Hello guys ... My name is Pascal are just writing here ....

I saw that you also suffer from the same problem ...

Updating the M15x with 7970M HD have problems with voltage drops of the GPU, causing a drastic decrease in performance ...

This is like saying SVL7 caused by power supply circuits on the motherboard ....

I have a G73 JH with Dell 240 Watt PSU, updated with 940XM and HD 7970M Clevo ...

I am also suffering from this problem, so I applied a overclock the CPU 27/24/18/18 with 62 Watt power as a limit.

The standard GPU clocks and 1.00 Volt ... in this way it seems that the system has a good compromise, although with ufterbunner shows the declines load GPU ...

have any of you tried undervolting GPU? ... using a VBIOS with standard clocks and 0.95 volts? in this way the GPU should absorb less power ...

Today I tried to cool the circuits ICR power to the motherboard in my G73JH with small copper heatsinks ....

This has not improved ....post-9944-14494994308833_thumb.jpg

Today i tried Windows 7 64-bit with AMD 12.10 on clean installation. Shocked with the result from it. Using 3d Mark Vantage = heat up to 79c

AMD Radeon HD 7970M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-720QM Processor ,Alienware score: P15546 3DMarks

Probably i switch back to Windows 7 64 bit after this.

I think I bricked the GPU. I did the overvolt flash and no I get no display on reboot.

Bro,

I realized what is your problem now, under Windows 7 64 bit after using 13.1 AMD drivers , i run the 3D Mark Vantage and most of the score i get is under 10k. First score i got around 18k (better than Windows 8 Pro), I think this is MORE to drivers related issues. Seriously we need @slv7 to help us out on this matter.

Thanks.

Today i tried Windows 7 64-bit with AMD 12.10 on clean installation. Shocked with the result from it. Using 3d Mark Vantage = heat up to 79c

AMD Radeon HD 7970M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-720QM Processor ,Alienware score: P15546 3DMarks

Probably i switch back to Windows 7 64 bit after this.

just a sec, you tried windows 7 64 bit and probably want to switch back to windows 7 64 bit? :b

do you mean windows 8?

does the card run bad on a windows 8 machine? i am using it..

(still waiting for my card :grumpy:)

My personal opinion :

1 : Windows 7 = Score slightly high on 3d Mark Vantage, but not pretty stable.

2 : Windows 8 = Score lower on 3d Mark Vantage, but quite stable.

I'm using Windows 8 64 bit again now , 7970m on Windows 7 just.....strange.

just a sec, you tried windows 7 64 bit and probably want to switch back to windows 7 64 bit? :b

do you mean windows 8?

does the card run bad on a windows 8 machine? i am using it..

(still waiting for my card :grumpy:)

ah, good! i'm on win 8 pro as well.. always was a little afraid of win8 being bad for such experimental stuff!

My personal opinion :

1 : Windows 7 = Score slightly high on 3d Mark Vantage, but not pretty stable.

2 : Windows 8 = Score lower on 3d Mark Vantage, but quite stable.

I'm using Windows 8 64 bit again now , 7970m on Windows 7 just.....strange.

finally got my 7970m today! runs like a charm.

only thing is, that i couldn't find any fan settings to set with hwinfo.

well, i found some, that somebody used for a m17x, can i use those for my m15x as well? i think the m17x got bigger cooling pipes, don't they?

those settings are:

66c = 1950 to 1978 rpm

70c = 2500

71c = 3200

79c = 3900

thanks for help!

EDIT:

i found this thread which helped me out! (maybe this could be added to the first post)

finally got my 7970m today! runs like a charm.

only thing is, that i couldn't find any fan settings to set with hwinfo.

well, i found some, that somebody used for a m17x, can i use those for my m15x as well? i think the m17x got bigger cooling pipes, don't they?

those settings are:

66c = 1950 to 1978 rpm

70c = 2500

71c = 3200

79c = 3900

thanks for help!

Did you manage to figure out if the vbios that came with the card from mxm-upgrade works fine or did you use the one posted here?

One more question if i may. Where did you happen to find your screws for the x-bracket. I've searched a few stores but found nothing so far.

actually i couldn't find the screws at the bigger hardware shops. gonna take a look at some shops specialized on screws this week.

for now i took some screws from a external harddrive case :b

those which hold the front and back cover, the heads are a bit small, so i had to use some additinal washers.

thank you Jeddik, i'll try to get some locally first. if that won't succeed, i'll prolly order them there.. shipping is really high :b

Did you manage to figure out if the vbios that came with the card from mxm-upgrade works fine or did you use the one posted here?

i have to say i actually have found out my card is throttling with the vbios, that came on the card.

trying some undervolting vbios from svl7.. but somehow i can't get around it by now..

ok i tried the UV vbios from 1.000v to 0.975v from svl7.

sems to run better, but still throttles sometimes to 450mhz..

temperature went up to 80°c after sometime, but the throttling occured at random temps.. :/

wondering whats wrong here.. any thoughts?

EDIT:

okay i think i got it.. all vbios i flashed somehow were not kicking butt.. after switching stealth mode on and off, everything went fine.

i am on the 0.975v vbios now.. no throttling and (i think) a good 3Dmark11 bench:

AMD Radeon HD 7970M video card benchmark result - Intel® Core i7 CPU Q 840 @ 1.87GHz,Alienware score: P5591 3DMarks

seems ok, does it?

Has anyone done this upgrade to the M17X R2? If so what kind of performance are you getting and can we run two of them or only one? Thanks I'm looking into doing this to my M17X R2 , my 5870's just aren't pulling it and Dell is just giving me a run around on trying to sell my upgrades for the video card end.

One more question if i may. Where did you happen to find your screws for the x-bracket. I've searched a few stores but found nothing so far.

i couldn't find screws like that in teh local shops.

contacted mxm-upgrade.com and asked if they sell those.

they told me, that they usually are included. they will send me a set, since mine were not with the card :D

Done some tweaking, here is the latest result for the Vantage : AMD Radeon HD 7970M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-720QM Processor ,Alienware score: P15319 3DMarks

Slightly improved even with 4GB RAM! I still facing some issues recently about bsod , machine_check_exception and clock_watchdog_timeout.

Using the debug to analyze the culprit and guess what?

Probably caused by : atikmdag.sys ( atikmdag+7460d3 ) :62:

@svl7 Mine here --> AMD Radeon HD 7970M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-720QM Processor ,Alienware score: P15200 3DMarks

Taken when i was on Windows 7 , do you thing its good for 720QM the score like this?

Thank you for your opinion :Banane34:

has anyone of the posters in this thread about not getting their DP to work have success?

i just tried to use my extern monitor, but it doesn't detect any signal.. using the DP to hdmi adapter that came with the machine.

any hints?

has anyone of the posters in this thread about not getting their DP to work have success?

i just tried to use my extern monitor, but it doesn't detect any signal.. using the DP to hdmi adapter that came with the machine.

any hints?

Never. Only works without ati drivers of any kind installed on win8. Never tried expanded settings as without drivers makes it useless. Hopefully someone will get it before I sell my own little beast

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

geez.. wish this would work someday.. this would make the card perfect!

Never. Only works without ati drivers of any kind installed on win8. Never tried expanded settings as without drivers makes it useless. Hopefully someone will get it before I sell my own little beast

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2