Alienware M17x R3 -- Fresh install. Cannot get past "Starting Windows"

NomisGnos

I have an Alienware M17x R3.  I was going to repurpose/revitalize the machine.  It had Manjaro installed on it, before that Ubuntu.  It collected dust and now I want to reinstall Windows 7 on it.  Windows 10 did not work.  Then I tried Windows 7.  It installed. Then the problem started.  It keeps saying "Starting Windows" but then it just shows a white screen, sometimes purple, but then it shows a black screen afterwards.

The bios was updated. A12 unlocked.

The GPU was updated a long time ago from 680M to a 780M.  I remember doing those modded .ini files on the nvidia drivers but since it came from Manjaro I didn't have to worry about it.

I tried to do integrated GPU but it doesnt work on mine because it's that 3D laptop that doesn't seem to have it.  

I tried SAFE MODE and it basically says I have to run it in NORMAL mode to finish installing. But I can't because of the issues stated above.

Any help is much appreciated!

Usually for the 780M to work in the R3 you have to disable HD Audio in the BIOS. Once everything is installed you can try to enable it again to get your sound back. I've heard some people say that they didn't have to disable it but then other had to. This could be your issue. 

It's also possible that the GPU has failed or is pretty close to failing. 

Yes, there is no integrated graphics with the 3D screen. The display is run directly off the dedicated Nvidia card so the Intel graphics is permanently disabled. 

Also make sure that your BIOS is set to PEG video mode. If the 3D screen is set to any other mode it will not boot. 

If you do get Windows to load then you will have to mod the .inf to get a driver to install. 

Also, Windows 10 will work on the R3. I have a few R3's that are all running Windows 10 with no issues. Once you get it working with Windows 7 installed then you can go to Microsoft and use the Media Creation Tool to upgrade to Win10. If you installed Win7 using the old Alienware installation CD then you can get Win10 as a free upgrade. 

@MattyB Can I buy you a beer?  That was it.  Disabling HD Audio in the BIOS allowed me to move forward.  Makes perfect sense, too.  LOL.  I don't remember doing that when I upgraded my GPU to a 780M but then again it already had Win7.  Reinstalling Win7 probably never happened. 

Anyways, you are a life savior man.  I found my old Alienware install CD and I will upgrade it to the Win10 soon.  Thank you for the detailed instructions.  I seriously spent all last night trying to fix this up with Windows 7.

27 minutes ago, NomisGnos said:

@MattyB Can I buy you a beer?  That was it.  Disabling HD Audio in the BIOS allowed me to move forward.  Makes perfect sense, too.  LOL.  I don't remember doing that when I upgraded my GPU to a 780M but then again it already had Win7.  Reinstalling Win7 probably never happened. 

Anyways, you are a life savior man.  I found my old Alienware install CD and I will upgrade it to the Win10 soon.  Thank you for the detailed instructions.  I seriously spent all last night trying to fix this up with Windows 7.

Awesome! No need for a beer, I drink too much already. 

Did you manage to get a modded driver to install?

I didn't install it yet. I am busy trying to get the drivers updated.  I did download the Media Creation Tool and it's starting the Windows 10 upgrade...but maybe I should update the nvidia drivers first?  I figured the drivers had to be updated again because the executable does not seem to be the same.

@MattyBAfter seeing the sticky thread.  My mind is fried.  Can I confirm with you.

1. I download the lastest drivers for this GPU.
  2. Open via 7z
  3. Edit nvdmi.inf
  4. Display.Driver -> open nvdmi.inf (notepad) CTRL+H -> Find What: 05AE Replace With: 0490 -> 'Replace All' -> done (Windows all versions) 

Is that right?

Also what driver version you up to? anything I should know about?

With the Windows 10 update I usually just use the Media Creation Tool to Update This PC and it tends to work without an issue. 

You can use the USB option but I sometimes find that if the system hasn't had Windows 10 on it before then when it finishes installing you won't get an activated licensed Windows 10.

If you're having issues then I would use the Windows 7 installation CD (if you still have it) and format the drive and do a fresh installation. If you just have the Home version then you'll have to download all the drivers from Dell Support first as you won't have any internet after the fresh install. There is a suggested driver installation order for Windows 7

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/how-to-clean-windows-7-install-driver-install-order-guide-for-alienware-systems.556721/

With the driver mod here is a basic rundown of how I do it. It seems like a lot but only takes a few minutes

Download the latest driver for your GPU

Download DDU

Run DDU in Safe Mode to remove the old driver files

Try to run the driver and let it fail, do not close it down

Go to your C: drive and Copy and paste the NVIDIA folder in the C: drive so there will also be an NVIDIA - Copy folder

Close the failed installer and the original NVIDIA folder will disappear

Go to Device manager and find the codes for your GPU/Laptop. I save one of the lines onto a notepad for later

- codes are found in Device Manager - Display Adapters - right click on the GPU (or Microsoft Basic Display Adapter) - Properties - Details - Select Hardware ID from the dropdown

- The GPU code is the 4 digits directly before &SUBSYS

- The laptop code is the first 4 digits of the 8 digit number

- The manufacturer code is the last 4 digits of the 8 digit number. The Dell code is 1028

Open the nvdmi.inf and scroll down to the first list of Hardware ID's 

Change one of the lines so that it contains your GPU code and Laptop Model Code. There are two places in the Hardware ID that need to have your GPU and Laptop codes

%NVIDIA_DEV.13D7.0550.1028% = Section045, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_05501028

13D7 is the GPU code in the line above. 13D7 is for a 980M

0550 is the Laptop code in the line above but yours will be different

With older drivers there was support for Windows 7, 8 and 10 so this list will repeat itself two more times. Scroll down and make the same changes in each identical list so you make sure you get the right OS for your machine. This step is often missed and usually the reason for a failed installation

Scroll almost to the bottom of the .inf and find the strings. Change one of them to again include your GPU and Laptop code and the GPU description.

Yours will need to say "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M"

NVIDIA_DEV.13D7.0550.1028 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M"

Save and exit the .inf and close the folder.

Restart the laptop with Disable Driver Signature Enforcement. The process is different from Windows 7 and 10.

- It will default back once the system restarts so you have to install the driver directly after this

When it restarts go to the NVIDIA - Copy folder and run the Setup.exe from inside the International folder

The driver should install. 

Part way through the installation a red/white warning will pop up. Just agree with it and the driver will finish installing. 

Edited by MattyB

Technically, driver support for the 780M ended some time ago but you can usually modify the newer drivers to accept the unsupported cards. These drivers obviously have not been optimised for the unsupported cards but it can be a workaround to play games that can only be played on specific drivers. 

The newest drivers are only for Win10 and 11 though so you can't do this if you're still on Win7.

Thanks again!

I just did what I said before and did a FIND and REPLACE for those values and installed the drivers without any issues.  The drivers for the GPU looks like it was necessary because the Media Creation Tool kept closing at the 100% progress bar and then it would just do nothing.  Installing the drivers actually finished the install.  I am currently waiting for Windows 10 to be done 'updating' but it's definitely on Win 10. 

@MattyB I apologize for mentioning you again but I think I got everything recognized (under device manager, no unknown devices), windows 10 installed, GPU drivers installed.  However how do I get the audio to work again.  If I turn it on BIOS (HD Audio), it will do that blank screen.  I tried to install those drivers (even though it says Windows 7) on Dell's website but it says "unrecognized hardware".

I have seen some people who got the sound to work again, I'm not sure how though. I will try and do some digging.

5 hours ago, NomisGnos said:

After much research, it looks like I cannot get it to work.  It will most likely be hooked up via HDMI or a USB soundcard anyways.  Thanks Matty

Maybe this can help. I think it has something to do with getting the right process order. Is the system set to PEG?