Question about clevo laptops

spamator12

It is possible to upgrade graphic card in any clevo laptop that has MXM slot? As I understand it should looks like upgrading graphic in a PC - it does not matter what CPU/bios/board you have, if you have PCIE slot you can put inside newest graphic card and it will work (maybe not in a full speed mode, but it will work). Are there some whitelists/bioses/CPU restriction in clevo laptops? I understand that heatsinks should also be changed when adding a new GPU, but EVERY MXM slot GPU will work?

Does clevo laptops have CPU nests (CPU is not soldered/glued)? Desktop CPU are welcome but mobile are also accepted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Exchanging video cards in the slotted systems is usually hampered by BIOS support primarily.  Secondarily, there may be power differences in the slot, with wiring changes,and I believe the slot key will change in relation to these differences. As you go up in the GPU levels, the power draw changes, and there are additional power cables to connect, using different connectors.  There are compatibility possibilities, but don't expect it to be straightforward.

On the systems with desktop CPU's, they do have sockets you can drop different CPU's into.  I haven't seen a socket-ed mobile processor in a while though, so I'm not sure how prevalent that is these days.

I know for my P870DM-G Clevo, I COULD put a MSI 1070 MXM in it, but I would have to dremel the surrounding case frame brackets to get it to physically fit.

And I would need a custom VRAM Bios update to support it.