[M14x R2] - VBIOS mod for higher boost clocks - TEST VERSIONS ONLY

svl7

I found this bios version: Driver Details | Dell United States

I extract this a04bios and use this method: http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m18x/1981-how-recover-bad-flash-alienware-m18x-r2-2.html )the name will be m14r2.hdr. My other question would be that is it important to remove the battery?!, but I think the answer is:YES :) Some recovery method dont mention to remove ur battery.. The other process is the same. It is clear! I will have offical a04bios

After the administrator acitvate my account I can download ur modded a10bios and how can I install it? (regular way) use the previous method or this? http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/2166-%5Bguide%5D-nvidia-vbios-flashing.html

Thanks for ur patience and sorry if i asked something stupid thing

Ohh just dircetly install it by using flshook?

After I did this method I write down the results! I hope everything will be correct!

I found this bios version: Driver Details | Dell United States

I extract this a04bios and use this method: http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m18x/1981-how-recover-bad-flash-alienware-m18x-r2-2.html )the name will be m14r2.hdr. My other question would be that is it important to remove the battery?!, but I think the answer is:YES :) Some recovery method dont mention to remove ur battery.. The other process is the same. It is clear! I will have offical a04bios

After the administrator acitvate my account I can download ur modded a10bios and how can I install it? (regular way) use the previous method or this? http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/2166-%5Bguide%5D-nvidia-vbios-flashing.html

Thanks for ur patience and sorry if i asked something stupid thing

Ohh just dircetly install it by using flshook?

After I did this method I write down the results! I hope everything will be correct!

yes, the battery needs to be removed. yeah that's the way to go!

i just noticed that the modded a03 gives an 404 when trying to download, is this wanted? thread: http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m14x/1841-%5Bm14x-r2%5D-vbios-mods-unlocked-overclocking-limits-voltage-tweaks-modified-clocks.html

@Toltan Kassay As soon as you downgraded, you can unzip the downloaded folder containing SVL7's modded bios and just run the InsydeFlash.exe, this should do it.

as allways, anyone, please correct me if wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1

i just noticed that the modded a03 gives an 404 when trying to download, is this wanted?

No, that's not intended, might be related to some changes concerning the CDN, I hope there aren't more dead links... this needs to be fixed.

I had time to downgrade.. And it's so easy i cant believe that. Im on offical a4 from off. a10. Big thanks for @svl7 and @deadbydawn.

Next step is: put back the battery and install svl7 a10 bios :D

Im on svl7s a10 bios. The only error was that my alien wasnt shut down when finished the the installation of a10 but the screen appeared. I wait about 10 min. but nothing happen. I turned off with the alien key. It seems everything working well ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, you would need to go back to unmodified A05 or earlier by using the USB recovery method and then flashing the modified bios the regular way. Just make sure to really follow the recovering procedure properly, quite a few people ended up with a brick when doing this with a M14x R2, I can't tell for sure whether it's due to user error or just random errors during the recovery - all I know is that this method works very well on the M18x R2 (if done properly).

@svl7! I installed ur a10bios and it works good, i had no problem with the downgrade. My question is: Is it normal that gpu core voltage drops from 1,037V to 1,012V? my settings are the following: 1130/2800

Woo hoo, up and running :-)

Steps for anyone else preinstalled win8

Prepare the usb key as per prev posts.

Turn off secureboot & turn on legacy (your laptop wont boot back into windows any more)

Do the blind flash of the stock dell os.

Laptop still wont boot because a04 doesnt have a uefi option.

Remove your boot hdd & replace it with an empty one.

Install windows to the replacement drive

Do the modded a10 flash

Replace your existing boot hdd

Turn on uefi

Boot & enjoy.

My experience was slightly different. I pulled an old hard drive out of my drawer expecting to install windows on it. Turns out it had win7 on it from when i upgraded my old laptop to ssd & it booted no problems?? No HAL errors or fatal exceptions?? I didnt complain, just flashed svl's bios and rebooted with my original drives :-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok, what is everyone using to clock?

Using msi afterburner i dont see any difference? I can overclock by +135 & +1000 same as i could before flashing the modified bios.

Am i missing sonething? Do i need to change something in the newly unlocked menus of the bios?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I'm using MSI afterburner as well, and I do see a difference, not in the memory clock but in the core clock, I get the option of +405 and +1000, but I don't see voltage going over.925, and any setting over +200 on the GPU core clock causes my graphics driver to fail when I launch either MSI kombustor or 3DMARK11. Not sure if that's just because of the lack of extra voltage or not, I can go the full 1000 on the memory clock and nothing goes wrong, but I see people on here posting 350-950 and they run no problem. Is it just that I have to change the GPU voltage somewhere else myself?

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I should also state that I'm using m14x R2 with i7 3630QM processor, 12GB RAM, I had it OC'd with all turbo settings enable, 99w max turbo power, 99w max short term power, 106mhz core clock (I changed this back to 100 because I saw that some people got better results with the OC off on processor due to power), but I did leave the turbo settings on. I'm getting around P3120 on 3dmark11 with 200-950 in MSI afterburner, but just curious if I can go the 350-950 or more like other people post if I can somehow adjust the voltage to GPU. I was using intel xtreme tuning utility for the processor adjustments. Also I have no real temp problems, I'm seeing around 80 max on processor and the GPU is only going to about mid60s any time I've checked

I want to downgrade my bios A09 to A04 and then put your bios A10 VMOD.

A person would link the official bios A04?

Drivers & Downloads | Dell United States should also mention that when you go to bios on this page, under the bios file there's an option "earlier versions" that's what you need to click on to find the a04 version

also just wanted to thank all you guys for your hard work, especially svl7, since this is my first time posting, my first real gaming computer, and so my first time overclocking or doing any sort of this thing, and I flashed from a08 which came with my computer, to a09, then a10 (stock) and just decided yesterday I would do yours, so flashed back to stock a04, then your modded a10, using a hard drive with vista (vomit) installed on it, then slapped my win 8 loaded HD back in and here we are. I'm more advanced than an average computer user for sure, but you guys make this so easy it's incredible.

• Thumbs Up 1

post-9097-14494994226862_thumb.png I'm getting no difference between regular clock and boost clock with this new bios, and it's not reaching 100% usage at all. MSI kombustor shows throttling of 745mhz, not sure if it's throttling or not with 3dmark11 but just curious if these pics and log file can help you to tell me what's going on? I don't know if the voltage change is something I need to do myself or something that's already programmed by the new vbios. It's definitely performing better than without the unlocked bios, just not sure if there's more I'm supposed to do or not. Any suggestions?

GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt

post-9097-14494994226659_thumb.gif

I removed the boosting in this version, I reckoned that it's easier to overclock without boost. With boost you'll never really know how high the GPU will go, and when it might get unstable. With this version you just have the 3d clock, even though the card might clock down if the load isn't 100%. The log shows that whenever there's high load on your card, it clocks perfectly well up to 1150MHz, so everything's fine, and the 3dM11 looks good.

MSI Kombustor is the same as Furmark, it's good for only one thing - killing cards. It stresses mostly the voltage supply circuits and is really no use at all. It's a good thing that the driver throttles the card when this app is launched, else it might cause serious issues. So just don't use MSI Kombustor or Furmark and enjoy your card :)

good to know thanks for taking a look at it. And the fact that it doesn't use any of the memory it comes with I guess is just normal because I have so much ram on the computer itself? Also, if It isn't using it's own memory, is there any benefit to simply leaving the memory at stock and only overclocking the core?

guys i could not flash the a03 bios the one from svl7 could u guys help me plz ;( i have now bios a10 i want to the flash the unlocked a03 tell me how plz it says flash write error in SMI

welcome ashknani, being that you are on a new stock bios you cant change to a lower bios from the windows bios flash utility. you would need to do a "blind flash" to get to a custom bios from your current state. if you read through these threads there is a link to a step by step, but there is a higher than normal chance of bricking your laptop this way if not done exactly right. I bricked 1 myself thinking it was not working after like 5 mins of beeping and unplugged it like a dummy,lol. it was either locked up or i didnt give it long enough. just be fully sure you have the process down 100% if you decide to go for it. I did again after studying the process while waiting for a new board. knowing what this card is capable of now I am glad I did it.

welcome ashknani, being that you are on a new stock bios you cant change to a lower bios from the windows bios flash utility. you would need to do a "blind flash" to get to a custom bios from your current state. if you read through these threads there is a link to a step by step, but there is a higher than normal chance of bricking your laptop this way if not done exactly right. I bricked 1 myself thinking it was not working after like 5 mins of beeping and unplugged it like a dummy,lol. it was either locked up or i didnt give it long enough. just be fully sure you have the process down 100% if you decide to go for it. I did again after studying the process while waiting for a new board. knowing what this card is capable of now I am glad I did it.

i couldnt find that thread could u help me plz ?