Modded video driver for GTX980m and M18x R2

I think i need a modded driver for my gtx980m, i have an Alienware M18x R2 and i installed the new graphics card along with the A11 unlocked bios but when windows installs the NVIDIA driver it says in device manager that the device has stopped.  My laptop is running off of the default graphics and not the new card. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My Hardware ids are:

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_05501028&REV_A1

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUSSYS_05501028

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&CC_030000

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&CC_0300

Edited by blAteNt_iNsAnity
spelling

Hey mate. Did you make a post on the Dell community forum? I'm at work and I can't download/install programs on my work computer which means I can't mod a driver for you right now but I can help walk you through it. You can also read through this guide which should help out 

https://null-src.com/posts/nvidia-notebook-driver-inf-mod/post.php

First thing to do is use DDU in safe mode to completely remove any trace of an old driver

Then download and attempt to install the latest Nvidia driver from their website

Keep the failed installer open and go to your C: drive and find the NVIDIA folder

Copy and paste this folder in the same C: drive directory. It will auto-name itself NVIDIA - Copy

Close the installer and the original NVIDIA folder should disappear

Go into the NVIDIA - Copy folder and navigate into the Display.Driver folder

Scroll down and find the nvdmi.inf and open it up

Scroll down and find the list of ID's and scroll down to the last one that starts with %NVIDIA_DEV.13D7

Make an empty space under this and paste this line in

%NVIDIA_DEV.13D7.0550.1028% = Section045, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_05501028

Scroll right down to the bottom of the .inf and find the list of Strings and find the last one that starts with NVIDIA_DEV.13D7

Make an empty space under this and paste this line in

NVIDIA_DEV.13D7.0550.1028 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M"

Save the .inf and exit and close the NVIDIA - Copy folder

Hold SHIFT while clicking on Restart

Once it restarts go to;

Troubleshoot - Advanced Options - Startup Settings - hit restart on the screen

Select Option 7 to Disable Driver Signature Enforcement

Once it restarts go to the NVIDIA - Copy folder and go into the International folder.

Scroll down and double click on the Setup.exe and the driver will start installing

If it works then you'll be greeted with a warning. Accept it and you're good to go!

Thanks for all the info I will take a look tomorrow. If I can't get it to work I may send the card back for a replacement as it is not doing anything but black screening when I set bios to PEG mode. If I set BIOS to SG mode the Nvidia card will show up in device manager but keep getting error codes.  I purchased the card on Amazon and I fear I may have got a bad one.

It's possible. I see a lot of people who have issues with the 980M. 

Just make sure that you have the BIOS set to UEFI with Load Legacy ROM and Secure Boot both disabled. 

Switching to UEFI means you have to reinstall Windows

Yes, that is how I have it.  Had to reinstall Windows.  I did all that before installing the new card. GPU-Z can't read the info from the video card.  It lists the brand and model leaves the rest blank. I'm going to go out on a limb and says it's a faulty card.  Windows did install a driver for the 980M but it's still saying device has stopped Code 43. I was able to mod the driver following your directions and it installed but still same problem.

Edited by blAteNt_iNsAnity

If you remove the driver then you should be able to see the details on GPU-Z. I replied to the Dell post before seeing this one. 

Most likely the card is faulty but it's remotely possible that a vBIOS flash could fix it. If you start doing this then you may not be able to return the card though.