svl7,

I am using the drivers from dell which is Gfx_AMD_A01_8.973_N3GM1_setup_ZPE, but RECENTLY my m15x caused BSOD (A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor).

From your first post, i can see that you mention about the drivers A00. I am wondering whether A01 is the reason why m15x encounter BSOD at the moment. What do you say bro?

Thanks.

Hey everyone, First post for me...i have an m15x. I recently installed windows 8, 920xm qs, and a week ago installed the 7970m dell card. Everything was good up until i put the gpu in. It runs but has a couple issues since the swap.

First is the fan for the cpu is running at a constant 3000rpm(hwinfo). Sometime is just stays at that speed from start up and sometimes after a power drain itll operate normal then after a game when it cools down it sometimes goes back to being stuck at 3000.

Next is memory clock most of the time gets stuck at 300mhz. When it is normal(after power drain) it drops mem and core while playing a game to 300mhz for a sec(msi & gpu-z) then goes back to normal.

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

Found out more info loggin...when everything is working good the gpu is running at 300core/[email protected](idle) and 850core/[email protected](gaming) . When it down clocks it goes to 450core/[email protected] for a sec or two. Today it was running fine playing diablo3 aside from the glitch and then all of a sudden it down clocked and stayed there till i restarted then it was fine. At the same time it is stuck at this lower clock, the cpu fan is running on high while temp is down to 45-48*, gpu goes down to 44* and stays there. Idle temp is 51*+/-5* and gaming it gets up to 80* playing d3 when it is working at normal clocks.

As a side note hdmi does work, the cards audio doesnt work(i run audio threw idt audio), and native fan works

OK had a problem with writing vbios...gpuz would show the clock change but current clock would stay the same...same thing would happen when trying to change volts...so i decided to clean all video driver. Found nvidia drivers still in my sytem. Cleaned them and cleaned all ati drivers. Installed 12.10 drivers and an undervolt to 1.000v and everything is working great. Thanks svl7 for the vbios!!

Hi, again,

My previous technician refused to continue checking my laptop :( so I contacted a dell certified technical company, and the told me:

The 7970m has nothing wrong, and there is not a chip getting hot when using that card in your laptop, the problem is your processor (Core I7-720QM) and the heat sink because it doesn't fit the video card. Because of this two things, the gpu isn't being cooled properly.

Do you think they are right? I installed the thermal pads according to this picture:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/<wbr>56470267/7970M.jpg

but in the chips located at the upper part of the picture I had to apply 3 layers of thermal pads so they could reach the heatsink.

Do I need a modified heat sink in order to be able to turn on the laptop?

Is my cpu incompatible with that video card?

thanks in advance.

@hitokiri_jaguar

Welcome to the club! I am also using I7-720QM with AMD 7970M, i got overheat and throttling issues before. Your thermal pad is good. Its been 2 days and so far it is good (NO bsod, and the gpu load is good while i am playing COD Black Ops II and Medal of Honor Warfighter), the temp is around 70-75c during the gaming.

You can try :

1: Disable the SpeedStep (I think so) in your bios.

2: I am using latest Beta drivers by AMD now.

So far it is good..hopefully it will good until forever!

Cheers bro!

Modded A09, will check revision later. I should've clarified slipped my mind, in Windows no matter the driver version I use ever since install. dp out works during post. If theres a way to make this work with the clevo card that'd be awesome. of course I'll feel like a crank then but worth it!

Chipset rev 11, Southbridge rev 06

Hi svl7, thanks for all the work in creating all these awesome threads!

I just got my 7970m today, im on a i7 720qm and the stock 150w psu, I'm just wondering if I'd need the 240w supply?

Its recommended so that you're not running your 150w power supply at its full peak constantly, which would cause it to fail early.

Well, I run my 150W PSU with a 6970m & 920xm combo for months without any issues, and the 6970m draws distinctly more power than the 7970m... so I'd say you should be fine. 240W will just run at a higher efficiency, and therefore stay cooler.

I installed my 7970m, been playing some games everything ran smoothly, only got around 70 max temp. This morning however as i was gaming the screen got distorted and sound too, then i had to turn off the laptop wait a while before it responded again. The temperature was really low so that couldnt have been the problem. Any ideas what caused that?

I reverted back to 12.10 driver from 12.11 beta, still has the same black screen. I went back and checked I did all the paste and padding correctly, now however I cant even start windows normally..it freezes after the welcome screen.

If I can get back in Im gonna try clean uninstalling amd drivers and then install the one that eurocom gave me on the disc.

I reverted back to 12.10 driver from 12.11 beta, still has the same black screen. I went back and checked I did all the paste and padding correctly, now however I cant even start windows normally..it freezes after the welcome screen.

If I can get back in Im gonna try clean uninstalling amd drivers and then install the one that eurocom gave me on the disc.

Welcome to my world, I have the same issue and haven't been able to solve it, try disabling speed step in the bios, that's the next thing I'm going to try once I get my new thermal pads.

If it works, or you find another solution please post it here

Few things i noted over last 10-20 posts. Hwinfo if used for fan control will turn your cpu fan and gpu fan to the same speed so if you are using hwinfo for fan control that is exactly why your cpu fan is probably running 3k rpm constantly.

On the 7970m i dropped 10c on my main gpu by going back in and checking every inch of heatsink and gpu thermal pads and repasted etc. Just being a mm off on one or two thermal pads made my temps 10c higher.

As mentioned 85c+ is not stable for long term gaming. The prob is likely not thermal protection but power draw. As temps rise given the same mhz and voltage the power draw increases. Lower the temp and less power is used even if its a small amount it can effect systems like m15x which have smaller psu and voltage rails. If undervolted and temps are in check all of you should be able to game like SVL7 kn your m15x with 7970m.

I cant stress enough that thermal pad placement is so important it can cause your gpu to overheat if they are just a little off.

Few things i noted over last 10-20 posts. Hwinfo if used for fan control will turn your cpu fan and gpu fan to the same speed so if you are using hwinfo for fan control that is exactly why your cpu fan is probably running 3k rpm constantly.

Actually in the M15x HWiNFO controls the fans individually, works perfectly fine.

However if a Clevo 7970m is used in the M15x, both fans will constantly run at a high speed, unless HWiNFO is used to provide automatic fan control.

If you get a crash when Windows loads, or at the welcome screen, then it's most likely software related I'd say. Maybe a complete fresh install of Windows will help.

I swapped back in my 5850m and installed appropriate drivers. For some reason my fan control stopped working and my games lost half their fps.. I have been using catalyst 12.11 beta8 and before the upgrade my 5850m was 40+ fps most games now it dropped to 20+ fps. hwinfo64 tells me it is operating at 625/1000, so I dont know whats wrong. Any help appreciated.

Actually in the M15x HWiNFO controls the fans individually, works perfectly fine.

However if a Clevo 7970m is used in the M15x, both fans will constantly run at a high speed, unless HWiNFO is used to provide automatic fan control.

If you get a crash when Windows loads, or at the welcome screen, then it's most likely software related I'd say. Maybe a complete fresh install of Windows will help.

cool I see thanks for the info SVL7 I had no idea i had thought they had similar EC.

- - - Updated - - -

I swapped back in my 5850m and installed appropriate drivers. For some reason my fan control stopped working and my games lost half their fps.. I have been using catalyst 12.11 beta8 and before the upgrade my 5850m was 40+ fps most games now it dropped to 20+ fps. hwinfo64 tells me it is operating at 625/1000, so I dont know whats wrong. Any help appreciated.

its been coming up in the beta from card to card and beta version to beta version. For now i have 2d and 3d clocks flashed to the same and ULPS/Crossfire auto link disabled so I am not getting that anymore. on my 7970m minwhen it did that instead of 2d clocks of 150/300 i was getting 300/1200 for a clock which seems to be coming from the driver. also sometimes i had issues of 450/1200 loading not even a 2d/3d clock I think its what 7970m goes to on battery and it would flip to that and crash on early beta. matching all my vbios clocks to 3d and using the ulps etc off has prevented this issue and likely is not necessary once the beta drivers are completed and made whql. so all I can suggest is temporarily do something similar or revert your driver to a slightly older beta of 12.11.