M17XR4 and MSI GTX 1080m max-p

Ohtic

Can anyone tell me if the connection on the top right of the GTX 1080M MAX-P is for additional power? If so, will it take care of any power issues the m17xr4 has at powering it?

Sorry if it has been asked before but I have not found a topic on it.

Pic:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DAvsD0vCAfBQ_yzouPwUkdYlk4iuNLKO/view?usp=drivesdk

I believe that's what it's for. How were you going to power it?

Is this from the Zotac 1080? I believe it's the only one that has the die in the correct place for the heatsink. 

On 3/22/2021 at 10:22 AM, MattyB said:

I believe that's what it's for. How were you going to power it?

Is this from the Zotac 1080? I believe it's the only one that has the die in the correct place for the heatsink. 

I have not got as far as working out how it will be powered yet. Im still on the fence if I should even buy it.

The seller has told me it is from a MSI GT Titan. From looking at my stock amd gpu, the die does appear to be in the same place.

I am confident with my soldering and if I can find a pinout for that connection, I feel confident I can supply power to it. My biggest concern is getting it working once installed.

I am all ears for any input. 

Is it the one listed on ebay for $750AUD? I'm pretty sure that the only one that will work with your heatsink is the vary rare Zotac version.

If you compare the two you'll see that the GPU die is more towards the right side of the MSI card while on the Zotac (and other MXM cards) the die is more towards the left. There could be a way to get it to work but there may be some work involved. The card is also wider than a standard MXM 3.0b card so you may have to cut the chassis to make it fit. 

I'd be very interested to see how you go though. I have been thinking about selling my 1070 for around $650 but if you can get the 1080 to work then it would be pretty awesome. 

I saw the ebay one aswell. It's the same card but the one I am thinking of buying is from a pc recycling company. 

I was originally wanting a 1070 because I just want to get this pc upgraded and usable again. But then I saw the 1080 and started considering it. If it is too much work and effort, I might just forget about the 1080. 

I found my old laptop and over the last few months I have upgraded the ram to 32gb corsair vengeance and the cpu to a 3940xm aswell as a unlocked bios.

I now want to upgrade the GPU but I am not sure which path to take. It still has the stock amd gpu.

It's a great laptop. The M18x R2 and M17x R4 are the pinnacle of what Alienware stood for after Dell took over. The 17 R1 and 18 are still great laptops but the quality (and looks) went downhill and once they started soldering parts on the 17 R2 then they were dead to me. 

Good luck with the upgrade and if you haven't already, check out the NotebookReview forum.

What State are you in?