MSI G-Series Unlocked BIOS

Xonar

Hello again guys...

I have MSI 16F2 (683R) with Intel i7-2630QM (inside TDP 45W) and i7-2960XM (55W wanted to buy).

I have successfully flashed unlocked UEFI for 16F2 (3.0Z), please could anybody nice answer the two questions:

1. Is ONLY needed setting for i7-2960XM in MSI 683R to type the 55 value in TDP[Watts]? (There are other values as TDCurrent in [Ampers] etc.)?

2. Could be Boot Select Mode unlocked too (UEFI/BIOS)? MSI 683R has an UEFI FW, but forces boot with BIOS mode, so I can't have GPT startup drive with W8-1...

Hi Guys,

I've looked for new bios for gt780 and found this decent thread. I start wondering as I have msi gt780 17", which has model number: ms-1761 under battery slot.

So, which bios I should pick up, whitebook or gt780 :monkey:

I was looking for information about retail/whitebook but no luck, dunno which is which. Could anybody help, please?

• Bios Modder
Hi Guys,

I've looked for new bios for gt780 and found this decent thread. I start wondering as I have msi gt780 17", which has model number: ms-1761 under battery slot.

So, which bios I should pick up, whitebook or gt780 :monkey:

I was looking for information about retail/whitebook but no luck, dunno which is which. Could anybody help, please?

If your laptop is MSI GT780, then you need bios only for MSI GT780 (not for any Whitebook).

- - - Updated - - -

Is it possible to change the TDP values in the CPU PPM to get a greater turbo overclock ?

Yes in unlocked bios you can change the TDP values in the CPU PPM to get a greater turbo overclock, but it will have affect only if your CPU is i7 3720QM and above (if we spoke about 3-th generation of Intel mobile CPUs).

• Thumbs Up 1

I've made bios update successfully but I had a problem with AHCI. I've changed AHCI from RAID in ADVANCED tab but still I couldn't run my systems (win7 & win8) due to AHCI problem.

After messing around in bios I found second AHCI option in MAIN tab. That was it, all starts working as usual.

Did anybody, was brave enough and made step by step description of all options available in this bios?

Would be nice to have a guide which options modify for safe speedup.

Thank you very much for that stuff. Toy for big boys :)

Hello all,

Firstly I'd like to say thanks to everyone who contributes to this website.

I've read through countless webpages and this entire sticky, all 84 pages, and am looking to get something clarified. The unlocked BIOS for the GX740, does it or does it not support AHCI for SSDs? I've done quite a bit of unlocking on the BIOS, seemingly everything and cannot get the Chipset tab to show up or make any headway in having the BIOS recognize my SSD when it is set to AHCI mode. If anyone can let me know, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again to all.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking to flash the bios on my ms-1761 version 3.06 at least thats what it says in the bios, and I was wondering if my whiteboard msi x7-8800 from cyberpowerpc.com is the same as the one in this post, as far as I understand it will be good to go even though everyone is saying the msi whiteboard mobo's can't be flashed and you'll brick them every time

Update: Successfully flashed the bios, love all the new options now all i need to do is read on what they all do and go from there, already tried the xmp ram profile 1 and my cmos needed to be reset probably because I'm running 1333 bus ram, haven't found where to overclock the cpu but I'm sure i'll have to use throttlestop500a now, further updates to come! thanks xonar!

<form id="form" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; top: 20px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); text-transform: none; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; word-spacing: 0px; white-space: normal; position: absolute; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;"><input class="input-delete" style='background-position: -82px 0px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px currentColor; left: 250px; top: 17px; width: 29px; height: 19px; font-family: 微软雅黑, 宋体; position: absolute; cursor: pointer; background-image: url("chrome-extension://dehbijahfabddfbolechpnlgoblcgpie/images/button.png"); background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat;' type="submit" value=""></form>Why can't I download?

Why I can not download ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Greetings from Portugal.=)

Im a new user in this forum hope someone can help me.

I had a msi gt660r but the motherboard "burned", so since i was going to spent Money in a new one, i bought a ms16f21 version 1.2 motherboard, 2nd generation i7 cpu, and a nvidia 675m gpu and i installed everthing last week.

Basicaly its a msi gt683dxr with a 675m, but i think the fan is going very fast in idle, the temps are fine since it is dust free and i put new termal compound in it, cpu 43º gpu 47º (idle), also the fan button is not woking like before, when its On it slows the speed of the fan (still i think it makes to much noise) if its Off it goes turbo strange the button is working like this.

Maybe its me i forgot that this laptop makes to much noise, but i dont remeber my gt660r make this kind of noise (Ex: If the laptop is in my living room i can hear it in my bedroom).

Does anyone knows what might be the problem of my msi?

Can someone make a bios where we can controll the fan speed?

Thank you

<form id="form" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; top: 20px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); text-transform: none; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; word-spacing: 0px; white-space: normal; position: absolute; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;"></form>Why can't I download?

Why I can not download ?

You've got to have 5 useful posts on the forum to be able to download files.

Hi

Greetings from Portugal.=)

Im a new user in this forum hope someone can help me.

I had a msi gt660r but the motherboard "burned", so since i was going to spent Money in a new one, i bought a ms16f21 version 1.2 motherboard, 2nd generation i7 cpu, and a nvidia 675m gpu and i installed everthing last week.

Basicaly its a msi gt683dxr with a 675m, but i think the fan is going very fast in idle, the temps are fine since it is dust free and i put new termal compound in it, cpu 43º gpu 47º (idle), also the fan button is not woking like before, when its On it slows the speed of the fan (still i think it makes to much noise) if its Off it goes turbo strange the button is working like this.

Maybe its me i forgot that this laptop makes to much noise, but i dont remeber my gt660r make this kind of noise (Ex: If the laptop is in my living room i can hear it in my bedroom).

Does anyone knows what might be the problem of my msi?

Can someone make a bios where we can controll the fan speed?

Thank you

Download Fan control tool by Pherein Fan Control Tools by Pherein v1.0.4 and RW everything http://rweverything.com/downloads/RwX64V1.6.5.9.zip and you will be able to make your own custom fan profiles.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it possible to upgrade MS-16F2 to 680m gtx with unlocked bios?

No.

Hi

Thank you for your fast anwser.

Yesterday i saw a user with the similiar problem and i did download the tool and it works, but when i make a new fan profile my msi only responds to step 7, meaning i cant make the other steps to work (Ex: Step 1 40º = 35% Fan - Step 2 50º = 65% Fan... Step 7 80º = 100% Fan).No matter what tempertures my msi is he only responds to step 7.

I will install windows 7 today, since im wondering if its because of windows 8.1 this is happening.

Another issue is the brightness is acting funny, if i start to add more brightness (FN+Key) it doesnt respond very well the brighteness keeps going up and down, but in this case i know its not windows because inside bios it acts the same way, i think this problem maybe its my power adapter only has 90watts, im waiting for a new one but i dont play games so i dont damage it, i tried only once runing msi kombuster and he automaticaly throtle down and the brighteness goes nut.

Any ideias?

Sorry for the letter =S.

Thank you

Download Fan control tool by Pherein Fan Control Tools by Pherein v1.0.4 and RW everything http://rweverything.com/downloads/RwX64V1.6.5.9.zip and you will be able to make your own custom fan profiles.

- - - Updated - - -

No.

Hey Xonar, i have recently fallen on your post while i was searching for a solution to get mantle support on my laptop...

i have an MSI GX60-1AC whixh i pretty cool with a modded graphics driver, but enduro and powerXpress is not that good... so i have decided to flash the bios..

and i was wondering if your modded bios will be compatible... and to get some advices from you..

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

I have an MSI gt660r - an older model I know but it has the 16F1 motherboard, in theory would the "Whitebook v1.0L" bios from the table on page 1 work?

Thanks in advance,

J

HI,

Just short info.

GT683DX - Modded Bios working fine. Flashed without any problem.

At beginning, I set something wrong, and I had black screen :)

Blind flash didn't work... no beep, no nothing.

So I opened laptop, unplug cable to reset the bios..., after that, it works.

I set what I knew, and working good.

Just co confirm... 16F2 - does not support optimus technology?? That is something which I was wondering, before I change it to enable :)

Hey all,

i got a question i bought a GX660 wich works well but i wannted to give its some boost and added a samsung 840 evo and 8GB dd3 Kingston memory @1333 now the ssd works fine but the memory is giving me trouble

befor eteh ssd i had teh memory installed and was running win 7 32 bit no wwith teh new ssd i got win 7 64bit tto use all teh mem but problem is now it keeps rebooting windows so now my question is doe anybody now how i can solve this problem will flashing my bios help me out cause i already tried gx660r bios but the problem remains?

Hello Xonar, Hello everyone.

Im having a problem with my GT70 - having BSOD TDR 116 errorcode. No solution ever found. I noticed that my GPU crashes by BSOD after switching from 0.85V to 0.92V.

I was thinking about flashing my BIOS with an unlocked version, disabling 0.92V power state and see if it helps.

What do you think guys? Is the GT70.30M bios good for me?

Thank you.