[Request] 7970m clevo/eurocom vbios request for asus g73 upgrade

sosa106

I Tech|Inferno forum !

I'm new in your community, and my actual project made me make the step in posting a new thread

Here is my actual problem :

I purchased a Dell 7970m mxm card hoping this one will work on asus G73jh. My laptop was already modified with heatsink "adjustments" for a clevo 6970m

post-3402-14494993273431_thumb.jpg

the installation was made carefully, checking vrms contact with the gpu heatsink, and the result was that the system has POST, but the main screen didn't display anything, but was powered on... The HDMI out was also working great... I have too a issue with drivers, but I think a clean install will fix this problem.

To go further in my upgrade, I need a new vbios that will change output scheme from the one I actually have. I know that it is vbios that redirects outpus (from my last upgrade, I flashed my clevo 6970m to dell 6970m to get my hdmi working).

That's why I'm asking you guys, if anyone succeed in dumping is 7970m clevo vbios, please share it with me so I can try to make this card work on my laptop

So my motive to flash my vbios is the main screen non-displaying problem, and not the fan full speed issue (@evgasr2 :friendly_wink: )

Thanks in advance for every contructive answer !

sosa106

Hi, and welcome to T|I!

I still haven't got my hands on a Clevo 7970m vbios so far.

Did you check the display cable of your G73? Make sure it's properly plugged in.

The output doesn't only rely on the VBIOS, but also on the System Bios, as there's absolutely no MXM structure in the G73 BIOS it is unlikely that this card is going to work properly without some very sophisticated BIOS modifications.

Thnaks for your welcome ;)

Yes, the cable is properly plugged in the motherboard (checked more than once !!!)... I also tried the card in a w860cu v2, and the card had same issue... That's why I think clevo update vbios with my card will maybe work on my system...

But it could also be the main display output that would be dead... The only way I can check it for now is testing it in an alienware laptop (m15x, m17x, m18x). But I don't have one, or know anyone that own one...

The good news if my display out is dead (not really for me) is the 7970m upgrade for asus g73jh is really possible.

If someone on this forum lives in France, near my location (Aix en provence), and is ready for testing, we could try the card on his AW system

Here's the VBIOS of a Clevo P170EM... I can't guarantee that it'll work on your card. Thanks to SFVogt for following my instructions, else I would not have this vbios.

I'm eager to hear how it works out... I don't think it'll make a difference, but you'll see.

Clevo7970m.zip

Edited by svl7

Thanks svl7, SFVogt and Tech|inferno !!! I will first test the card on an m18x system tomorrow or early this week, and if I am sure the card if properly working, I will flash the card !

I hope I won't have to bother you again to reflash it hard way if I come to brick the card's vbios ;)

I will tell you the result, whatever it is positive or not !

• Founder
Thanks svl7, SFVogt and Tech|inferno !!! I will first test the card on an m18x system tomorrow or early this week, and if I am sure the card if properly working, I will flash the card !

I hope I won't have to bother you again to reflash it hard way if I come to brick the card's vbios ;)

I will tell you the result, whatever it is positive or not !

Good luck, looking forward to the results.

Well, I've been weak, and I couldn't wait further tests with the card, and I flashed it !

The first issue was the size of the ROM... the DELL is 128kb and the clevo one 64kb... when I saw that, I knew this won't be ok but I still continued.

Then, I had to add the -fs and -fp option on atiflash in order to be able to flash.

It has executed without problems, and after a reboot, I had no screen :( neither the main display neither the hdmi...

But the laptop did post and I was able to blind re-flash the stock vbios, and i'm back at the start point by now

Now I think my only hope is to change my card with an alienware owner that has a clevo 7970m with my dell 7970m... or, maybe, testing my laptop with an alienware screen (I say that because windows did recognize the screen perfectly and working in his native resolution, the system power on the screen, but didn't display anything).

Edited by sosa106

The first issue was the size of the ROM... the DELL is 128kb and the clevo one 64kb... when I saw that, I knew this won't be ok but I still continued.

When it comes to such mods and vbios flashing I always expect people to have a certain basic knowledge about the involved things and procedures... but apparently that's asking for too much.

I don't like it if people just start to assuming things and then post there conclusions as if it was general truth, that's one of my pet peeves.

The size difference doesn't matter at all. In fact, both vbios have exactly the same size, the Dell file just comes with tons of additional bytes which aren't part of the vbios and don't matter at all.

Then, I had to add the -fs and -fp option on atiflash in order to be able to flash.

Of course you had to, e.g. the subvendor ID is different, so you need to force it, that's a security measure of ATIFlash.

As I told you, I didn't expect it to work, the whole output stuff in the vbios is a lot different.

Rbe editor doesnt read that vbios , so there must be something wrong with it .

You judge the integrity of a vbios file by opening it with a vbios editor... seriously?

As I just explained in the post above, one thing I simply can't stand is when people just post their assumptions as if they were true facts! RBE doesn't read a single 7000 series file, there's no support for it.

There's nothing wrong with this file!!

@svl7 in anychance can you try it on your card ?

Maybe at sometime, when I come around to do so. But I see absolutely no need for this, since it won't work, as the results of sosa106 show.

but however vbios chip need 128k file to work properly ,

64k wont have all the info , did the guy who dumped the clevo vbios do it through dos / or with gpu-z ?

No. You're totally wrong! The VBIOS file is complete, stop making claims about things of which you apparently have no idea how they work and stop telling bullshit, seriously, I mean it!!

The vbios file is complete, the additional bytes in the 128kB Dell VBIOS you have are all padding bytes aka "don't cares".

When it comes to such mods and vbios flashing I always expect people to have a certain basic knowledge about the involved things and procedures... but apparently that's asking for too much.

I don't like it if people just start to assuming things and then post there conclusions as if it was general truth, that's one of my pet peeves.

The size difference doesn't matter at all. In fact, both vbios have exactly the same size, the Dell file just comes with tons of additional bytes which aren't part of the vbios and don't matter at all.

Of course you had to, e.g. the subvendor ID is different, so you need to force it, that's a security measure of ATIFlash.

As I told you, I didn't expect it to work, the whole output stuff in the vbios is a lot different.

Well, don't take it so bad... I have basic knowledge about bios and vbios operations, and it's true that the few lasts i've made were directly in windows... plus, it's been a while I havn't played with atiflash !!!

Be understanding with me ;)

But you learned me something : i didn't know that a bios chip would react the same way whatever the size (or at least smaller). One of the parameters I've always checked was the file size.

To come back on the topic, it's a dead end upgrade, or at least with a dell card. Thanks again for your help.

Perhaps, I still have a doubt on the fully fonctionnal out display of this card... I will test it this week in a dell system to garantee it's ok, and then sell it or exchange it with a clevo/eurocom/sager one...

• Founder
Well, don't take it so bad... I have basic knowledge about bios and vbios operations, and it's true that the few lasts i've made were directly in windows... plus, it's been a while I havn't played with atiflash !!!

But you learned me something : i didn't know that a bios chip would react the same way whatever the size (or at least smaller). One of the parameters I've always checked was the file size.

To come back on the topic, it's a dead end upgrade, or at least with a dell card. Thanks again for your help.

Perhaps, I still have a doubt on the fully fonctionnal out display of this card... I will test it this week in a dell system to garantee it's ok, and then sell it or exchange it with a clevo/eurocom/sager one...

Good luck.

Sent from my GT-N7000

• 1 month later...

Check the forum rules again. You had to read them in order to register. You need at least 5 quality posts in order to be able to download attachements.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you've still got the Dell card I have a Eurocom I'd be willing to trade, I've got an M18x and I can't seem to get the HDMI working.

• 1 month later...
I Tech|Inferno forum !

I'm new in your community, and my actual project made me make the step in posting a new thread

Here is my actual problem :

I purchased a Dell 7970m mxm card hoping this one will work on asus G73jh. My laptop was already modified with heatsink "adjustments" for a clevo 6970m

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4319[/ATTACH]

the installation was made carefully, checking vrms contact with the gpu heatsink, and the result was that the system has POST, but the main screen didn't display anything, but was powered on... The HDMI out was also working great... I have too a issue with drivers, but I think a clean install will fix this problem.

To go further in my upgrade, I need a new vbios that will change output scheme from the one I actually have. I know that it is vbios that redirects outpus (from my last upgrade, I flashed my clevo 6970m to dell 6970m to get my hdmi working).

That's why I'm asking you guys, if anyone succeed in dumping is 7970m clevo vbios, please share it with me so I can try to make this card work on my laptop

So my motive to flash my vbios is the main screen non-displaying problem, and not the fan full speed issue (@evgasr2 :friendly_wink: )

Thanks in advance for every contructive answer !

sosa106

what heat sink is that that u r using m17?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone I am new to this forum ....

I have written in the mod HD 7970M VBIOS.

I upgraded my G79 JH card CLEVO 7970M VBIOS with HM ...

The problem is that the motherboard cuts the workload to 7970M when exceeding 150 watts of power ...

In my laptop I have installed an i7-940 XM ...

I could use my undervolted VBIOS with 0.975 voe v 0.95 with 850 * 1200 Mhz ...

Help me please ... : D Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Here's the VBIOS of a Clevo P170EM... I can't guarantee that it'll work on your card. Thanks to SFVogt for following my instructions, else I would not have this vbios.

I'm eager to hear how it works out... I don't think it'll make a difference, but you'll see.

Hi,for flash this bios in P170EM,procedure that should be followed?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...