MSI G-Series Unlocked BIOS

Xonar

I bought a laptop MSI GE60 with Windows 8 and I want to change to windows 7. But on the MSI wrote that I can’t change BIOS if was already installed for Windows 8.

“- If the notebook you purchased has Win7 Bios installed, please DON'T attempt to update using Windows 8 bios (or vice versa). Failure to abide may result in bricking your system.”

http://www.msi.com/product/nb/GE60-0ND.html#/?div=BIOS&nbos=win8

Can you please tell me if there is a way to flash it.

Cheers.

Hi thanks Xonar,

I already have been on the way to give my SSD Crucial M4 back until I have found your thread and this forum.

I bought by accident a GX660R and thought a SSD would be fine.

The BIOS was very moody to accept the SSD.

But I tried to load default setting in BIOS and after reboot it was ok until the next time..lol

So I have updated the BIOS with the tool from MSIHQ team and it runs fine now.

regards

andy20

Congrats on your work!Q: For a MS-GT60(15.6''):.30MMSI GT60 Unlocked.zipDoes the unblocked BIOS let you disable the Integrated or the Discrete Graphics card?THanx for answering

You can disable it yes.

Hi there

I have MSI GT70 0NE-609US Dragon Edition upgraded as shown below:

Intel i7 extrem 3940xm 3.0GB

Corsair 32GB ram 1866MHz

Nvidia GForce GTX 680M 4GB

Motherboard MS-1762

The bios is locked and I will unlock it using the files in this topic to get the highest perforemance.

But it is my first time doing that so i need your support and advice to configure sittings in bios to get the best if u don't mind

Hi

Advice please:

1. Where is the CMOS battery is a GX60?

2. Can I solve the problem with RAM unlocked BIOS flashing (the problem with RAM: a total of 8 GB, and 3.46 is available, the rest of the hardware are reserved 4.45 GB; problem on any windows and Linux x64)?

3. Not there be a problem with the BIOS firmware unlocked? I have one such was: post-9332-14494994179216_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the answers!

You can disable it yes.

Thats excellent.. For Optimus (Nvidia + HD4000) systems it has been difficult to install Mac OSX86 with graphics because of the the two cards designed to work together. If the BIOS allows one of them to be disabled, then graphics on Optimus OSX86 is an option.

Has anyone tried it?

If so, the unlocked BIOS allows for which one to be disabled?

thanx

Hi

Advice please:

1. Where is the CMOS battery is a GX60?

2. Can I solve the problem with RAM unlocked BIOS flashing (the problem with RAM: a total of 8 GB, and 3.46 is available, the rest of the hardware are reserved 4.45 GB; problem on any windows and Linux x64)?

3. Not there be a problem with the BIOS firmware unlocked? I have one such was: [ATTACH=CONFIG]5799[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the answers!

1. CMOS should be in the same location as the pictures on the second post.

2. RAM is reserved by the Operating System for caching purposes. It's to get better performance, this is normal with Windows 7, 8.

3. No clue, you could add the -x parameter to the .bat file to force flash, but it's your risk. Others have flashed the BIOS just fine without it.

2 . No. It isn't normal! AIDA64 sees 2*4Gb, but works (for the unclear reasons) by single channel! From here RAM productivity in Windows 5.9, instead of 7.3-7.4. Why that 1 RAM doesn't want to work (((I think it a problem in Bios! (This RAM is running on another laptop in dual channel mode)

Friends have same laptops with 8Gb memory! Under hardware needs only 500 Mb are allocated, and at me 4.5 Gb are reserved is hardware)

post-9332-14494994179316_thumb.png

great job...I always so admire that someone in the world doing this good deed for people.

I have a question though,does this unlock the function of en/disable CPU Hyper-threading??

Yes, you can disable/enable HyperThreading.

Hi. Is this bios available in non raid version?

You disable RAID yourself in the BIOS after flashing.

:01:THX Trustudio Pro not working after update bios on GT780DX

Try to reinstall it.

Hey @Xonar have you done a blind flash on the gt683dx? I'm trying to get my new mobo working it's version 1.0 and my original one was version 1.2.

Thanks dude!

No sorry man. I haven't had any bad luck and everything about blind flashing I know is from reading other people say it works on the web. :(

- - - Updated - - -

Hi thanks Xonar,

I already have been on the way to give my SSD Crucial M4 back until I have found your thread and this forum.

I bought by accident a GX660R and thought a SSD would be fine.

The BIOS was very moody to accept the SSD.

But I tried to load default setting in BIOS and after reboot it was ok until the next time..lol

So I have updated the BIOS with the tool from MSIHQ team and it runs fine now.

regards

andy20

What tool from MSIHQ?

Hi there

Corsair 32GB ram 1866MHz

Motherboard MS-1762

The bios is locked and I will unlock it using the files in this topic to get the highest perforemance.

But it is my first time doing that so i need your support and advice to configure sittings in bios to get the best if u don't mind

Just ask. If I don't respond promptly, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you. It means I haven't had time to catch up on here.

2 . No. It isn't normal! AIDA64 sees 2*4Gb, but works (for the unclear reasons) by single channel! From here RAM productivity in Windows 5.9, instead of 7.3-7.4. Why that 1 RAM doesn't want to work (((I think it a problem in Bios! (This RAM is running on another laptop in dual channel mode)

Friends have same laptops with 8Gb memory! Under hardware needs only 500 Mb are allocated, and at me 4.5 Gb are reserved is hardware)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5800[/ATTACH]

Have you ever reformatted before? It could be some software you are using.

Are you using integrated graphics? I bet that will be reserving some RAM for sure. But 4.6GB seems kinda high...

What tool from MSIHQ?

I have used the flash tool what the MSIHQ Team created to flash MSI BIOS. (MSIHQ Tool 1.19R9 Installer)

I could use even your zip file and I checked in the USB Stick if it is well installed and prepared for flashing and it was ok.

Respected Xonar, in your BIOS for the GX60 is a function of complete shutdown 7660G?

To completely disable the technology Enduro.

And it is possible to overclock the CPU in the BIOS?

I apologize in advance for my curve English.

Yes, you can disable/enable HyperThreading.

You disable RAID yourself in the BIOS after flashing.

Try to reinstall it.

No sorry man. I haven't had any bad luck and everything about blind flashing I know is from reading other people say it works on the web. :(

- - - Updated - - -

What tool from MSIHQ?

Just ask. If I don't respond promptly, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you. It means I haven't had time to catch up on here.

Now I have a question.

Which file should I downlad from the table??

Whitebook: MS-1762(17'')

or

Retail: MS-GT70(17''):

Corsair 32GB ram 1866MHz

Motherboard MS-1762

ALso when I try to download any file, I got this messege:

LSX Monster, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

• Founder

LSX Monster, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

@LSX Monster

try again buddy, you should be fine now.

It takes up to 1 hour to update your status to elite member.

It working now I've downladed both files.

MSI GT70 17"

MS-1762 I'm confused which one is for my laptop?

I copied the downloaded 3 files and put them in the USB. I trird to boot from USB but whrn I press F11 and choose usb driver as boot device it give me loading screen then start windows not the dos interface.

What should I do to flash my bios? My laptop is running Win8 Pro

Hi

Is anyone who can response to my question. May be is to difficult or to silly?

I am green in this subject and I couldn't find answer.

I want to change original MSI bios from one to other version. But they say: “...- If the notebook you purchased has Win7 Biosinstalled, please DON'T attempt to update using Windows8 bios (or vice versa). Failure to abide may result in bricking your system...”.

"bricking your system" mean Windows or BIOS. If BIOS is it true? There is no way to Change it?

MSI GE60-0ND

<o:p> </o>

Thanks

Hi

Is anyone who can response to my question. May be is todifficult or to silly?

I am green in this subject and I couldn't find answer.

I want to change original MSI bios from one to otherversion. But they say: “...- If the notebook you purchased has Win7 Biosinstalled, please DON'T attempt to update using Windows8 bios (or vice versa).Failure to abide may result in bricking your system...”.

"bricking your system" mean Windows or BIOS. IfBIOS is it true? There is no way to Change it?

MSI GE60-0ND

<o:p> </o>

Thanks

Bios level. Basically as Bios on shipped windows 8 is EFI you can't upgrade a shipped windows 7 laptop with a windows 8 bios except playing with the files. One guy tried and bricked is laptop.

Not sure if you can upgrade a shipped windows 8 laptop with a win 7 bios but I will not even try. Maybe you dont brick the laptop in such case but I am not sure to whatwill happen to your windows key and activation.

According to MSI both BIOS are the same except the Windows 8 protection system.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, i have problem on gaming. When my laptop is heating my fans not working %100 and performance going down. i'll try this mod :)

IS that heat or throttling ?

you can also try the Beta EC that you can findon MSI forums.

Not sure if it helps for throttling but seems to ease for GC OC.

• Thumbs Up 2

Welcome to my unlocked BIOS thread for MSI G-series gaming notebooks!

I am currently looking for people with 3rd-gen core-i (Ivy Bridge) G-series notebooks as testers. Please contact me if you are interested.

Hi, i have MS16F3 Notebook, i can test unlocked bios for MS16F3 :)

IS that heat or throttling ?

you can also try the Beta EC that you can findon MSI forums.

Not sure if it helps for throttling but seems to ease for GC OC.

I guess throttling. No turbo fan button on my panel or turbo boost button. Is there any keyboard shortcut for enable TurboFan? Fn+F1 won't work. I tried Beta EC 5.04 but still same..