MSI G-Series Unlocked BIOS

Xonar

• Bios Modder
Thanks for posting this!

MSI GT60 0NE is based on MS16F3.

A couple of questions for you:

1) Have u tried it with Optimus off OR dGPU alone? Rumors have it that MSI branded models have the lcd connected only to the Intel HD4000, so when u turn Optimus off the Notebook gets #@$%#%, i.e. you cannot see anything!!!

2) I know u didnt do it yourself but I will attach the latest MSI GT60 0NE bios. Can u plz send it your friend to do the same mods he did on the Medion Bios?

[ATTACH]10786[/ATTACH]

3) The reason I want Optimus OFF is to use the GTX680m in a Hackintosh machine & I ve been struggling with this issue for over a year now.....

Thanks in advance!

You can not disable Optimus. Because technology Optimus is not only software in bios and drivers! Its also hardware. As you say, LCD connected only to the Intel HD4000. And its not only in MSI. It Optimus for all.

post-11295-14494997035101_thumb.jpg

post-11295-14494997034706_thumb.jpg

post-11295-14494997034918_thumb.jpg

You can not disable Optimus. Because technology Optimus is not only software in bios and drivers! Its also hardware. As you say, LCD connected only to the Intel HD4000. And its not only in MSI. It Optimus for all.

[ATTACH]10787[/ATTACH][ATTACH]10788[/ATTACH][ATTACH]10789[/ATTACH]

So what is the fastest gpu I can get for my optimus based laptop ?? Is there a optimus bios for 680m so it can work behing the igpu ?

[ATTACH]10787[/ATTACH][ATTACH]10788[/ATTACH][ATTACH]10789[/ATTACH]

You are quite right on this. However,

1) Since the technology is Muxless (ie No extra Hadware required to mux LVDS signals like in Macs), when Nvidia is enabled the IGP is only used as routing to the LCD. So dont lose hope yet!

2) I noticed this on my Optimus Notebook. When Nvidia is OFF, Everest Engineer does not list it in PCI DEVICES!

When an app/game that is set to use Nvidia in executed, it is only then that the Nvidia GTX 680m appears in the Everest PCI Device listing.

3) Based on my research on ACPI tables (due to Hackintosh) in order to utilize the Nvidia card, an ACPI function is called (ON) that changes the Power state of the Nvidia card.

The technology is therefore based on OS (software) that calls ACPI table (BIOS) functions to change modes between Nvidia ON and Nvidia OFF.

4) What we are looking for is not to turn off the IGP, but to have NVIDIA always ON. Then you get unleashed Nvidia Power with the cost of Power consumption.

Based on the above, this can be accomplished either by

a -messing with DSDT (only possible for Hackintosh but not EASY at all)

b -Utilizing an incorporated BIOS feature that has the NVIDIA card ALWAYS ON. This is possible in some Optimus notebook brands but NOT for MSI BIOS.

5) if ftln's modded bios does that (the b scenario), then this will be possible (disabling Optimus dynamic switching --> dGPU always ON).

@ftln: Can u please list the available Graphics options in the modded Medion BIOS?

You are quite right on this. However,

1) Since the technology is Muxless (ie No extra Hadware required to mux LVDS signals like in Macs), when Nvidia is enabled the IGP is only used as routing to the LCD. So dont lose hope yet!

2) I noticed this on my Optimus Notebook. When Nvidia is OFF, Everest Engineer does not list it in PCI DEVICES!

When an app/game that is set to use Nvidia in executed, it is only then that the Nvidia GTX 680m appears in the Everest PCI Device listing.

3) Based on my research on ACPI tables (due to Hackintosh) in order to utilize the Nvidia card, an ACPI function is called (ON) that changes the Power state of the Nvidia card.

The technology is therefore based on OS (software) that calls ACPI table (BIOS) functions to change modes between Nvidia ON and Nvidia OFF.

4) What we are looking for is not to turn off the IGP, but to have NVIDIA always ON. Then you get unleashed Nvidia Power with the cost of Power consumption.

Based on the above, this can be accomplished either by

a -messing with DSDT (only possible for Hackintosh but not EASY at all)

b -Utilizing an incorporated BIOS feature that has the NVIDIA card ALWAYS ON. This is possible in some Optimus notebook brands but NOT for MSI BIOS.

5) if ftln's modded bios does that (the b scenario), then this will be possible (disabling Optimus dynamic switching --> dGPU always ON).

@ftln: Can u please list the available Graphics options in the modded Medion BIOS?

Here are all my bios options -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g1HyZgB8JE

mhh does anybody has an idea to solve my problem? i unlock my bios with amibcd and flashed succesfull but every time if i change the settings in the bios and press save and exit the settings weren't applied ! and in the bios i can't change the multiplier in bios ....

i habe a 4700mq...

Works like a charm for me (MS16-F1@MSI-GX660r)

Just a little question, is it good to enable Xtreme Edition upport for i7 720QM?

And could i put a i7 3rd gen. into my laptop with full supported features (clock and so on)?

Thanks for the wonderfull Bios mod!!

Works like a charm for me (MS16-F1@MSI-GX660r)

Just a little question, is it good to enable Xtreme Edition upport for i7 720QM?

And could i put a i7 3rd gen. into my laptop with full supported features (clock and so on)?

Thanks for the wonderfull Bios mod!!

Only first gen i CPUs works in your system so no.

Hey guys,

I´m planning to buy an older PC with 1 year warranty for just 1500 bucks. It´s MSI GT-70 0ne, which I think is really worth the money and comes with 1 year warranty also. As an old tweaker I´d like to ask you if some of those BIOSes really fits my new laptop (I guess the 3rd gen core GT-70 should be the correct one). But I´ll rather ask cuz it´s better to be safe than sorry. I wouldn´t really like to brick my new PC by some nonsense fault.

Thanks a lot for your answer guys.

// edit

So I changed my mind and bought GX60 instead, bcs the GT70 was in showroom with 2500 persons / day and used pretty hard for a year, so it was not as good choice as it seemed to be.

Tried to unlock the bios with bios mod MSI GX60 in here, but it seems it´s for older GX60 models. I have the BE3 model with A10 / 8970m, so I´ve already requested mod. Hope it comes soon :D

i observed problems with your xonar unlocked system bios for my gt70 i7 3630qm gtx675mx win7 64bit. it works fine till the moment a program tries to use the nvidia-gpu. it ended always in a bluescreen (nvidia-video-driver error). flashing back to stock bios (last one for win7) solved this problem. i choosed acpi and legacy bios as i used with stock bios and win 7 booted up and worked stable with intel-gpu, so it must be another preset or parameter problem which prevented the use of the nv-gpu.

i observed problems with your xonar unlocked system bios for my gt70 i7 3630qm gtx675mx win7 64bit. it works fine till the moment a program tries to use the nvidia-gpu. it ended always in a bluescreen (nvidia-video-driver error). flashing back to stock bios (last one for win7) solved this problem. i choosed acpi and legacy bios as i used with stock bios and win 7 booted up and worked stable with intel-gpu, so it must be another preset or parameter problem which prevented the use of the nv-gpu.

My GT70 BIOS is a very old image (way before 675mx support). You will need to use a new BIOS version for support. No, I don't have one.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Xonar.

I've searched for a while, but could not find anything:(

I am looking for option to boot GT680 into UEFI. However, only bios i found was 30p version, and it still could not boot into uefi device. Also, i saw someone flashed 16f2 bios on 16f3 mobo for some reason. Is it possible to do the opposite?:D Help would be really appreciated.

I have a msi gt60-one, do you have a bios that allows you to change the max temp at which the GPU throttles? I want to change it from 87c to 95c, a response would be greatly appreciated :D

That's not controlled by the BIOS, it's a VBIOS related thing,

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, Xonar.

I've searched for a while, but could not find anything:(

I am looking for option to boot GT680 into UEFI. However, only bios i found was 30p version, and it still could not boot into uefi device. Also, i saw someone flashed 16f2 bios on 16f3 mobo for some reason. Is it possible to do the opposite?:D Help would be really appreciated.

Crossflashing the 16F3 BIOS on the 16F2 will brick it.

- - - Updated - - -

Struggling to find a .rom file for the MSI gt680, any help would be greatly appreciated

What do you mean? You can simply change the filename to .rom.

Already done that xD

Though not cross flashing, but i've tried to inject efi boot modules into 16f2 bios. Now got problem restoring it back -.-

Is it 100% correct information that blind flash works with ctrl+home?

I've tried formatting both fat16/fat32, 4gb/16gb flash drive. Renamed bios into AMIBOOT.ROM, but all i've got - led on flash drive blinking 4 times, and then nothing happens. No beeps or anything. If i do not press ctrl+home - it does not blink at all. Any advices or did it screw up my boot block as well?

• Bios Modder
Already done that xD

Though not cross flashing, but i've tried to inject efi boot modules into 16f2 bios. Now got problem restoring it back -.-

I've tried formatting both fat16/fat32, 4gb/16gb flash drive. Renamed bios into AMIBOOT.ROM, but all i've got - led on flash drive blinking 4 times, and then nothing happens. No beeps or anything. If i do not press ctrl+home - it does not blink at all. Any advices or did it screw up my boot block as well?

Which bios you renamed into AMIBOOT.ROM?

Place it here.

Hello Xonar and all other people here.

In few words...

I got MSI GX660 (ms16f1) and i asked MSI Technical support for new bios version. They send me 1.0L and i flash it successful. But all cool menus for CPU, Memory,SATA, VGA and other settings was missing ! So i asked for the old one. They send it to me, i flash it same way and = black screen. After this they just told me "Ask MSI Bulgaria (i'm from Bulgaria) to help you) But they don't even know here is no such company! No MSI service- nothing for MSI customers! And they don't respond for a week so i want to try "blind flash".

Now when i turn on my laptop, everything starts, but on indicator lights only "sleep" indicator light up, nothing else. And black screen, no light - nothing.

I've read most of the thred (not all 83 pages), and i can't find out which file should i rename to AMIBOOT.ROM ? ? ?

As i don't have access to your ms16f1 BIOS file i will try with 1.0L version that MSI Technical support send me.

I got files: E16F1IMS.10L , AFUDOS.EXE , bioschk.exe , kernel.sys , flash.bat

Is there a chance to give me link for your BIOS and some instructions on PM ?

Thanks a lot and i hope i will save my baby :(

Already done that xD

I've never got the boot block recovery to work when I had a 16F2, I had to manually program the chip. Upload the BIOS for me and I'll look up the recovery name.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello Xonar and all other people here.

In few words...

I got MSI GX660 (ms16f1) and i asked MSI Technical support for new bios version. They send me 1.0L and i flash it successful. But all cool menus for CPU, Memory,SATA, VGA and other settings was missing ! So i asked for the old one. They send it to me, i flash it same way and = black screen. After this they just told me "Ask MSI Bulgaria (i'm from Bulgaria) to help you) But they don't even know here is no such company! No MSI service- nothing for MSI customers! And they don't respond for a week so i want to try "blind flash".

Now when i turn on my laptop, everything starts, but on indicator lights only "sleep" indicator light up, nothing else. And black screen, no light - nothing.

I've read most of the thred (not all 83 pages), and i can't find out which file should i rename to AMIBOOT.ROM ? ? ?

As i don't have access to your ms16f1 BIOS file i will try with 1.0L version that MSI Technical support send me.

I got files: E16F1IMS.10L , AFUDOS.EXE , bioschk.exe , kernel.sys , flash.bat

Is there a chance to give me link for your BIOS and some instructions on PM ?

Thanks a lot and i hope i will save my baby :(

Recovery name for BIOS (E16F1IMS.10L) is ABPZ.rom try that with the version you're running right now. What version did you flash after that?

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi Guys I want to unlock this bios for my GX700:

http://download.msi.com/nb/bos_exe/1719_122.zip

Doesn't seem to be done yet.

So I tried to see what I could do with amibcp, but it doesn't recognize the file. Seems MSI is using their own format for the flashing tool?

Should I dump the flashed bios instead? what program can I use for that?

Thanks for the help.

Recovery name for BIOS (E16F1IMS.10L) is ABPZ.rom try that with the version you're running right now. What version did you flash after that?

Thanks for help :)

I've just tried that with ABPZ.rom but nothing! I press start buton, right after that spam CTRL+Num7 (Home) i try also with CTRL+Fn+Num7 but it is same: USB Flash drive blink few times also "thinking/CPU activity" led blink few times. I Wait for about 10 minutes and restart, but nohing different.

This is the last update for my BIOS by MSI, and it is working OK, cuz i tried it. After that when i asked for original one, they send me this bios: E16F1IMS.109

Both times i flashed bios under DOS with bootable USB Flash stick. In the each archive i got file flash.bat which i start, wait for all process to finish. on each sector it says "completed" and restart.

Should the USB flash drive be bootable now? I think it does not matter ! And i extraxt all files on the USB, or should be only BIOS file ?

May be i should try with E16F1IMS.109 ? What name must be given to file ?

P.s: One MSI guru told me that 109 is too old and may be can't recognize some HW. I got 1.0F (this was my original), but do someone know autorecovery name for it ?

Or this here unlocked one from Xonar ?

MSI give me that directions:

1. download 1.0F bios ( they give me one file named 0abpz.rom )

2. Put file into the USB drive under the root directory. U disk to use the FAT32 format.

3. Power on while holding down the power button + ctrl + home

Nothing different :( i think i'll disassembly my baby and go for reprogram bios chip :(