AMD 7970m - modified VBIOS

hello svl7 i m deciding to flash my vbios on 7970m (dell R4) but after i read whole thread i found out that some of new 7970m model with new bios (mine is 015.022.000.001) have problem after flashing. I try everything do OC without flashing (afterburner 931x 1410) but i m stuck there, i cant OC more without change of voltage. (ccc overdrive dont work, afterburner voltage locked). Do you thing your patcher will work in my case? or u have another way to change voltage? thx

Sorry buddy any bios above .017 is not gonna change voltage by flashing yet..

And if you use the vbios patcher its gonna read weird settings... trust me ive tryed everything possible.

Until Svl7 updates the patcher, there wont be any other solution...

I have vbios: .021 damit :/

I have got a dell 7970m with a part number of a1-118 and stock vbios version 015.21. I am looking to undervolt it due to thermal throttling in my m15x. Any idea when this will be possible?

If I upload my stock dell 015-21 vbios can anyone modify it to .975v and raise the thermal throttle limit from 75 to 80 degress?

So i have m17x r4 recently bought,so i guess has the last vbios.Don't know much about overclocking but planing on reading more about,i love to mod and experiment so count me in for experiments. I managed to overclock with afterburner using registry mod to 950 clock/1500 vram at stable with 2 degrees celsius,max temp being 67so far.

My question is:Is a overclock vbios ready for my card? would increase much temps?WIlling to document myself more and get proper information.(any tips??)

Just to end this post i would like to thank you and comunity for such great creative and genious people that allways want to get more from the things they have. My respect for you all!

There's unfortunately still not a lot of news on if this will be possible, which is probably at least in part related to some newer 7970m chips having voltage irregularities. I've now gone through four cards ever since Dell replaced my happy .017 vBIOS equipped card with a newer one. I need a vBIOS overclock when using Linux, but as none of the cards I've had since will run these older vBIOS files I guess I'll just keep [ab]using my warranty until something changes. I'm sure upset with Dell that their second highest model from their flagship brand is less capable as my production machine than this $500, 2.5 year old HP though :sour:

Hello sl7 ive been trying theese dell bios's and it seems very strange its almost like gpu z says clocks are different ect but the performance is like stock, but if i go into msi afterburner and just add 1 mhz to core clock ect it goes through the roof, Not really sure what i can do with that lol so was wondering if you could edit my original bios to 1.075 v and 970 core 1350 mem :)? would be much appropriated

Forgot to mention i run a clevo p370em

orig7970.zip

I'm having a very strange problem. I flashed my 7970m with the 0.975 undervolt bios. I'm running a 740q CPU so I figured undervolting isn't really necessary for me. Wanted to flash back to stock voltage. I've now flashed the Dell7970m.ROM twice and it's still stuck at 0.975. I even tried flashing the 1000.0v bios and still stuck at 0.975.

I know it flashed correctly because when I tried flashing to stock the second time it said "adapter has already been flashed with this" or something to that extent.

Anyone have any ideas whats going on?

What was the p/n on the 7970m chip it came off? I'm working through a fifth 7970m replacement from Dell now, but it seems they're out of all but the 113-C42904A1-119 parts what with these bad .022 vBIOSs. I messed with hex editing to look for the differences in some of the older vBIOS mods, but it's a bit beyond my league.

What was the p/n on the 7970m chip it came off? I'm working through a fifth 7970m replacement from Dell now, but it seems they're out of all but the 113-C42904A1-119 parts what with these bad .022 vBIOSs. I messed with hex editing to look for the differences in some of the older vBIOS mods, but it's a bit beyond my league.

Were you talking to me or answering someone else?

Hi all,

I have been working on my upgrade from 260m to 7970m for the last week. Reading through forums I was able to install Part Number 747M2 with new Fujipoly Premium System Builder Thermal Pad, Arctic Silver 5, grinding the Xplate sockets for heatsink/gpu contact and utilizing the foil MOD for the fan/heatsink. I am running stock 850c/1200m and 1.0V. The problem is I am still having heat issues when I try to run FFXIV or the WEI. The temp is peaking above 85C! It does seem to want to stay around 75C on average but the peaks will shut things down. I thought I would try and flash the BIOS to under volt the card to get it in line. I followed the instructions and flashed the BIOS. When I flash the MODvBIOS from svl7 for .975v & .95v with the correct checksums it had the same OLD/NEW values for everything. I test each flash and the voltage did not adjust. It still caps at 1.0V and same heating issues. Also none of the clocking/voltage adjusting programs allow for a decrease in voltage either. It seems like the settings are locked and I am left with GPU that runs hot... Does anyone have the same issues or any ideas on how to solve the problem? Thanks ahead of time for advice! b(~_^)d d-(^_^)-b (b^_^)b

Display device : AMD Radeon HD 7970M

Display driver : Catalyst 13.2

BIOS : 015.017.000.001

Alienware M15x | Intel i7 940XM | 1080p | AMD 7970M | Windows 8 Pro |

Hi all,

I have been working on my upgrade from 260m to 7970m for the last week. Reading through forums I was able to install Part Number 747M2 with new Fujipoly Premium System Builder Thermal Pad, Arctic Silver 5, grinding the Xplate sockets for heatsink/gpu contact and utilizing the foil MOD for the fan/heatsink. I am running stock 850c/1200m and 1.0V. The problem is I am still having heat issues when I try to run FFXIV or the WEI. The temp is peaking above 85C! It does seem to want to stay around 75C on average but the peaks will shut things down. I thought I would try and flash the BIOS to under volt the card to get it in line. I followed the instructions and flashed the BIOS. When I flash the MODvBIOS from svl7 for .975v & .95v with the correct checksums it had the same OLD/NEW values for everything. I test each flash and the voltage did not adjust. It still caps at 1.0V and same heating issues. Also none of the clocking/voltage adjusting programs allow for a decrease in voltage either. It seems like the settings are locked and I am left with GPU that runs hot... Does anyone have the same issues or any ideas on how to solve the problem? Thanks ahead of time for advice! b(~_^)d d-(^_^)-b (b^_^)b

Display device : AMD Radeon HD 7970M

Display driver : Catalyst 13.2

BIOS : 015.017.000.001

Alienware M15x | Intel i7 940XM | 1080p | AMD 7970M | Windows 8 Pro |

I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I previously flashed to 0.975v and now anytime I try to flash any different undervolted bios or stock bios it gives me the exact same old and new values as well. I've literally flashed the card almost 10 times now trying to figure this out.

As far as clocking/voltage programs not being adjustable, use MSI afterburner. Find the directory file and look for the Msiafterburner.cfg file. Open it in notepad and find this line: UnofficialOverclockingMode = 0. Change the value to 1 and save. You should have adjustable increments now but I'm not sure if you can adjust voltage with it.

I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I previously flashed to 0.975v and now anytime I try to flash any different undervolted bios or stock bios it gives me the exact same old and new values as well. I've literally flashed the card almost 10 times now trying to figure this out.

As far as clocking/voltage programs not being adjustable, use MSI afterburner. Find the directory file and look for the Msiafterburner.cfg file. Open it in notepad and find this line: UnofficialOverclockingMode = 0. Change the value to 1 and save. You should have adjustable increments now but I'm not sure if you can adjust voltage with it.

Looks like I made some progress on the temps by flashing again and it did lower the voltage to .975v but it won't flash the .95v... MSI & ATI clocking tools will not unlock voltage but I did lower the core clock to 800 and memory to 1000. With these adjustments and the ones I mentioned above I can finally pass WEI (peak temp 74C) and FFXIV (peak temp 80C). I wish I could somehow get my game peak temp down to at least 75C or maybe 78C. If I run the game for long periods it peaks into lower 80C. My system shut down at 85C due to the high heat. Anyone have a brilliant suggestion for getting it down further? Thanks :)

Looks like I made some progress on the temps by flashing again and it did lower the voltage to .975v but it won't flash the .95v... MSI & ATI clocking tools will not unlock voltage but I did lower the core clock to 800 and memory to 1000. With these adjustments and the ones I mentioned above I can finally pass WEI (peak temp 74C) and FFXIV (peak temp 80C). I wish I could somehow get my game peak temp down to at least 75C or maybe 78C. If I run the game for long periods it peaks into lower 80C. My system shut down at 85C due to the high heat. Anyone have a brilliant suggestion for getting it down further? Thanks :)

Ashram how did you manage to flash? I'm still getting same old/new values for everything. Did you do anything different or did it randomly work?