EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs

I've installed my new 7970 on a Windows 7 system first with ne modded driver from the start post. Everything worked fine and GPU performed as expected. Now I've installed Windows 8 and I'm using the latest 12.10 catalyst driver. The video performance is about 50% of my Win7 system. Anyone else expecting these issuses? Haven't tried the modded driver under Win8 yet, since I don't want to "mess" my new system...

I've installed my new 7970 on a Windows 7 system first with ne modded driver from the start post. Everything worked fine and GPU performed as expected. Now I've installed Windows 8 and I'm using the latest 12.10 catalyst driver. The video performance is about 50% of my Win7 system. Anyone else expecting these issuses? Haven't tried the modded driver under Win8 yet, since I don't want to "mess" my new system...

Use the 12.11 beta driver and see if it works better.

I'm new to these forums and I was just wondering would Alienware M17 M18 VGA Upgrade Kit Dell HD7970M | eBay work in my M15x? I'm still using the GTX 260m and it needs to be gone. :)

yes that kit will work, but be sure to check the backplate's screw holes, sine the default backplate from m17x/m18x is way to high for the m15x's heatsink screws, therefore the gpu's die cannot make contact with the heatisnk

yes that kit will work, but be sure to check the backplate's screw holes, sine the default backplate from m17x/m18x is way to high for the m15x's heatsink screws, therefore the gpu's die cannot make contact with the heatisnk

I used a copper shim and it seems to do the trick for people who are using the m17/18 backplate.

@hitokiri_jaguar

I got same issues with you. Using the default 7970M backplate (For Alienware M17x) for my m15x. Undervolt my card to 1.0V actually reduce the throttle and heat issues (At least my laptop now don't turn off if the temp reach 85c). Tried with many drivers 12.10,12.11 and some Beta version gives me BSOD. Now i am using A01 by Dell, seem the card is quite stable, but i still got 'freezing' issues when gaming (Medal of Honor Warfighter).

@hitokiri_jaguar

I got same issues with you. Using the default 7970M backplate (For Alienware M17x) for my m15x. Undervolt my card to 1.0V actually reduce the throttle and heat issues (At least my laptop now don't turn off if the temp reach 85c). Tried with many drivers 12.10,12.11 and some Beta version gives me BSOD. Now i am using A01 by Dell, seem the card is quite stable, but i still got 'freezing' issues when gaming (Medal of Honor Warfighter).

Its probably because your card is unstable on full load at 1.0v. That's how mine was when I undervlted it from 1.050 to 1.00, it froze after awhile and after reverting back to stock its fine now but throttles again.

Its probably because your card is unstable on full load at 1.0v. That's how mine was when I undervlted it from 1.050 to 1.00, it froze after awhile and after reverting back to stock its fine now but throttles again.

Indeed. I am still thinking the long term solution to tackle down this problem. Currently i have no idea what else to do. Undervolt to 0.795 will drop the performance of the card. Any idea bro?

Thanks

Indeed. I am still thinking the long term solution to tackle down this problem. Currently i have no idea what else to do. Undervolt to 0.795 will drop the performance of the card. Any idea bro?

Thanks

I'd say if you're not having any problems running at stock voltage, just run at stock then. If you must undervolt then try slowly by going one step below what your stock voltage is.

Ex: my stock voltage is 1.050v so I would try a 1.025v voltage.

I'd say if you're not having any problems running at stock voltage, just run at stock then. If you must undervolt then try slowly by going one step below what your stock voltage is.

Ex: my stock voltage is 1.050v so I would try a 1.025v voltage.

UV to 0.950 will resolve your HEAT issues for sure bro, but the performance for the card will drop like shit :/ Running at stock voltage will turn off my laptop once the temp reach 85c, I am trying to hack the default copper with copper shim later and see how.

No one else here using Windows 8? Or is it a specific problem of my system? It's really annoying to see this nice card perform almost like my old 460GTX... :/

As soon as I deactivate Power Play in the CCC the performance drops like shit! Is this normal? Only about 1/4 of the performance with PP enabled!

UV to 0.950 will resolve your HEAT issues for sure bro, but the performance for the card will drop like shit :/ Running at stock voltage will turn off my laptop once the temp reach 85c, I am trying to hack the default copper with copper shim later and see how.

I'm using a copper shim since my gpu die wouldn't make contact. My temps don't really go above 73C under the most stressful of load and that's with my stock 1.050v.

No one else here using Windows 8? Or is it a specific problem of my system? It's really annoying to see this nice card perform almost like my old 460GTX... :/

I'm using Windows 8. Have you tried the 12.11 Beta11 drivers?

I'm using Windows 8. Have you tried the 12.11 Beta11 drivers?

Yes, already tried them and they perform a bit better, but performance under Windows 7 was muuuch better! Have you tried the gpu with Windows 7? And if you deactivate Power Play is your performance thaaat bad, too?

I'm using a copper shim since my gpu die wouldn't make contact. My temps don't really go above 73C under the most stressful of load and that's with my stock 1.050v.

Could you tell me which drivers you are using at the moment?

Yes, already tried them and they perform a bit better, but performance under Windows 7 was muuuch better! Have you tried the gpu with Windows 7? And if you deactivate Power Play is your performance thaaat bad, too?

I didn't try 7 because comparing my card to other people's and even benchmarks, my card seems to be running fine. I didn't try turning powerplay off because for me with it on, performance seems fine.

Could you tell me which drivers you are using at the moment?

I'm running 12.11 Beta11 as of right now.

Good idea... But no difference at all... :( Does maybe anyone else here use Win8 without performance issues?

Hi kack, im on windows 8. I haven't had any severe performance issues although I haven't played the same games on 8 as I did Win7.

Although now im curious and need to install a bench and see how it does, self doubt lol

Update: performance as good as Win7. Ended up with 0.975v vbios and cutting my xm oc. Borderlands 2 runs like a dream maxed out 1080p. Low physx of course

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

@ssj92

1: Using 12.11 Beta 11 also throttle the GPU to the max 850/1200Mhz (Even undervolt to 0.950v)

2: When reached 85c, the laptop will go turn off.

3: Running Windows 8 with 720QM processor.

Any idea else?

Thanks.

@ssj92

1: Using 12.11 Beta 11 also throttle the GPU to the max 850/1200Mhz (Even undervolt to 0.950v)

2: When reached 85c, the laptop will go turn off.

3: Running Windows 8 with 720QM processor.

Any idea else?

Thanks.

Check gpu fan speeds when over 71 or 75c. Override with hwinfo64 to 5000rpm and recheck temps. If still high, repaste

Check gpu fan speeds when over 71 or 75c. Override with hwinfo64 to 5000rpm and recheck temps. If still high, repaste

Tried this before but still failed, did the re-paste using different thermal including Arctic Silver 5 . Is it normal if i use MSI Kombustor the card will max to 850/1200 all the way? Thanks :)