Upgraded to Win 10, lost display drivers.

apox

Hello, I've come here to hopefully seek some advice on how to fix my drivers for windows 10. Specification details are, I have an older Sager/Clevo P170EM laptop (optimus) that I upgraded a year ago from a 670M to a 1060. I figured out how to do all the .INF modifcations and finally got the driver working on windows 7.  I am now stuck with "microsoft basic display adapter" and unable to seem to fix my drivers. I have the original nvidia driver folder that worked version 388.71 but its for windows 7 and is not installing. I have booted with "disable driver signature off" and when I try to install the driver it says the classic "no device found". I've not been able to manually inject the driver either in device manager (which previously would work in windows 7). I was really hoping to upgrade to windows 10, and also possibly upgrade the graphics driver to a newer version but it turns out I've been just left with no GPU anymore :( 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am fairly savvy at the .INF process and willing to troubleshoot. 

• Bios Modder
33 minutes ago, apox said:

Hello, I've come here to hopefully seek some advice on how to fix my drivers for windows 10. Specification details are, I have an older Sager/Clevo P170EM laptop (optimus) that I upgraded a year ago from a 670M to a 1060. I figured out how to do all the .INF modifcations and finally got the driver working on windows 7.  I am now stuck with "microsoft basic display adapter" and unable to seem to fix my drivers. I have the original nvidia driver folder that worked version 388.71 but its for windows 7 and is not installing. I have booted with "disable driver signature off" and when I try to install the driver it says the classic "no device found". I've not been able to manually inject the driver either in device manager (which previously would work in windows 7). I was really hoping to upgrade to windows 10, and also possibly upgrade the graphics driver to a newer version but it turns out I've been just left with no GPU anymore :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am fairly savvy at the .INF process and willing to troubleshoot. 

Hi!

Try download and use already modified .INF files from this place:  https://premamod.wordpress.com/2017/08/15/j95-nvidia-inf/

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, I guess it just took a deeper dive to figure it out. I had previous tried just the generic premamod driver with no success. I just manually downloaded 417.71 (as the link doesn't work on prema anymore), and also downloaded the NV_DISPI.INF_V417.71_WIN10_PEG_DEDICATED_AW_ASUS_CLEVO_MSI.ZIP. I opened the .INF in this download and saw it does not even contain any code for GTX 1060s. I added "%NVIDIA_DEV.1C20.7102.1558% = Section048, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C20&SUBSYS_71021558" in both version areas and created a string for my laptop. Low and behold it worked! and diablo 2 resurrected even works! This was the entire reason for searching for an updated graphics driver and updating windows as well. The game told me there was no graphics device detected on an old 388.71 driver version and windows 7.

Thank you so much! all I needed was someone to tell me to revisit a previous attempt lol