AMD 7970m - modified VBIOS

Actually not really cause at stock I can only OC to about 920/1560 and the voltage stays at 1.0v according to several tools i used. Then i tried the old trick that I used on my old 5870 and 6990m and created a OC profile in CCC and opened it with notepad++ and changed the target 3d voltage from 1000 to 1050 and only then my card reports the desired voltage value of 1.050 that i wanted to have (used same tools of course to check the voltage) and can OC to 1000/1560 without any issues

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk 2

dudue how u create an OC profile in CCC??me im using the overvolt vbios for HM series 1.075v!!

Hello everybody.

I'm using an Alienware M17xR4 with the 7970m.

On Win7 I could overclock without problems, but since I'm using Win8, it doesn't work anymore.

When I over- or underclock just 1 MHz the screen starts to flicker. I tried a lot with modifying the driver, but nothing seems to work.

So I decide to try the way by modding the BIOS.

Are there any other configurations online ? Or just the ones in the startpost.

By software, I had overclocked my card till 948/1550 without problems. Is it possible to create a bios with this values ?

Hello everybody.

I'm using an Alienware M17xR4 with the 7970m.

On Win7 I could overclock without problems, but since I'm using Win8, it doesn't work anymore.

When I over- or underclock just 1 MHz the screen starts to flicker. I tried a lot with modifying the driver, but nothing seems to work.

So I decide to try the way by modding the BIOS.

Are there any other configurations online ? Or just the ones in the startpost.

By software, I had overclocked my card till 948/1550 without problems. Is it possible to create a bios with this values ?

Hi Nemesis.

You could use the vbios patcher tool to create your own vbios file. Quite easy, even for noobs.

http://forum.techinferno.com/vbios-patcher/1767-vbios-patcher-releases-changelog.html

• Thumbs Up 2

Ok, thanks.

But another thing, why am I not able to download the attachments in this forum ?

I would like to create a bootable USB-Stick using the file included in this instruction-thread: http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/1738-%5Bguide%5D-amd-vbios-flashing.html

But everytime I try to download the attachment (http://forum.techinferno.com/attachments/microsoft-windows/2741-bootable_disk.zip), I get an error-report:

Unbenannt.JPG

What can I do ?

I can't download the vbios Patcher as well. :(

Same error:

Unbenannt.JPG

What's the problem ? Why can't I download any attachments on this site ?

• Founder
Ok, thanks.

But another thing, why am I not able to download the attachments in this forum ?

I would like to create a bootable USB-Stick using the file included in this instruction-thread: http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/1738-%5Bguide%5D-amd-vbios-flashing.html

But everytime I try to download the attachment (http://forum.techinferno.com/attachments/microsoft-windows/2741-bootable_disk.zip), I get an error-report:

Unbenannt.JPG

What can I do ?

I can't download the vbios Patcher as well. :(

Same error:

Unbenannt.JPG

What's the problem ? Why can't I download any attachments on this site ?

You will only be able to download after 5 quality posts. It's right there on the forum rules, right there on the pm you got when you registered and right there in the yellow message on top of your screen.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh damn, you're absolutely right. Too dumb to read. :(

Sorry Michael !

Did anyone of you experienced problems with overclocking the 7970m using Windows 8 too ?

Under Win7 I was able to overclock with MSI Afterburner without any issues.

Under Win8 I get graphic-glitches immediately after over- or underclocking the card.

I tried a lot of changes with the graphics driver, but nothing worked.

Do you think a modded BIOS is the solution ?

ok then to activate the overdrive option try installing MSI Afterburner and start the tool with "-xcl" e.g "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\MSIAfterburner.exe" -xcl this should do the trick

ok then to activate the overdrive option try installing MSI Afterburner and start the tool with "-xcl" e.g "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\MSIAfterburner.exe" -xcl this should do the trick

this will enable the xml profile even the overdrive option is missing??mine 7970m has voltage 0.975v.even if i flashed the overvolt vbios 1.075v it stays at 0.975v.how is that possible??

yes it will activate overdrive in CCC so that you can make a overdrive profile but about the voltage actually i dunno maybe it's a driver issue could be related the same as 7970 + P1x0HM and HDMI

yes it will activate overdrive in CCC so that you can make a overdrive profile but about the voltage actually i dunno maybe it's a driver issue could be related the same as 7970 + P1x0HM and HDMI

i added overdrive option but now i cant find these settings i read at the guide.

Options/Profiles/Profiles Manager

where are they??

• Founder
hm, strange. I installed overdrive and actually wanted to run it. it just says "AMD Overdrive cannot detect any AMD CPU on this Computer"

?

It's part of the catalyst driver, you are installing the cpu od. Not all laptops have gpu od available.

Sent from my GT-N7000

Try following this mini-guide it's nearly the same but instead of changing core/memory clocks you have to change the voltage

LINK

Here is my OC.xml for example

OMG!!it worked my man!!rly thx!!! :D my voltage is 1.050v now!!!i can even go 1.070v without the need of flashing overvolt vbios!!! :D

here is a vantage run at 980 core 1400 memory!!my temps are little high cuz i have 28 celsius in the room!!!

overclocks.jpg

lol high temps you say you only got 80 °C mine gets to about 89 °C at stock voltage and clocks :highly_amused: never repasted yet but i don't feel uncomfortable yet

btw i just tried you can even undervolt your Card in 2D Mode if anyone is interested, just tried 0.8v instead of 0.825 and it works perfectly

just edit following in the Profile you created

Feature name="CoreVoltageTarget_PCI_VEN_1002&DEV_6800&SUBSYS_51021558&REV_00_4&18583ED6&0&0008A"

Property name="Want_0" value="800"

Property name="Want_1" value="1050"

• Thumbs Up 1

Its true the 2d can be undervolted but i wouldnt go much lower. I saw flickering just on desktop when lower than that. Good thing to check is CGI performance. In games where it switches back and forth from realtime rendering to prerendered movies which use the 2d clocks... surfing can prove stable and those in game cut scenes may not be. 0.8v seems to be a good undervolt. I use MSI Afterburner OSD for reporting gpu info and HWiNFO to add cpu and more to it. With fans on high that makes me idle around 27-30c on gpu :)

Sent from my Paranoid Samsung Galaxy S3 on Sprint using Tapatalk 2 Jelly Bean flavor included

Hey, new to the forum, quality info. Having an issue that doesn't seem to have been an issue with anyone else. I flashed to the 1.1 950 core and 1400 mem, everything went fine. Loaded up Afterburner all sliders are set to 0 with no ability to increase overclocks. Any suggestions.

Drivers are 12.9 - also used 12.8 same issue

Latest Afterburner

Enable unofficial overclocking in Afterburner and use option 2 so it disables powerplay. ULPS disabled may help but shouldn't be required.

Sent from my Paranoid Samsung Galaxy S3 on Sprint using Tapatalk 2 Jelly Bean flavor included

Enable unofficial overclocking in Afterburner and use option 2 so it disables powerplay. ULPS disabled may help but shouldn't be required.

@x2pinpoint: to enable unofficial overclocking, close MSI afterburner, go to your MSI afterburner install path and open MSIAfterburner.cfg.

Scroll down to the end of the file. There you will find the following:

[ATIADLHAL]

UnofficialOverclockingEULA =

UnofficialOverclockingMode = 0

AccessibilityCheckingPeriod = 0

change it to the following:

[ATIADLHAL]

UnofficialOverclockingEULA = 1

UnofficialOverclockingMode = 1

AccessibilityCheckingPeriod = 0

start afterburner again, agree the popup and you'll be able to set clocks.

Have fun!

• Thumbs Up 1