AMD 7970m - modified VBIOS

Not really a nice mod, but it might help.

The patcher is outdated. Too busy to work seriously work on it atm.

Wow slv7 thats amazing, is there any chance you might be able to take my vbios that I uploaded earlier and make a change so the 3d voltage is at .975? If you could that would be amazing. Now that its coming into the summer i'm getting worried I might have severe thermal throttling on my card as it throttles @ 75 degress. Is it also possible to increase this limit to 80 or 85? Thanks in advance.

Your card shouldn't get that hot if you have enough pressure on the die, especially not at 1V...

Try this.

thanks, you are the man, I have the highest pressure on the dye that i feel comfortable with, the heat sink spreads even the smallest amount of paste over the full dye at the moment, should i want to get any more pressure than that?

I will try that vbios tomorrow, getting a bit late now, thanks again. Is the thermal throttle limit build into the bios as well or is that part of the drivers?

Edit: I just realized you have modified the bios on a version 22 when my stock version is 21. Do you know if it'll cause issues if I upgrade to the 22. Is it possible to make the change to the 21 just to be on the safe side?

I dunno, take a look at the pics in the M15x 6970m mod thread and you'll see what I did to minimize the temps.

I haven't noticed any thermal throttling, maybe your voltage is too low for certain loads, or your CPU is drawing too much power, this can happen under certain circumstances in the M15x with the 7970m.

The vbios version won't matter, it works. Only the MSI and Clevo P150HM versions cause issues when used in the M15x.

- - - Updated - - -

I dunno, take a look at the pics in the M15x 6970m mod thread and you'll see what I did to minimize the temps.

I haven't noticed any thermal throttling, maybe your voltage is too low for certain loads, or your CPU is drawing too much power, this can happen under certain circumstances in the M15x with the 7970m.

The vbios version won't matter, it works. Only the MSI and Clevo P150HM versions cause issues when used in the M15x.

Just tried the vbios you made, AND IT FU***** WORKS!! thanks so much, but it still throttles :(

Tink you could make a 1.100v one? thx alot again.

Crysis 3 still throttles :( svl any ide why?

I know you may not have much time to work on the new bios right now, since you are able to change my voltage the only thing left to fix is the throttling :)

-Update

It seems if i leave mem clock stock 1200mhz there is no throttling

For core anything above 945mhz crashes, must be vbios/driver issue cus 950/1000mhz are stable for about 5 min before my pc goes black.

Offtopic : I can post now

Ontopic : I'm running a dell 7970m pulled from an M18x in my current m6600. All if fine, the card was plug and play with no issue to date.

However, the benchmark scores are a tad lower than expected. The more I oc the card (via profiles.xml) the lower the scores go. I have tried OV via xml trick also and no apparent improvement in scores. With my current setup I cannot break ~6.5k 3dm11. In my older msi gt683 with an exact same setup I could easily reach 7.1 7.2k 3dm11.

I am running 017 bios version (as can be seen in screenshot) and running stock voltage of 0.975v. When ov-ing via xml to 1.05v I can take sliders in CCC to max and the card still be stable, but the damn scores in 3dm11 stay the same or even worse, go down a notch.

I have ran furmark (at stock clocks and voltage) and there is absolutely no throttling. I have tried furmark also on my current setup 900/1400 @ 0.975v and no throttling.

Would a bios flash help me out? And if yes, what version should I be looking for?

Just to mention, in full load the cpu never goes past 91-92 degrees and after 2-3h of bf3 I have never seen the gpu go over 80 degrees.

And a second mention, I get random reboots and system freezes (that I cannot explain at all) both at modified and stock clocks. - I try to think these are because of drivers.

post-6271-14494995085093_thumb.gif

Ontopic : I'm running a dell 7970m pulled from an M18x in my current m6600. All if fine, the card was plug and play with no issue to date.

However, the benchmark scores are a tad lower than expected. The more I oc the card (via profiles.xml) the lower the scores go. I have tried OV via xml trick also and no apparent improvement in scores. With my current setup I cannot break ~6.5k 3dm11. In my older msi gt683 with an exact same setup I could easily reach 7.1 7.2k 3dm11.

I am running 017 bios version (as can be seen in screenshot) and running stock voltage of 0.975v. When ov-ing via xml to 1.05v I can take sliders in CCC to max and the card still be stable, but the damn scores in 3dm11 stay the same or even worse, go down a notch.

I have ran furmark (at stock clocks and voltage) and there is absolutely no throttling. I have tried furmark also on my current setup 900/1400 @ 0.975v and no throttling.

Would a bios flash help me out? And if yes, what version should I be looking for?

Just to mention, in full load the cpu never goes past 91-92 degrees and after 2-3h of bf3 I have never seen the gpu go over 80 degrees.

And a second mention, I get random reboots and system freezes (that I cannot explain at all) both at modified and stock clocks. - I try to think these are because of drivers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7211[/ATTACH]

If you can max out sliders in ccc with 100% stable and no speed change then your not applying the clocks..

- - - Updated - - -

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7211[/ATTACH]

could be downclocking..

The clocks do change, the issue is that I am getting absolutely no benefit in benchmarks/fps ingame. That screenshot is just to show the stock bios version.

I'm not saying that I want to run it at max sliders, I am just trying to get to the bottom of why the OC has no effect on ingame fps.

Thing is, If I run 3dm11 at stock clocks and everything I get roughly 6.3k points. With the slight OC to 900/1400 I should get a somewhat increase in scores, but that is not what happens. The scores either stay the same or can even go down.

Same configuration on my former laptop and OC to 900/1400 I would reach in the vicinity of 6.9k.

That I could have done without asking around or even posting here, but I was hoping someone had a slight idea of what might happen rather than just do an operation that is both risky and maybe useless in my situation.

That I could have done without asking around or even posting here, but I was hoping someone had a slight idea of what might happen rather than just do an operation that is both risky and maybe useless in my situation.

Run afterburners osd while you bechmark and see if clocks stay stable the whole way, 0,975v cards ov to 1.050v tend to throttle after some time in 3d mode.

Gonna try just that. Be right back.

LE: Trying several vbios version I found across the board. Apparently with 022 0.975v works best so far (no throttle or random downclocking). Trying my luck with 022 1050v I found in some other thread.

With 017 version , different voltages, gpu-z would still report 0.975 max voltage. With 022 it's reporting 1.05v. I am thinking as long as temperatures are in range of 80-85 everything would be ok for the card? (max temps recorded in 3dm11 so far was 73 degrees anyway).

Make a log file of CPU and GPU and post it / attach it, this might give some insights to what is happening.

Also 1400MHz on the vram is a lot, try stock clocks.

Here's a collection of logs ran at stock settings with throttlestop on, 920/1270 throttlestop on and 920/1270 throttlestop off.

Bios as can be seen in the attachment. (from one of your postings in the atiflash thread).

I don't understand the need to run throttlestop, as this was one of the reason I switched to this M6600 as I thought it could take the power hungry components (as opposed to my forger msi gt683).

post-6271-14494995111742_thumb.gif

9201270 ts off.zip

9201270 ts on.zip

stock TS on.zip

Hi guys first time here!

I have a 7970m in my g73jh and I could change de Voltage after use the gpu tweek 2.3.5 and this is the only that you can active the voltage control!

Someone could assert me:

I put 1030v in this program but the card can jump .05 intervals?

I don't know if it is 1030 but its working!

Core 1000 mem 1378

Great work guys!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not really a nice mod, but it might help.

The patcher is outdated. Too busy to work seriously work on it atm.

okay so I also tried, nothing changed, still no overdrive option for me ... (i'm on win7 x64 with ccc 13.5 beta 2 now)

Which vbios did you try? I totally have overdrive with the mod I provided...

the one that you have just posted to force the overdrive option ...

by the way, I'm back on win8 as win7 was driving me crazy lol not enough battery in enduro mode... dunno why but graphics card were fighting each other to chose (in a way, lol) who was going to be active and thus it was consuming really fast my battery, faster than when only on discrete gpu mode. (below 2h on google chrome without wlan, only lan...) now i'm back on 7 hours :P

btw, I also tried to do the -xcl trick, and still nothing happens !

but, I can tell that the bios has changed something, because I do not need to enable in msi afterburner's .cfg file the overcloclocking mode ! It now allows it out of the box lol

Just to be sure, you do install mobility CCC drivers, not normal drivers right ?

• Founder
It is possible to have two cards in CF with diffrent voltage?? I have clevo p370em and my gpu1 has max V 1.05 and the gpu2 has max 1.00 , both cards have the same version vbios.

Shouldn't be a problem.