Alienware 18 gtx970m 3GB upgrade problem - lcd working when laptop resumes from sleep

BabaYaga

Welcome to all Forum members. This is my first post and I ask for your understanding if I have broken the rules in something.

I wanted to ask you for help in solving the following problem: I'm trying to install the gtx970m - a 3GB card version - in my Alienware 18. The card comes from the MSI GT70. After installation, there is an annoying issue. Namely, my Alien recognizes the card. During the installation of the drivers, however, the screen turns black, although in the background everything works (GPU fan too). Similarly, every time I load Windows (and thus the screen drivers), the screen turns black. To get around this problem, I need to put my laptop to sleep. When it resumes from sleep everything works as desired until... I shut down or restart the system. Then the whole "mechanism" is repeated. Uploading another vbios for now does not change anything. On the other hand, when I try to upload vbios from Dell I have the message "Board ID mismatch".

Have any of you encountered a similar problem and know a remedy for this laptop-go-to-sleep issue? I will be grateful for any tips.

I'm actually having a very similar issue with a 6gb 970M that was pulled from an MSI laptop. The original vBIOS worked in my 17 R1 except there was no fan control so I tried flashing a few others but these are giving me the black screen when I reboot like yours. 

Are you able to tell me what the Device ID of your card is? Mine is 1618 which is different to most 970M versions which could mean it's a g-sync card. I'm assuming that this is the cause of the issue. I have been told that the nvflash version below gets you past the board mismatch issue but I was going to try it after work tonight. 

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-nvflash-with-board-id-mismatch-disabled/