AMD 7970m - modified VBIOS

I am not familiar with your laptop but theoretically it should work. The x-bracket for the 6970M is confirmed to be compatible with the 7970M and the layout of the cards components are basically the same so the heatsink should be compatible. The 6970M is also rated as a 100W card so your heatsinks performance should be sufficient.

That said I don't know whether the 7970M is compatible with your system with regards to auto fan and display connectivity so that would be a wildcard. If you have done the research and know that it is compatible I don't see a problem.

You can re-use thermal pads although you might need more depending on whether the VRM was also padded on your 6970M or not. It is recommended that you use pads on the VRM's mosfets and inductors on the 7970M but users have been getting away with just pads on the memory.

I'm not so sure Dell cards are as friendly with any other machines other than Dells and Alienware's. The Dell card has been proven to work with that Clevo vBIOS but in other systems.

Alright. Thanks for the reply. I'm really starting to get worried that this card isn't going to work in my laptop because it's a DELL card, but we'll see what happens. I'm glad that the clevo vbios works though. If I get a black screen on boot with the stock DELL vbios, then I will just attempt to blind flash to the clevo vbios to see if that will work. If i can't get a vbios to work, then I will just sell my card along with the x-bracket and screws.

So, they are almost identical, but the 7970M card has more a little more microchips. I was wondering which thickness and thermal conductivity I should choice with new thermal pads in the places coloured green on the 7970M picture above. Anyone knows that? Dell thermal pads sucks.

Any thermal conductivity should suffice as long as its a good quality pad. Those components don't generate as much heat as the GPU. Anything from Phobya or Fujipoly will work well. I suggest installing heatsink on the card without any paste or pads just to determine what thickness you will require for each area by judging the space between the component and the heatsink. The heatsink should sit on the card after pad installation as if there wasn't any pads at all for optimal temps. To be more clear, the pads should in no way affect how the heatsink sits. The reason I say this is the thermal pad thickness for each area differs even on my machine depending on whether you are coming from a nVIDIA card or AMD card since their heatsinks differ. Another member with the same laptop as me uses a total different pad config. He previously had 260M's whereas I had 5870M's. So recommending a specific thickness could be misleading.

Alright. Thanks for the reply. I'm really starting to get worried that this card isn't going to work in my laptop because it's a DELL card, but we'll see what happens. I'm glad that the clevo vbios works though. If I get a black screen on boot with the stock DELL vbios, then I will just attempt to blind flash to the clevo vbios to see if that will work. If i can't get a vbios to work, then I will just sell my card along with the x-bracket and screws.

Sounds like a good plan of action. I wish you the best of luck! :)

ok understood.....plz give me advise how to delite CCC? i must use ATIMAN or other program for clear remove CCC? Tnx

I would recommend uninstalling it normally through Programs and Features under the Control Panel. Once it has uninstalled and you have rebooted run the AMD Catalyst Un-install Utility (Only for Windows 7). I have found this simple combination is sufficient enough for a clean base for a new driver install.

If you install 13.8 and are still experiencing the "secondary GPU at full load" problem, disable ULPS. See my post here for instructions if you are unsure on how to do so. I experienced the same issue and disabling ULPS resolved it for me.

Any thermal conductivity should suffice as long as its a good quality pad. Those components don't generate as much heat as the GPU. Anything from Phobya or Fujipoly will work well. I suggest installing heatsink on the card without any paste or pads just to determine what thickness you will require for each area by judging the space between the component and the heatsink. The heatsink should sit on the card after pad installation as if there wasn't any pads at all for optimal temps. To be more clear, the pads should in no way affect how the heatsink sits. The reason I say this is the thermal pad thickness for each area differs even on my machine depending on whether you are coming from a nVIDIA card or AMD card since their heatsinks differ. Another member with the same laptop as me uses a total different pad config. He previously had 260M's whereas I had 5870M's. So recommending a specific thickness could be misleading.

Ok, I will follow your instructions about arrangement of the thermal pads, it's really helpful. I am going to use a Phobya thermal pads, they have a really good conductivity. Now, when I know almost everything I can find a 7970M card branded by Dell. Thanks a lot Nospheratu.

OK so i just got my dell 7970m in the mail. On the back of the card it says that it came with the 022 vbios. Is it safe to flash to a different vbios (p1xxhm enduro disabled) with this card? Because I read somewhere that it is not because it came with the 022 vbios, which is uefi. Please help. I don't want to brick the card, and I am pretty sure that this vbios won't work in my gx640, but the clevo hm vbios will.

Edit: I ended up finding a couple posts about a guy with a 7970m that originally came with a 022 vbios, and he was able to flash 017 vbios successfully and it worked. I just hope the clevo hm vbios will work.

My 2 cents: I have bricked few cards flashing from 022 to 017 vbios, so I wouldn't advise you to do so.

Well as it turns out, The Dell 7970m that I had ordered came with a 022 vbios card. So it has a uefi vbios, which means my gx640 is not compatible with it at all. after I installed it, the screen would stay black and the laptop would not post. So there was no way to flash a different vbios. I'm probably just going to have to resell it.

....when i use amd uninstall utility i had BSOD after restart.....also how do you think its normal that GPU-Z didnt show voltage .....or i must flash other BIOS?

Are you running Windows 7? jonny30bass gave some very good steps on how to use ATIman. Personally I think ATIman is overkill unless you're experiencing some really weird issues.

Sometimes utilities report incorrect data after a flash but I've noticed that its mostly a software driver problem and re-installing drivers after a vBIOS flash corrects it.

Well as it turns out, The Dell 7970m that I had ordered came with a 022 vbios card. So it has a uefi vbios, which means my gx640 is not compatible with it at all. after I installed it, the screen would stay black and the laptop would not post. So there was no way to flash a different vbios. I'm probably just going to have to resell it.

It may be a bit risky but have a look at this thread if you have not already.

No not the paste. The thermal pads that you put on the VRAM on the graphics cards. If you've not replaced them you may still have the original thermal pads that are slightly squidgy thin strips that are slightly sticky.

I'm using 1.0mm Phobya 5w/mk thermal pads at the moment but just wonder if 1.5mm might be better.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi SLV7

Could you please take a look at this Vbios, it is from RJ_Tech 7970m, i don't know why with this vbios i can't overclock my card anyhow via MSI afterburner or trixx, it just won't happen.

Therefore is this possible to mod this one to 2 versions please 1) 925/1300 and 2) 940/1350 stock voltage ?

as always Thank You Sir !

Download Thames rar

You could try one of the modded vBIOS from my modpack. It's based on the CLEVO P270WM 7970M (exact same vBIOS that you linked) and OverDrive is enabled so you can set whatever clocks you want. Just pick the stock voltage vBIOS with OverDrive enabled in the "Normal" folder and then set your clocks in CCC. It's here.

• Thumbs Up 1