[M14x R2] - VBIOS mod for higher boost clocks - TEST VERSIONS ONLY

svl7

From my testing the battery clocks do not have any boost so you are correct, only the 3d profile turbos

Can you do me a favor and attach a GPU-Z log while you run on battery? Just want to be sure about something... A quick log is fine, just make sure it contains some idling and also a while with the GPU at load. Thanks.

having 11766 in 3dmark vantage. now with your boost i got this: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3720QM Processor,Alienware M14xR2 score: P12855 3DMarks

it definately gave me a boost, giving me the highest vantage score ever on my 14x-r2. thanks a lot @svl7 :D

- - - Updated - - -

btw: awesome! :D

post-1903-14494993308406_thumb.jpg

1070 / 2300... I wonder if the power cable is different betwen the R1 and the R2. I was using the old R1 cable before and I switched to the R2 cable (as I just sold the R1). The r1 says 80 and the r2 says 85. I noticed before the benchmark would slow down at mem speeds of 300 but now it just keeps going up. Im pleased...

I've got something new for testing... If it works it'll increase the max boost voltage by 0.0375V, which should allow higher boost clocks. I successfully did something similar on a desktop GTX 670 VBIOS, but the structure there is different, so I can't say whether this works as I want it to, but I hope so, would be pretty cool :P

Hope to get a Kepler card soon, so I could test such stuff myself. If anyone is brave enough to test this, awesome - please report back!!

As always, FLASH ON YOUR OWN RISK.

EDIT: Need to tweak this a bit more, will be back shortily

SVL sent pm. Please explain what's happening with this one and how its supposed to work. Has the boost actually been increased with this bios or are you just testing the voltage increase to further pave the way for future turbo increases? Thanks so much sir!

r are you just testing the voltage increase to further pave the way for future turbo increases?

Yes, that's the idea, the boost clocks are based on the previous mod, now I simply want to do some tests regarding the voltage. If it works I should be able to further tweak the voltage and the boost clocks.

GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt@svl - i updated to the new bios you sent me in PM. My scores are now actually going down. Again I believe its that weird deal where the gpu pulls power from the cpu. I ran a 3dmark11 test with turbo disabled and the clocks at 1100/2300 and the score went down by 3 points rather than up. I watched the different frame rates within the test and some seem really great but the physics score plumets and the overall gpu score went down by 20 points . Again this is only 3dmark11. I may try metro2033 since its a much better benchmark.

I will attach gpu-z log from the first section ONLY of 3dmark11. Thanks!

• Thumbs Up 1

Interesting. Impressive clocks. I got some questions... does the core clock stay at the 1100 during the benchmark tests or does it drop sometime? Because if it drops once in a while it would explain the slightly lower score.

I noticed that the voltage is now lower... I got some theories about this, but I'm not sure whether they are true. I shifted the dynamic clock table, and it is possible that each entry there has a certain voltage assigned. By further tweaking the table, some of the previous entries got pushed down, which could explain the lower voltage if my theory is correct. This will need some testing before I can say whether it's true or not, if it is it might allow a different approach for voltage tweaking.

Ok.. more feedback.. BF3 MP 64 player crashes after 10 minutes of play. GPU temp gets to 64c then crashes. Clocks are 1100 / 2300 so... (cpu turbo disabled)

Here is what we know so far. I am stable playing BF3 at 1070/2200 without issue. So I believe for gaming I have found my threshold.

The clocks stay the same during gameplay and do not go down. During map changes of course they fluctuate due to gpu load (or lack of).

I really want to go back to the other bios for now as it seems it will be more stable (I think).

In my opinion, its not the clocks that are unstable, I believe I need to either (find a way to keep the GPU under 65c or provide more voltage to keep it stable or both).

SVL.. can you try a bios (same as above) except change the voltage back to 1.0370 (original peak voltage) to see if its more stable at that rate?

What I can do is see if the gpu is more stable. Im trying to see if the GPU will turn off or throttle above 65c.

Okay, cool. The voltage change can be explained through how the boosting works... but it's interesting that the clock stays when the voltage drops slightly :)

I haven't touched the voltage, but as I mentioned before, I got a theory regarding the lower voltage in the second mod (the one I sent you), I can try to adjust the dynamic clocks a bit differently, if it changes the voltage behavior it would indicate that my theory might be right.

Alright, another one, tweaked the dynamic clock table, this might bring back higher voltage at higher clocks (see my "theory" in a previous post).

Let me know how it goes. GPU-Z log will be appreciated.

By the way... I need a different idea for the voltage tweaking I mentioned earlier, Conkers just tested a similar mod on his desktop card with no success.

Edit: Attachement removed, needs some more work.

Not good. I overclock to 1120 and it clocks back to 950. The bios is very weird. The voltage is stable. Which is a good thing. Here is what I would do.. go back to your original bios release. Change the 100 to 135. Leave voltage alone. Let us test at those levels and see how it goes. Thanks!

Alright, here's again the first version, base boost is now 970MHz instead of 935MHz (hope that's what you meant), dynamic clock table stays the same, max entry is about 1100MHz, you can hit this with overclocking, but I assume it doesn't matter if you get above, else let me know.

Hope it works as desired.

Btw, I never touched the voltages, but it seems my theory regarding voltages and dynamic clocks is true... Will see what I can do with this in the future :)

EDIT: File removed, want to improve something.

• Thumbs Up 1

Awesome work that you have done here! :D

I'm really happy to see that the 650m overclocks this well with proper cooling. :)

May I ask, how complicated, and dangerous, is it to increase the base boost of the 650m?

I own a MSI GE60 with a 650m 2GB GDDR5 that just begs to be overclocked beyond 970 MHz core.

How dangerous? Well, since I now have a working method for doing this it's pretty safe, as long as I don't start experimenting :D

How complicated? Pretty complicated imo, though practice helps. If you're interested in a mod for your system I can modify the vbios for you - provided you test it and let me know how it works. Send me a PM with a link to a BIOS of your system and also a GPU-Z screenshot and if possible a (short) GPU-Z log while the GPU is at load.

And welcome to T|I!

Hi Stevenxowens! Maybe you forgot about this and didnt found the moved thread. here is a link you said you wanted to try to recreate the problem and see what it could be 2 days ago --->

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m14x/1794-usb-issues.html

would be very thankful if you would tell me your results and suggestions what this incompatibility with the USB 3.0 drivers could be.

and good work svl7 on your vbios modding im sure you made many of us enthusiasts very happy :)