you and you still get a brick? I mean there's nothing a tech could do to avoid this...

I already had to deal with the Dell guys at the phone... and only one time I talked to someone who actually knew what he was talking about. It can be annoying as hell... really. The BIOS is user upgradable, there's a reason for BIOS updates and there's also a reason why they put them on the Dell site.

A phone rep who says you need a tech's guidance for a BIOS update is a moron, especially since all gets flashed from within Windows, even with a GUI. Also... what's the difference if you have a tech guiding you and you still get a brick? I mean there's nothing a tech could do to avoid this...

I totally agree.

• Founder

That's been one of my chief complaints about Dell support for a long time. It may be better than other companies like Asus but shit support is still shit support.

Now i'm just waiting for the box to ship the laptop to their depot station in houston texas or something.

A question?

You warranty is "Next business day"?

A technician can go to your house to make the repair, do not understand why sending the deposit.

• Founder
A question?

You warranty is "Next business day"?

A technician can go to your house to make the repair, do not understand why sending the deposit.

Because Alienware makes the customer think it's a necessary step but if the customer fights them on it, they will win. It's just most don't even bother arguing and instead send it to a depot where it is usually scratched up and damaged by some underpaid technician.

Thanks for the clarification.

In my country, Spain, the technician usually comes home.

In the second year standard of the warranty, send the deposit. If you buy the advanced warranty (NBD) usually comes home the technician.

• Founder
Thanks for the clarification.

In my country, Spain, the technician usually comes home.

In the second year standard of the warranty, send the deposit. If you buy the advanced warranty (NBD) usually comes home the technician.

It's the same in the USA but sometimes the Alienware reps. on the phone convince people to do the opposite by sending it to the depot.

I do have Next Business Day actually. I wasn't aware I could do that. Bu then I also told them I have no idea why my PC did not power on so I thought they need to do some diagnostics on it or something. I guess they can come to my house and do that? Also my schedule is very tight so it's not easy to stay at home and wait for a tech to come. Guess I will try to call them again later today.

So a little update on my situation. Since the call on Saturday, I waited for the box and it came today. But reading around a bit it seems sending to depot is not a good idea. So I made another call to get a technician instead. The rep kept telling me it is a bad idea to send in a technician in case like this since they have to replace very delicate parts (cables, mainboards,CPU, and GPU) and home environment is not ideal. But I insist on that since I paid for the service and I need my laptop by the end of the week, so he gave in. He told me he would cancel my current depot order and would call me back tomorrow to set up a technician. So that's that, hopefully I can get everything sorted out by the end of the week. Still, any advice is always welcome guys.

• Thumbs Up 2

Best of luck to you Tony and Dragon, errr Long :)

It's too coincidental that a BIOS flash would brick your notebook as you were one of my first testers in the MSI and we did a lot of flashing back then and nothing serious ever happened.

Sent from my Sensation

• Thumbs Up 2