AMD 7970m - modified VBIOS

@x2pinpoint: to enable unofficial overclocking, close MSI afterburner, go to your MSI afterburner install path and open MSIAfterburner.cfg.

Scroll down to the end of the file. There you will find the following:

[ATIADLHAL]

UnofficialOverclockingEULA=

UnofficialOverclockingMode= 0

AccessibilityCheckingPeriod= 0

change it to the following:

[ATIADLHAL]

UnofficialOverclockingEULA= 1

UnofficialOverclockingMode= 1

start afterburner again, agree the popup and you'll be able to set clocks.

Have fun!

Awesome Jahnsinn thanks for posting this. Also to disable powerplay for more stability set the following.

ATIADLHAL]

UnofficialOverclockingEULA= 1

UnofficialOverclockingMode= 2

By the way I thought the Eula you had to write the whole agreement that your system if damaged is your own problem, it must have changed to allowing a 1 to agree.. I like it much easier.

Thanks Jahnsinn

Sent from my Paranoid Samsung Galaxy S3 on Sprint using Tapatalk 2 Jelly Bean flavor included

Guys, I need help! I didnt know where else to post this.

My worst nightmare happened, I bricked my GPU. I have done allot of flashes in the past with success but this time I decided to use ATIwinflash, big mistake. I always do it from DOS but I decided to take convenience over safety and I paid the price. Needless to say, my flash failed and after I restarted my laptop the screen is blank and I have no controls on the keyboard etc. I know the 7970m is bricked because when I pull the GPU my laptop boots up fine since the integrated HD4000 on the Ivybridge kicks in.

So my questions is this, is there anyway to boot off the HD4000 and force flash the 7970m?? I know there is a similar process when it comes to desktop computers or Crossfire or SLI laptops. I am wondering if this is a possible work around and if so, how? I think this would be a very good thread for owners of the Ivybride or Sandybride CPU's with laptops.

Any suggestions or feedback would help, the card is still under warranty so if all else fails I will be sending it back.

Thanks!

Guys, I need help! I didnt know where else to post this.

My worst nightmare happened, I bricked my GPU. I have done allot of flashes in the past with success but this time I decided to use ATIwinflash, big mistake. I always do it from DOS but I decided to take convenience over safety and I paid the price. Needless to say, my flash failed and after I restarted my laptop the screen is blank and I have no controls on the keyboard etc. I know the 7970m is bricked because when I pull the GPU my laptop boots up fine since the integrated HD4000 on the Ivybridge kicks in.

So my questions is this, is there anyway to boot off the HD4000 and force flash the 7970m?? I know there is a similar process when it comes to desktop computers or Crossfire or SLI laptops. I am wondering if this is a possible work around and if so, how? I think this would be a very good thread for owners of the Ivybride or Sandybride CPU's with laptops.

Any suggestions or feedback would help, the card is still under warranty so if all else fails I will be sending it back.

Thanks!

I think you just need to do a Blind Flash which maybe @svl7 or @Xonar can direct you to a blind flash guide for you. We all do things accidentally and we all feel just as hopeless. Hang in there corydoan, the members here are very helpful. :) Best of luck it shouldn't be impossible, worst case is it needs to be manually flashed by removing the chip that has the vbios and reprogramming it in a programmer. Svl7 has saved many a card like that.

• 2 weeks later...

SVL7 , im stucked , okay let's say , if i'm gonna flash this 'Dell7970m-900-1300-1100.rom' so i'll have to write all the same things on bios flashing ? Like 'atiflash -iDell7970m-900-1300-1100.rom' , 'atiflash -s i Dell7970m-900-1300-1100.rom' , 'atiflash -cf Dell7970m-900-1300-1100.rom' , 'atiflash -p i Dell7970m-900-1300-1100.rom' like this ? or can you write down exactly what you do to your VBIOS ? so i can figure out easily . And what you gotta put in the bootable USB drive/CD ? can you list me all ? Reply ASAP , thanks SVL7 .

You place atiflash and the vbios you modified on the usb stick. You just take one of those bios and rename it to no more than 5 characters other than file type. I rename mine dell1.rom by habit. So take the file 900-1300 etc rename it to anything simple like dell.rom and place that file on the usb stick.

Hit f12 at boot select usb storage

When dos loads type

In my example atleast...

Promt is here c:/ type the following atiflash -p -f 0 dell.rom and hit enter.

Hit okay for confirmation and it should flash in a second. Hit ctrl, alt, del to restart system quick after flash without turning off with power button.

Make sure the usb stick is made to be bootable with the win98 files.

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

Excuse me @svl7 can i use this method to flash the 7970m ?

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/1738-%5Bguide%5D-amd-vbios-flashing.html#post21467

Just use the vbios in this thread and the flashing guide above and its very easy. Welcome to Tech Inferno williamlovetech. If you need any further help we all would be glad to.

Thanks mw86 , one more question , so the things i'll have to do is to make a bootable usb drive with 'HP Format Utility' with the 'win98 booting files' , to make it bootable and put 'atiflash and the modified 7970m bios' and only 2 files i'll have to put in it ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------So the Prompt there i'll just type 'c:/atiflash -p -f 0 dell.rom . Thats it ?

Thanks svl7 , i'll 'buy you a beer' later :) , but why i can't download files from the links you given ? after i clicked , it shows me this

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

• Founder
thanks svl7 , i'll 'buy you a beer' later :) , but why i can't download files from the links you given ? After i clicked , it shows me this

1. your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. if you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

read the forum rules + pm you received upon sign up!!

@svl7 you are the most amazing awesome kickass wicked cool person I know! I read everything through on your guide here twice. left your flashing guide open on my desktop and figured it all out with your step by step directions. I have never had to flash a vbios before and I was literally shaking in my chair when i hit enter that last time... and it worked! My M15x was throttling even with my 720qm processor and now with the 1.000v undervolt bios I am completely in business. never broke 80*C in 20 mins of msi kombuster and never throttled once. before I was throttling every 5 mins or so in metro2033 and kombuster (temps were never the issue) every other game was fine.

Anyways... Well done! and a beer shall be yours in the very near future! maybe even a 6 pack! lol

Maybe more if you can tell me why even with this new vbios my msi afterburner still wont allow me to overclock. It shows my sliders are maxed out and wont let me go further!

regardless thanks i couldn't have got it working without you!

PS will your vbios editor work with my old 5850m if i feel adventurous in the boring and cold winter months to come here in Canada?

Hey any pro here can tell me about the Extreme processor and Non extreme processor , i7 3920xm can be able to overclock in the bios , and i7 3840qm also can be overclock in the bios , but what's the difference ? i7 3840m has the limited 400mhz for us to overclock , so i might set it to (4.2 ghz for 1 core , 4.1 ghz for 2 cores , 4.0 ghz for 3-4 cores ) this is the level 3 factory overclocking , but does it causes overheating or damage the processor or something ?

Hey any pro here can tell me about the Extreme processor and Non extreme processor , i7 3920xm can be able to overclock in the bios , and i7 3840qm also can be overclock in the bios , but what's the difference ? i7 3840m has the limited 400mhz for us to overclock , so i might set it to (4.2 ghz for 1 core , 4.1 ghz for 2 cores , 4.0 ghz for 3-4 cores ) this is the level 3 factory overclocking , but does it causes overheating or damage the processor or something ?

If the paste job on your system was dpne decent from factory those speeds should be good for gameing and daily use.

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

Thank you svl7,

I replaced existing memory chip hynix H5GQ2H24MFR-T2C (1.35-1.5V) with H5GQ2H24AFR-R0C (1.5V). The memory chips is properly soldered (tested on X-ray). In standard VGA mode, the card boot and works, but after installing the drivers, drivers do not work properly and after a reboot I got only the bsods. Probably, the drivers initiate the card with 1.35V voltage (that H5GQ2H24AFR-R0C does not support) and then applied 1.5V.

I guess I'll have to do a next smal hardware mod or replace the memory chips again, with samsung (1.35-1.5V) chips this time. :(

Does anyone have another idea?

Wow... that's impressive, quite tricky soldering such bga packages, but it seems you have the proper tools, pretty cool :) I don't think the drivers set the voltage, I'd say the voltage is fixed, hardware wise, look at the card, if I remember correctly there are two voltage regulators which are responsible for the vram modules.

Your problem most likely isn't just the voltage, but also the vbios. What timings do the new modules need?

with the latest 12.11 beta drivers from AMD my 7970m @ anything over 900/1300 will make the screen flicker, but as soon as i run a game at full screen the flickering stops ? im unable to figure out the reason for this. i need a few more posts to get access to the vbios patcher download, but im thinking it has to do with the 2D rendering as in 3D everything is working just fine ? any info on this would be a big help