[M17x R2] with AMD 7970M CrossfireX

Is there any flashing caps/num/scroll lights with just the new card in the primary slot?

Put the new card back into the secondary slot and boot into DOS and run "atiflash -ai 1" just to see if the new card is actually flashed with the vBIOS from my sig.

Is there any flashing caps/num/scroll lights with just the new card in the primary slot?

Put the new card back into the secondary slot and boot into DOS and run "atiflash -ai 1" just to see if the new card is actually flashed with the vBIOS from my sig.

gives me

bios version 015.019.000.000.42817 config file BR042817.008

which is your stoke vBios right?

Yeah that's the correct version, but any of the modded versions will report the same version number as they're based on that version. The only way to easily check which modded version it is without loading the GPU is to run GPUshark and check the detailed view to see the all 3D mode settings.

Yeah that's the correct version, but any of the modded versions will report the same version number as they're based on that version. The only way to easily check which modded version it is without loading the GPU is to run GPUshark and check the detailed view to see the all 3D mode settings.

How would I get that to work. Right now it will just give me the vga adapter info as the only way I have been able to load into Windows with that card is without the drivers installed

Yeah, my bad. At this point I dont think the modded vBIOS matters since the card is running in 2D mode. The modded bit is for 3D mode.

Did you flash the stock version in the root of the folder in the zip file? Not from the forced or normal folders? If so, I think you may have to try another vBIOS. What vBIOS were you running when the cards worked even though you had the secondary card stuck in 3D mode?

Yeah, my bad. At this point I dont think the modded vBIOS matters since the card is running in 2D mode. The modded bit is for 3D mode.

Did you flash the stock version in the root of the folder in the zip file? Not from the forced or normal folders? If so, I think you may have to try another vBIOS. What vBIOS were you running when the cards worked even though you had the secondary card stuck in 3D mode?

So I have now Flashed with the normal and forced stock and 0.975 vbois with no luck. After installing the new beta drivers I get hung up at windows every time. I have a message into alien hack for his vbios. Any other Ideas.

P's. I totally appreciate all your time and am going to have to buy you a beer

Try the latest WHQL which I think is 13.4 if I remember correctly.

Here's AlienHacks vBIOS, if you want to give it a try. I've used it on my CLEVO's with the same hardware revision as your's and it works. The clocks are 750/1100 but that can be adjusted if it works.

Beer's not necessary, just hope you get it to work man :)

Dell 7970M-ES vBIOS.zip

Try the latest WHQL which I think is 13.4 if I remember correctly.

Here's AlienHacks vBIOS, if you want to give it a try. I've used it on my CLEVO's with the same hardware revision as your's and it works. The clocks are 750/1100 but that can be adjusted if it works.

Beer's not necessary, just hope you get it to work man :)

When I go to flash it I get a said mismatched error. Old 0270 new is 0551. Do I force flash it?

The original vBIOS that came with the card doesn't work?

I do know their normal procedure is to inspect the card and they only charge you for the damaged component on the card if any at all (This is excluding shipping back and forth which is at your expense). Basically you are at the mercy of their tech's which isn't an ideal position to be in :(

That said, I do think your card isn't bricked and will work in another laptop. Since you can still flash the card, I would flash the original vBIOS back before sending it to them.

I'm sorry it didn't work out, I've run out of ideas here. Maybe svl7 has a few tips/tricks you could try. @svl7 some help please?

The original vBIOS that came with the card doesn't work?

I do know their normal procedure is to inspect the card and they only charge you for the damaged component on the card if any at all (This is excluding shipping back and forth which is at your expense). Basically you are at the mercy of their tech's which isn't an ideal position to be in :(

That said, I do think your card isn't bricked and will work in another laptop. Since you can still flash the card, I would flash the original vBIOS back before sending it to them.

I'm sorry it didn't work out, I've run out of ideas here. Maybe svl7 has a few tips/tricks you could try. @svl7 some help please?

Hey I appreciate it. No that vbois didnt work. Its good to know about their policy. I actually sent a email off to them today asking what there policy is. Its a piss off though as I thought I had a good understanding off what I was doing for the hardware which. software not so much. Oh well. Thanks again.

• 1 month later...
I received early in the morning a couple of 7970Ms and a cfx cable from MXM Upgrade Home Page

3DMark11

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4432[/ATTACH]

Unigine

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4433[/ATTACH]

If you are upgrading from the 5870Ms, the screws are a bit bigger in diameter and they won't fit the backplate of the 7970M (probably a clevo card? I will find out soon). Other issues I encounter is that both display and HDMI port don't work so I attach my Dell 2410 with a VGA cable... Temps are fine and I am idling at 56-58 C with the external monitor attached (which brings the clocks up to 300/1200 @0,825V) so not that bad.

really want to know the continuation of this venture. Have to make [M17x R2] with AMD 7970M CrossfireX? my Alienware M17xR4 i-7 3720QM, AMD Radeon HD 7970M and

I really want to raise performance in the game Battlefield 4. I tried to raise the graphics performance, but enough for 20 minutes, then the system has fallen and I returned to the initial setting ... I was advised to flash the bios for my card, but I can not find full instructions - how to do it correctly: (

The M17x R2 is the only model in Alienware's M17x range that is able to use two 7970M's. From the R3 onwards they are designed for only a single MXM graphics card.

The good news is since you're looking specifically for increasing performance in BF4 and your 7970M uses the GCN architecture, there is hope on the horizon. Once AMD releases their Mantle driver and BF4 is updated to support Mantle, you should see a significant increase in performance.

Read more about this here.

The M17x R2 is the only model in Alienware's M17x range that is able to use two 7970M's. From the R3 onwards they are designed for only a single MXM graphics card.

The good news is since you're looking specifically for increasing performance in BF4 and your 7970M uses the GCN architecture, there is hope on the horizon. Once AMD releases their Mantle driver and BF4 is updated to support Mantle, you should see a significant increase in performance.

Read more about this here.

thank you very much, waiting for new drivers

• 2 months later...

Hey guys I've finally got a modded 330vertical And am running in Cf. I reflowed my first card that was giving me weird vertical lines. It fixed the problem, hopefully more then just temporary. I can game and run 3d mark 11 no problem getting scores around 10000. But I get a bsod running 3dmark. Do you guys think it's my reflowed card struggling or a driver issue. I'm currently uSing the latest beta ccc. Any ideas would be great. Don't want to buy another card if I don't have to as I have clevo cards which are hard to find and the prices have been jacked

I also get a bsod in Firestrike depending on the driver version I'm using. Make sure ULPS is disabled. Are you running Windows 7?

hey Nospheratu, i have it disabled. Im running windows 7 64 bit. It also BSOD halfway through running cloud gate.

• 3 weeks later...

The reason I asked for your OS is, I dual booted Windows 7 and 8 and I didnt get the BSODs on Windows 8. It could have been due to the fresh OS install since I used the same driver that gave me BSODs in Windows 7. This was also only on 3Dmark whereas 3Dmark11 ran fine.

The reason I asked for your OS is, I dual booted Windows 7 and 8 and I didnt get the BSODs on Windows 8. It could have been due to the fresh OS install since I used the same driver that gave me BSODs in Windows 7. This was also only on 3Dmark whereas 3Dmark11 ran fine.

I've tried different driver just don't feel like reinstalling windows. Don't have the patience to do it right now. Cards run great.... A little hot. I'll do a repast soon. Can run bf3 nicely. Just a conflict with 3dmark. Thanks for the input though

• 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hello T|I. New here, first post . Recently I got myself a 1x780m for my m18xr2 and figured I cpuld put my 1x7970m from it into my m17xr2. It was a straight swap, no driver change no bios swap. It worked wonders. Did some stress tests and some gaming no problems. Till a couple days ago. My screen went white.... tried the vga trick and nothing wont come back. Tried disconnecting and reconnecting the cables inside nothing.... so my question is if I put a new lcd panel in will I have to worry about it bleaching my screen again?

• 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi everybody

My name is George and i would like to upgrade my video card to 8970m, m290x, etc. i know you have a lot of experience about it and that's why im looking for your support to select the best option to my project, which option do you recomend?:

1.- The Cross fire option but without i have to do the PSU MOD
2.- The best single card option support for my m17x R2 (as yours)
3.- Can you share me some examples from ebay

I'm new in this topic i've read a lot here and in other forums ando also a see the scene has advance on this.