[GUIDE] AMD VBIOS flashing

svl7

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think there's a command to restart from dos. After clearing all operations in a DOS/cmd prompt type of app, I do a cls command, to clear the screen and then simply press the power button to shutdown , or ctrl+alt+del to reboot.

• Thumbs Up 1

for what reason do you clear the screen, if you are going to reboot anyway?

There are reboot tools for dos, but ctrl+alt+del should be safe. DOS is a single tasking operating system (at least variants you guys use), so there is no other task in the background you could corrupt by forcing the computer to shut down.

Hey SLV7 , this is for permanent overvolting right ? and also Modified , can i use unmodified overvolting like MSI AFTERBURNER to overvolt it temporary ? and overvolt will harm your GPU while playing games or something ? Artifacts - Screen Flickering ? - Reply ASAP . Thanks

Overvolting does not harm as long as temperatures are not dangerously high. At the first sign of artifacts/screen flickering or tearing/temperatures out of the roof, means that you are pumping too much juice. You should first try to OC without overvolting and see what results you get and only afterwards worry about OV.

Such as this 7970m crossfire i have Dirt 3 gaming for hours stable ln max gralhics with 7900 mod drivers for high quality AF. CCC set to max quality including 16xAF and 8xAA w/edge detect for a total of 24x AA :) 990core 1375mem 1.075v stable, 1040core 1625mem 1.1v stable in that game only so far. I can load the level and play a bit of a track at 1125core at 1.125v but not stable.. im thinking bench worthy though from 1050-1125 core :)

So yes every gpu differs and some need more volts for same speeds

Sent from my Paranoid Samsung Galaxy S3 on Sprint using Tapatalk 2 Jelly Bean flavor included

Hello. I am new here. I need some help from you.

I have got a MSI GX660 notebook. It came originally with AMD 5870M. Recently I bought AMD 6990M and install it. I bought a Clevo 6990M card. Everything work OK except one little thing which I knew before I bought this card. When you use a Clevo 6990M card in MSI GX660 there will be no sound over HDMI. The solution is to flash the Clevo card with Dell 6990M vBios. Now is the problem. I do not know which vBios from Dell will work on Clevo card. There are couple of them and I do not want to flash my card with wrong vBios. Can anyone help me, please ?

Yeah, looks fine.

If somebody will try to find this information in the future : I've tried three different Dell vBios and they do not work on Clevo 6990M card. I tried one with the checksum 0xC1A6 , 0xEA88 and 0xD0F2 and they do not work - black screen. But on MSI GX660 you can do a blind flash, so you can always revert to your old vBios, of course if you saved it first.

They do work, but they might not work when the card is in the MSI system...

Now I tried version with checksum 0x8EAA and it do not work either.

And you might be right. They do work, but they do not work on MSI. But there is something strange. I know, that Dell cards works on MSI GX660. I know that Clevo cards works on MSI ( I own one ). But Clevo cards with Dell vBios do not work on MSI. This is quite strange.

EDIT:

OK. Now it seems that I was cheated. Guy sold me 6970M ES with 1120 shaders instead of 6990M. I've flashed the card with 6970M vBios and it works.

Yeah, this guy just overclocked the vBios to show 715MHz instead of 680MHz so when I checked first everything looked all right - 1120 shaders and 715MHz core. Do you think that 6970M ES with unlocked 1120 shaders and 715MHz core is the same performance as 6990M ? I will download a 3D Mark 11 later to find out the performance.

EDIT:

3D Mark 11 showed P3324 score and 3168 score for GPU. P score is low, beacause I have got weak CPU which is 740QM. So I think that 6970M ES is quite close to 6990M. What do you think ?

You won't notice a difference, as I said, I owned an early ES myself, worked perfectly fine and no performance difference at all. It's the same Asic, maybe a slightly earlier stepping, but you won't notice this.

• Thumbs Up 2