Do you still have the original 150W adapter? These must be cheaper and you could buy one just for charging the battery. I believe also the lower power 80W PSU from the inspiron or whatever has the same fitting and might charge the battery but no one has tested that. I know svl7 has managed to get some very impressive benchmark scores with a 7970m without removing the centre pin but I have no idea how he managed them. For us lowly humans removing the centre pin is the only option.

1. Yes i have both 150w and 240w (Both are Delta). Right now i am just using 150w for charging / gaming / etc. I still don't dare to remove the centre pin for 240w because it's very hard to get it here and also expensive.

2. And to be honest i am very confused (or noob) about the 'throttling' issues (Even keep reading every single pages on other forum). E.g : Using 7970M with BF4 (Multiplayer) with all set to HIGH settings, my fps seem stable around 35-45, temp max 76c with 850/1200Mhz using 150w PSU.

3. Here i post the result from my 3D Mark Vantage.

post-6998-14494997257819_thumb.jpg

1. Yes i have both 150w and 240w (Both are Delta). Right now i am just using 150w for charging / gaming / etc. I still don't dare to remove the centre pin for 240w because it's very hard to get it here and also expensive.

2. And to be honest i am very confused (or noob) about the 'throttling' issues (Even keep reading every single pages on other forum). E.g : Using 7970M with BF4 (Multiplayer) with all set to HIGH settings, my fps seem stable around 35-45, temp max 76c with 850/1200Mhz using 150w PSU.

3. Here i post the result from my 3D Mark Vantage.

[ATTACH]11094[/ATTACH]

Ah sorry I didn't realise you have a 720QM processor. Throttling of the GPU occurs when your CPU draws excessive amounts of power. This rarely happens on any i7 CPU other than the extreme ones. When you try to overclock the i7 920/940xm then throttling is a real pain. Seeing as how you don't have an extreme processor you shouldn't have too many problems with throttling so I wouldn't worry about removing the centre pin. Fire up gpu-z, leave it running in the background then after gaming see if you notice any dips in the 850Mhz 3d clock speeds (suggesting throttling). If not then all is good :)

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thankyou guys for your amazing contribution, currently i'm having a 4yr old machine.

Just want to get a few things clarified,

1 ) I'm having a complete cover protection can i ask the dell guys for changing the chassis and instead of the very problematic 260M can i upgrade to any other DELL alternative. This card had gave me hell of a problems plus the DX10 makes it more low-end to all the games.

2) Can i upgrade my GPU w/o upgrading to 920XM as they are @388USD plus the GPU would make the price make it again to a + $600 (both CPU and GPU upgrades with the PSU) or please suggest me an alternative to these expensive mods as i live in India these cards and cpu's are very expensive and the dell guys here don't know about any of these mods. If any one has a good card or any deals for m15x card upgrades like the MXM website (Down now... :() or inap of notebook review forums (Aged) it would be of great great help.

Excuse me for this newbie type post....

Thankyou !!

You can get a 460m or 5850m from Dell, that's it. You most likely have to pay for it, I doubt they'll upgrade you for free. Since Dell asks a rather high fee for this you're better of doing it yourself.

MXM cards - check the forum marketplace or ebay.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
@svl7 Just read in Shoutbox Archive you mentioned that I don't have to yank the center pin for Delta PSU 240w in order to gain more power from it. Any alternative for this?

Thanks mate :D

Is there a thread here on T I called M15x throttle fix? Only svl7 has managed to not get gpu throttling on M15x without the removing the centre pin to my knowledge.

We are of course talking about if you want to overclock a 920/940XM processor and overclock the GPU. If you intend to run your 720QM you should not run in to any gpu throttling.

EDIT: CPU throttling not a problem in M15x.

Is there a thread here on T I called M15x throttle fix? Only svl7 has managed to not get throttling on M15x without the removing the centre pin to my knowledge.

We are of course talking about if you want to overclock a 920/940XM processor and overclock the GPU. If you intend to run your 720QM you should not run in to any throttling.

I am not worry about the CPU throttling bro, but needs more power for 7970M.

By the way i am going to get Kill-A-Watt soon and see how 150W and 240W PSU works on my m15x. (Run 3D Mark using 150W and 240W PSU , i got slightly high score using 240W for GPU and lower score for CPU)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I just recently started considering upgrading the GPU on my now 4.5 year old M15x. Currently I've still got got the stock 260M and will probably look towards the 7970m. Does anyone who recently (or maybe not so recently) upgraded know of any reasonably priced vendors?

I'll trawl through this thread and see if I can find any answers to my question but I figured I'd ask straight out anyhow.

Many thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, so ive read the entire thread but still havnt found a way to get it working :/ i have the dell 7970, and when i plug it in and start up the laptop it just goes to black screen and caps+scroll icons just blinks. Though sometimes i can get it to the bios menu, but then it often crashes :/ i have uninstalled the drivers and such, anyone have an idea about what to do? And i read earlier in the thread about a similiar problem, where flashing the vbios fixed it, but the problem is, my comp cant stay on long enough for me to flash with the new gpu in... it still works when i plug in the 260m though, some help and fast reply would be immensly appriciated! Like extremly much! Ive hasseled with this for some time now :(@svl7

Hey guys, so ive read the entire thread but still havnt found a way to get it working :/ i have the dell 7970, and when i plug it in and start up the laptop it just goes to black screen and caps+scroll icons just blinks. Though sometimes i can get it to the bios menu, but then it often crashes :/ i have uninstalled the drivers and such, anyone have an idea about what to do? And i read earlier in the thread about a similiar problem, where flashing the vbios fixed it, but the problem is, my comp cant stay on long enough for me to flash with the new gpu in... it still works when i plug in the 260m though, some help and fast reply would be immensly appriciated! Like extremly much! Ive hasseled with this for some time now :(@svl7

Take a look at blind flash for 7970M. Hopefully it works for you.

I had problem with my 7970M as well. I think the card is f*cked up. Re-flash also cannot help to revive my card. I believe there is nothing to do with drivers as the card is spoiled on startup. I attached the video here so everyone can enjoy the beautiful of it lol :D

Done list to revive :

a) Re-flash to stock DELL 7970M = failed.

B) Blind flash = failed

c) Undervolted the card = failed

d) Baked the card = failed

Pending list :

a) Probably i will go for re-balling the card. Will update the status soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree with Genetics, sounds like a hardware issue. The only thing you can check is whether the pins of the card are clean and not damaged or similar. The 7970m works with all vbios version in the M15x, except for the P1x0EM and MSI version, with those you only get a black screen.

I had problem with my 7970M as well. I think the card is f*cked up. Re-flash also cannot help to revive my card. I believe there is nothing to do with drivers as the card is spoiled on startup. I attached the video here so everyone can enjoy the beautiful of it lol :D

Bake again? Temps and time you baked it?

I agree with Genetics, sounds like a hardware issue. The only thing you can check is whether the pins of the card are clean and not damaged or similar. The 7970m works with all vbios version in the M15x, except for the P1x0EM and MSI version, with those you only get a black screen.

There is some thermalpaste thats gotten a bit over the card, could that have an effect?

Im gonna look into blind flashing it, but the hardware issue should be regarding the GPU right? Considering everything works fine when im using the 260m? I have contacted Upgrademonkey the ones i bought it from on ebay, so im not sure where to go from here :/ and thanks for the reply guys!

I wish i could bake it again. I think it is good try to re-ball the card soon. I'm using oven toaster for about 10 minutes with difference temps (180 - 240c) Can see the solder is melting while doing the process so i assume its hot enough. The frustration is this card suddenly *dead* while i am doing my work, not in gaming. After the baking session, the card looks great, no weird pixel and can boot normally to Windows. But when the card is under load and reach 55-60c it went black / freezing screen. Reboot the laptop and it will appears like the video i show above. But..if i re-seat the card + power drain again, it will boot normally and when the card is under load and reach 55-60c, went black again. Hopefully re-balling with revive the card, any opinion @svl7 ?

PS : I thought you are away @svl7 for some fun? Lol

There is some thermalpaste thats gotten a bit over the card, could that have an effect?

No. Unless you used liquid ultra or similar and smeared it all over the components :D

Im gonna look into blind flashing it, but the hardware issue should be regarding the GPU right? Considering everything works fine when im using the 260m? I have contacted Upgrademonkey the ones i bought it from on ebay, so im not sure where to go from here :/ and thanks for the reply guys!

Yeah, for me it sounds like a defective GPU. As I said, if you have the wrong vbios it should boot fine, but black screen only.

I wish i could bake it again. I think it is good try to re-ball the card soon. I'm using oven toaster for about 10 minutes with difference temps (180 - 240c) Can see the solder is melting while doing the process so i assume its hot enough. The frustration is this card suddenly *dead* while i am doing my work, not in gaming. After the baking session, the card looks great, no weird pixel and can boot normally to Windows. But when the card is under load and reach 55-60c it went black / freezing screen. Reboot the laptop and it will appears like the video i show above. But..if i re-seat the card + power drain again, it will boot normally and when the card is under load and reach 55-60c, went black again. Hopefully re-balling with revive the card, any opinion @svl7 ?

PS : I thought you are away @svl7 for some fun? Lol

Huh, that's odd. Another guy recently PMd me and seems to have a very similar issue... no idea what's the problem, really.

Yeah, well, I was away. Ski tour :D Will be away again soon :P

No. Unless you used liquid ultra or similar and smeared it all over the components :D

Yeah, for me it sounds like a defective GPU. As I said, if you have the wrong vbios it should boot fine, but black screen only.

Huh, that's odd. Another guy recently PMd me and seems to have a very similar issue... no idea what's the problem, really.

Yeah, well, I was away. Ski tour :D Will be away again soon :P

I know that is not only me having this issue right now based on my reading via Google. Don't tell me its something like a 'virus' that attacking 7970M now lol. It's more hard when every solutions you tried are failed! This is what scaring me off!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Im sorry to recant a problem with my 7970m but can't help but realize it is a very similar situation. I just had 7970m replaced by Alienware when no matter what as load got put on the gpu I wpuld get flickering all on stock clocks and vbios and sudden black screen till load went down and temps went down. I never did solve what was wrong because I tried all basic troubleshooting and it happened on both 7970m switiching prmary and secondary cards was repeated for my crossfire setup. I hope it gets resolved my cards needed replacing... almost seemed like damaged VRM as it happened under a decent 3d load after using some power and heat. The only thing replaced was the video cards and that issue went away. It also never happened on the Intel IGP. I hope your card is not damaged but it very well might be possible.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

i have been following this thread for a while now, because I think it is time to spend him an update.

First of all I want to Point out that I don't want the Ultra high Performance fastest ever seen Mx15, I just want to play that fucking Diablo3 ROS in full 1080p (acutal with all teh effects I ahve to use the fewest Details and Resolution of 13xx )

I just want to spend him a new graphic Card. So the price/value Ratio of the 7970m is now very good I think.

So my question is if it is necessary to Flash the vbios on the graficcard or can I run it on stock? I would do the mod with a friend which is a Little bit more into modding an programming.

I would by this Card. Alienware AMD HD DELL 7970M 2GB GDDR5 -for M15x, M17x , M18x ,upgrade monkey | eBay

Thanks for helping some modding noob! :-)

• Thumbs Up 1

It may not be necessary but giving it an under volt on stock clocks or little lower will help lower power draw which would be good in the M15x's case. Depends on what cpu you have if you will be pushing the power supply to it's limits and what that is clocked at. I'm sure SVL7 could elaborate more ;) cheers

It may not be necessary but giving it an under volt on stock clocks or little lower will help lower power draw which would be good in the M15x's case. Depends on what cpu you have if you will be pushing the power supply to it's limits and what that is clocked at. I'm sure SVL7 could elaborate more ;) cheers

Yeah that would be great.

I have an intel core i7 q740 @1,73ghz

Yeah that would be great.

I have an intel core i7 q740 @1,73ghz

Since you are not running an XM cpu you will at least have plenty power available on your power supply for this :)