Hi guys,

I have a question, I know maybe answers are somewhere in those 37 pages, but I did;t find all answers of my questions, so please advise me.

I have M15x with Q820 and AMD5850,

I plan to buy 7970 upgrade from MXM-Upgrade.

But I have few questions since I use my notebook mainly for work in Office with External Monitor over DP, and from time to time for some gaming.

Due to this I have following question.

1. Is it native fan control running (especially for on from MXM-Upgrade ordered with Dell Vbios)

2. Display PORT is it working ok on MXM-Upgrade card, since I always use my notebook on external monitor.

3. Is it Power Play working (I mean when GPU not in full load like on normal Word/Excel work to lower his core speed)

4. Since I don;t have Extreme CPU should I worry about throttle issues when GPU on full load.

5. Do I need to ask for something more like X bracket form MXM-Upgrade, since I have ATI 5850 now and maybe it will be same as 7970

I will really appreciate your answers and recommendations.

BR,

Ivan

1. not native, but hwinfo does take control (don'T know about dell cards, mxm-upgrade has clevo cards). just configure that (there is a thread about this) and let it start with windows.

2. the mxm-upgrade cards are clevo cards (tho having a flashed dell vbios) and seem NOT to support the DP. i can't and lot's of others can't as well.

3. the gpu clocks go down, when not using e.g. 3D games etc. so yes.

4. if you don't have crazy overclocked your xm cpu, you shouldn't have throttling problems.

5. the mxm-upgrade cards hdo deliver a fitting bracket. maybe ask for screws, those are differen't than the dell ones.

since you need a working DP, probably you would be best getting a dell card. i think upgrademoneky has some.

I have a question, I know maybe answers are somewhere in those 37 pages, but I did;t find all answers of my questions, so please advise me.

I have M15x with Q820 and AMD5850,

I plan to buy 7970 upgrade from MXM-Upgrade.

But I have few questions since I use my notebook mainly for work in Office with External Monitor over DP, and from time to time for some gaming.

Due to this I have following question.

1. Is it native fan control running (especially for on from MXM-Upgrade ordered with Dell Vbios)

2. Display PORT is it working ok on MXM-Upgrade card, since I always use my notebook on external monitor.

3. Is it Power Play working (I mean when GPU not in full load like on normal Word/Excel work to lower his core speed)

4. Since I don;t have Extreme CPU should I worry about throttle issues when GPU on full load.

5. Do I need to ask for something more like X bracket form MXM-Upgrade, since I have ATI 5850 now and maybe it will be same as 7970

I will really appreciate your answers and recommendations.

BR,

Ivan

Hi there ,

I am Alienware m15x user from Indonesia, i have a question (sorry if my english not good)

First, this is my m15x specification :

-CPU Intel Core i7 740QM @ 1.73GHz 59 °C

Clarksfield 45nm Technology

-ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730 (Dell)

-ram 8gb

-motherboard Alienware , bios A08

I want to buy 7970m from ebay (Upgrademonkey) = $490

anything more should i buy to upgrade my m15x beside 7970m ?

Its my CPU is good enough to use 7970m ?

Thanks anyway for the good information at post 1 :)

I had the same CPU and there wasn't an issue. The card I bought was bad and I couldn't return it. I was past the 30 day return period. So I ended up with an $500 paper weight.

You bought 7970m from ebay? who is the seller?

sorry to hear that. $500 is much lost @_@

Another tweaking HD 7970m on Windows 8 Pro, here is the result for 3d Mark Vantage. Wish i could hit 18k for GPU score! :ah:

AMD Radeon HD 7970M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-720QM Processor ,Alienware score: P15257 3DMarks

@svl7 - Do you think is it safe for me to OC the card? Your opinion Mr. Master? :)

• 3 weeks later...
What kind of trouble?

Thank you for responding and sorry for the lack of information; my keyboard randomly but frequently decided to not register my keystrokes making typing a nightmare. I may have not attached the cable from the media panel as securely as i thought after i installed the gpu so i will see if that is the problem.

As for the fan problem.. I can get to the fan control settings fine, but im not quite sure which sensors to use (basically how to configure it to work properly) and i was hoping to attain some help from a more knowledgeable person.

Thank you for responding and sorry for the lack of information; my keyboard randomly but frequently decided to not register my keystrokes making typing a nightmare. I may have not attached the cable from the media panel as securely as i thought after i installed the gpu so i will see if that is the problem.

As for the fan problem.. I can get to the fan control settings fine, but im not quite sure which sensors to use (basically how to configure it to work properly) and i was hoping to attain some help from a more knowledgeable person.

check out this thread about alienware fan control with hwinfo.

helped me a lot configuring.

hey all, i done this upgrade a fair few months ago, went perfect! but today i had my motherboard replaced under warranty due to the Ethernet port not working, after having a mix up with Alienware and about 3 faulty motherboards fitted i now have one that allows the computer to start, and also has a working Ethernet connection! but, there is always a BUT! when i play games which i used to get 60-80 fps during a high load battle and about 120 fps just standing around (World of Warcraft) i now get 6 - 15 fps in major city's and 40-60 fps with graphics on the lowest possible settings! i have re seated and re pasted the GPU but this has not helped, any ideas what the reason to this may be?

NovaBench

322 FPS with Geforce Graphics Card

907 FPS with 7970M

these results where on 08/01/13 when the new card was fitted (before / after)

now i run the benchmark again and i am only getting 219 FPS... what has happened?

also, Alienware are now informing me that due to the change of graphics card the whole laptop is warranty void? i thought this was not the case with Alieware?

many thanks for your time to reply to this issue!

Jake

hey all, i done this upgrade a fair few months ago, went perfect! but today i had my motherboard replaced under warranty due to the Ethernet port not working, after having a mix up with Alienware and about 3 faulty motherboards fitted i now have one that allows the computer to start, and also has a working Ethernet connection! but, there is always a BUT! when i play games which i used to get 60-80 fps during a high load battle and about 120 fps just standing around (World of Warcraft) i now get 6 - 15 fps in major city's and 40-60 fps with graphics on the lowest possible settings! i have re seated and re pasted the GPU but this has not helped, any ideas what the reason to this may be?

NovaBench

322 FPS with Geforce Graphics Card

907 FPS with 7970M

these results where on 08/01/13 when the new card was fitted (before / after)

now i run the benchmark again and i am only getting 219 FPS... what has happened?

also, Alienware are now informing me that due to the change of graphics card the whole laptop is warranty void? i thought this was not the case with Alieware?

Jake

have you done an undervolt with svl7s vbios?

run gpu-z and tab out of game, to see if the card is running 3D clocks (850/1200).

i had to flash the 0.950v vbios, to make my 7970m run stable.

are you using the latest amd drivers as well?

in WoW i get about 40-60 fps in major cities and stable 60fps anywhere else (vsync on, high settings).

Wish can help you with that brother! Unfortunately i'm also using my DP for second monitor, luckily it works very well with the dell card!

I'm going offline for 3-4 weeks for my wedding celebration! Gonna miss the techinferno!

anyone using a dell 7970m, but not using the display port wanna trade his with a clevo 7970m? :Banane34:

i need to get my DP to wrok :(

have you done an undervolt with svl7s vbios?

run gpu-z and tab out of game, to see if the card is running 3D clocks (850/1200).

i had to flash the 0.950v vbios, to make my 7970m run stable.

are you using the latest amd drivers as well?

in WoW i get about 40-60 fps in major cities and stable 60fps anywhere else (vsync on, high settings).

i havent, but i also installed the old GPU to test, and same result, does this mean faulty mobo? that dell will no longer replace due to warranty being void.... (sigh) computer is now worse off that it started before they touched it! :'(

cheers

Jake

Make sure stealth mode is inactive.

About the warranty... in the US it would be fine according to Dell reps, but I guess the morons in the EU and other regions handle this differently.

I never had issues with the on-site service, they don't really care what is in your system as long as you didn't damage it.

Regarding the DP issues... I'm not sure what's going on, I'm positive that my second monitor worked with the Dell card and with the Clevo card (connected per DP to HDMI).

Make sure stealth mode is inactive.

About the warranty... in the US it would be fine according to Dell reps, but I guess the morons in the EU and other regions handle this differently.

I never had issues with the on-site service, they don't really care what is in your system as long as you didn't damage it.

Regarding the DP issues... I'm not sure what's going on, I'm positive that my second monitor worked with the Dell card and with the Clevo card (connected per DP to HDMI).

about the DP issues, maybe a driver issue? without the amd drivers, the DP works.

maybe the drivers which were up-to-date that time worked? but it's not thaaat long ango, since you had your 7970m, right?

Hi,

I have a question, recently I buy 7970m which is supposed to be Original Dell card, because as I asked before I wish to use my Display Port, that;s why I was looking exactly for Orignal Dell card.

Well card come but DP don;t work, am I doing something wrong do I need to do something with drivers ?

or simply this is not Original Dell card, how I can determine if it is Original or Not ?

BR,

Ivan

P.S. Some fast answer will be highly appreciated