M17 R4 GTX 980M upgrade

Hi all! So im trying to upgrade an R4 with the 120HZ 3d display and Nvidia gtx 675M. I reformatted the SSD to GPT and installed fresh windows 10 with UEFI, after installing the 980M i get 8 beeps.

I have tried disabling legacy mode in the bios but i cannot, i hooked up an external monitor to it and got it to load up fine once and then it crashed while i was trying to modify the .inf for the latest 980m drivers. But after that i cannot get it to boot properly with the 980m.  Do i absolutely need a unlocked bios for this to work?  If i have no integrated graphics card how do i disable legacy mode?

Yes you'll need a pure UEFI environment which means disabling the Legacy ROM option. You'll have to put the 675M back in to get back into the BIOS. 

I have never done the upgrade on an R4 so I'm not sure if you need the unlocked BIOS or not. Since you have the 120Hz display it should already be set to PEG as default so there should be no need to change the video mode, which is one of the big reasons to flash the unlocked BIOS. 

well i put the 675 back in and now i cannot get back into the bios, i just get 8 beeps. I've disconnected the power supply, removed battery, removed cmos battery, let it sit over night, cycled the power button and i still cannot get the bios to reset so i can get into the bios. 

• Bios Modder
1 hour ago, CerberusVI said:

well i put the 675 back in and now i cannot get back into the bios, i just get 8 beeps. I've disconnected the power supply, removed battery, removed cmos battery, let it sit over night, cycled the power button and i still cannot get the bios to reset so i can get into the bios. 

Hi!

It has related with the BIOS settings. It needs to be set in bios to PEG mode to work correctly.

I recommend you to read this topic:

and this:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/msi-gtx-1070-mxm-successfully-working-on-alienware-m17x-r4-another-socket-victory-against-bga-crap.803637/

Edited by Klem

5 hours ago, CerberusVI said:

That's a tough one. A CMOS reset should usually do the trick. The laptop doesn't seem to be recognizing the Nvidia card. You mentioned above that you could sometimes get the 980M to work before it crashed. Does this still work sometimes or is it 8 beeps every time?

There is a chance that you've damaged the 675M but it's probably the BIOS settings.

Just as a 'Hail Mary', you could try downloading Windows 10 onto a USB using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool and start up the laptop with the USB plugged in. If it's not posting due to a driver issue then doing this should force the PC to go into recovery mode. I used this trick over the weekend while testing a faulty 880M in a 17. It wouldn't post after installing the driver but I got it to boot after putting the USB in. 

So with the suggestion of a friend i got the 675M to work again. All i did was the built in display test  (power button and D on start) and everything started working. I was able to flash my bios with an unlocked version from Klem. After that i was still getting the MXM GOP error trying to disable legacy boot,  So i used NVflash and flashed a different Vbios for the 675M from the forum and was able to disable fastboot and legacy mode for UEFI after  that. 

So i have 980M working in windows 10, It shows up in device manager with Nvidia Driver version 399.24. But now my issue is the GPU fan is not coming on at all, Even at idle it eventually thermal throttled and turned off until i put a laptop cooler on it. I ran Counterstrike source video test just because it was small and i was getting 299FPS but was getting dangerously hot.

Do i need to flash the Vbios on this 980M for the laptop to control the fan? if so where would i get a vbios that will work?

vBIOS' are available from TechPowerUp. When you search for one, click on the Unverified Uploads in the GPU Brand dropdown as it will give you more options. There is also the Prema mod vBIOS for the 980M which a lot of people seem to use. I'm not sure where you can download that from though. Maybe try NotebookReview

The other option is to use HWiNFO to manually control your fans. 

Yeah I have been using Hwinfo for now and it seems to be working fine with a custom ran curve. Temps are good, fps seems fine. So is it safe to try to flash a clevo or MSI vbios to the 980? Gpu-z says it is a Dell vbios now

Im using an older Nvidia driver 399.?? But I was trying to get cod modern warfare to work but it crashes on the into video saying I need updated video drivers. I haven't quite figured out modifying the inf files to make a more current on work, iirc it was 451.48. I tried and it still wouldn't install even after disabling driver signature on boot.

• Bios Modder
7 hours ago, CerberusVI said:

Yeah I have been using Hwinfo for now and it seems to be working fine with a custom ran curve. Temps are good, fps seems fine. So is it safe to try to flash a clevo or MSI vbios to the 980? Gpu-z says it is a Dell vbios now

Im using an older Nvidia driver 399.?? But I was trying to get cod modern warfare to work but it crashes on the into video saying I need updated video drivers. I haven't quite figured out modifying the inf files to make a more current on work, iirc it was 451.48. I tried and it still wouldn't install even after disabling driver signature on boot.

Hi!

Try to install Nvidia drivers with .inf files from this link:  https://premamod.wordpress.com/2017/08/15/j95-nvidia-inf/

If you don't have any luck with the link that Klem posted then write down your Device ID for me and I'll mod one for you. I can't download files on my work computer but I have a reasonably newer driver saved on my Dropbox so I'll add your ID to that one and it should get you through until I can mod the latest one.

To get your ID go to Device Manager - Display Adapters - Right click on your GPU - Properties - Details - Select Hardware ID from the dropdown. I just need the first or second line. 

I used the link klem posted and was successful in installing an older 430 series driver making cod work. 

I didn't end up flashing the vbios because I was running into problems with mismatch I'd errors

I repasted the CPU and cleaned the heatsink and fan after I ran into issues but my next step is setting up a better fan curve with Hwinfo making it start on startup. Without Hwinfo I run into thermal issues on the GPU and CPU side where after a couple of minutes I was only at about 2000rpm ish on the CPU and it turned off. 

Awesome. If you'd like the 451 driver then let me know. Otherwise you could learn how to mod your own driver. It can be tricky the first time but it's actually pretty simple and you can keep it up to date whenever a new one is released. Try this guide and I'm happy to answer any questions.

https://null-src.com/posts/nvidia-notebook-driver-inf-mod/post.php

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I've revived my old AW M17x R4 with a new GTX 980M but I've been having issues to install the latest drivers. I've tried some of the modded files and following the instructions to mod my own driver, but without success. The only driver I was able to install is an old 419.x and that has been causing issues with BSOD on shutdown.

@MattyB I've seen you were able to assist others here with modding drivers, could I kindly ask you for help with modding a driver for me? my HW ID below:

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_05511028&REV_A1

On 10/1/2021 at 5:13 AM, PiPous101 said:

Hi all,

I've revived my old AW M17x R4 with a new GTX 980M but I've been having issues to install the latest drivers. I've tried some of the modded files and following the instructions to mod my own driver, but without success. The only driver I was able to install is an old 419.x and that has been causing issues with BSOD on shutdown.

@MattyB I've seen you were able to assist others here with modding drivers, could I kindly ask you for help with modding a driver for me? my HW ID below:

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_05511028&REV_A1

Hi, sorry I don't check the forum here all that often. Did you still need help with a modded driver? The easiest way is for me to walk you through it as I'm usually online while I'm at work and I can't download and install files on my work computer which is what I'd need to do to mod the driver for you. I have your Hardware info so walking you through the process is pretty easy

• 9 months later...

Hello I modded my files but still getting the DRIVER has not foud the HARDWARE, which is visible in HWiNFO64 with PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_05511028&REV_A1 and not visible under DEVICE MANAGER.

These are my MODDED lines in the nvdmig.inf

%NVIDIA_DEV.13D7.0551.1028% = Section036, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_05511028
NVIDIA_DEV.13D7.0551.1028 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M" 

I modded too the ListDevices.txt to see if that worked but still the same
DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_05511028 "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M"

i onle left the necesary files 
I am not using UEFI 
I disable the windows protection Disable DSE - bcdedit /set testsigning off
I disable all antivirus
I run everything as ADMINISTRATOR

AND NOTHING WORKS :( ANY SUGGESTIONS? 

Edited by ADWEBSYS

On 7/20/2022 at 10:04 AM, ADWEBSYS said:

Hello I modded my files but still getting the DRIVER has not foud the HARDWARE, which is visible in HWiNFO64 with PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_05511028&REV_A1 and not visible under DEVICE MANAGER.

These are my MODDED lines in the nvdmig.inf

%NVIDIA_DEV.13D7.0551.1028% = Section036, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_05511028
NVIDIA_DEV.13D7.0551.1028 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M" 

I modded too the ListDevices.txt to see if that worked but still the same
DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_05511028 "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M"

i onle left the necesary files 
I am not using UEFI 
I disable the windows protection Disable DSE - bcdedit /set testsigning off
I disable all antivirus
I run everything as ADMINISTRATOR

AND NOTHING WORKS :( ANY SUGGESTIONS? 

You need UEFi switched on and disable Load Legacy option ROM. You will have to reinstall Windows when switching from Legacy to UEFI and you will have to change your drive partition type from MBR to GPT as Legacy uses MBR and UEFI uses GPT. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello I did the UEFI and LOAD LEGACY OPTION ROM DISABLED, of course windows is now in UEFI, but device manager still not recognising the card, I tried installing drivers but still saying no compatible hardware : (

If the card isn't detected in the BIOS or Device Manager then the chances are that it's faulty. You will never be able to install a modded driver if no card is detected. 

• 8 months later...