M17x R3 - 880M on Linux possible?

s9suh

tl;dr: do i have to mess around with the modded drivers to get an 880m working on linux?

Hello,

Recently I picked up my old laptop and decided I wanted to get it up and running again. It was a hand-me-down from someone and it kept having a blue screen issue, and it would never go away no matter how many fixes I tried. Anyways, I believe I have narrowed it down to a GPU issue, and since I'm gonna replace it I thought i might as well get the highest upgrade I could, and after doing some digging I found this website for the unlocked bios, but I've also had an urge to make a linux laptop or something of the sort so I was wondering: Is it possible to install an 880M into this laptop and use it on linux? the only question I have about it is if the modded nvidia drivers would work or how I would get them to work.

If it helps heres the specs,

CPU: i7-2720qm 2.2ghz

GPU: GTX 480m (believed to be faulty)

RAM: TEAMGROUP Elite DDR3L 16GB 1600MHz (just bought this off amazon and installed it because I believe the ram was also faulty)

Im not sure if theres anything else I need to list in specs or if theres any extra files i need but let me know and Ill try to get them.