P150SM upgrade to 980m Failed after 1 week. Need help!

OnaStack100

I have a p150sm which has a seemingly dead 780m due to a perpetual error 43 which came after a big BSOD about 6 months ago. I upgraded the laptop to a 980m and modded the inf files. The upgrade was perfectly fine for a week. One day, i left the laptop and something related to sleep or power may have caused the laptop to shut off. Since then, the laptop with the 980m won't boot. I tried many things like resetting cmos, taking out the hardware and putting it back in, and resetting bios, and buying a 230W adapter. Nothing worked. The laptop works fine with the old dead 780m in there, but now when the 980m is in there, holding the power button generates a green light flash and then the power LED goes back to orange. No sounds, maybe one tick, and that's it. What is left to try?

On 10/31/2021 at 9:54 PM, OnaStack100 said:

I have a p150sm which has a seemingly dead 780m due to a perpetual error 43 which came after a big BSOD about 6 months ago. I upgraded the laptop to a 980m and modded the inf files. The upgrade was perfectly fine for a week. One day, i left the laptop and something related to sleep or power may have caused the laptop to shut off. Since then, the laptop with the 980m won't boot. I tried many things like resetting cmos, taking out the hardware and putting it back in, and resetting bios, and buying a 230W adapter. Nothing worked. The laptop works fine with the old dead 780m in there, but now when the 980m is in there, holding the power button generates a green light flash and then the power LED goes back to orange. No sounds, maybe one tick, and that's it. What is left to try?

Was you having any temperature issues with 980? If you can, try check it on another laptop. Look for any physical damage on the mxm card itself.

• 5 months later...
On 10/31/2021 at 8:54 PM, OnaStack100 said:

Hey @OnaStack100

why did you had to mod the inf-files for the 980m on your P150SM?

I have a P157SM with 780m and the exact same error 43 after an error in Adobe Photoshop CC with blue screen. Since then my card never re-alives again! And now I wanted to buy a 980m, too

Edited by Arrow