EVGA SR-2 Build

Unfortunately today I got the thermal pads , is it worth to remove it and re apply thermal pads and paste ?

or only the paste will do the job ? and I guess Arctic MX-4 is iron free, so it wont conduct at all , eh!!

and yesterday night I applied thermal paste over the mobo chipsets along with the volt regulators and nf200 chips with Arctic mx-4 and the thermal paste spilled over some places where there is some resisters like , and I have no thermal pads on my sr2 mobo and the hd 6990 card , will anything happen to use it without thermal pads?

thanks

If there isn't a lot of paste squeezed out over the other components you should be fine. I've had a bit squeeze over in my lappy my friend with no I'll effect. But if there is gobs of it that spilled over you may want to clean it up some as it could trap more heat than it helps alleviate. Especially if it's sitting over other components but not touching the heatsink to transfer the heat. It's upto you my friend. You already know excess can be more hinderence. To much just adds more material between components and heatsink. Pads you ordered might as well use them since you bought them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unfortunately today I got the thermal pads , is it worth to remove it and re apply thermal pads and paste ?

or only the paste will do the job ? and I guess Arctic MX-4 is iron free, so it wont conduct at all , eh!!

and yesterday night I applied thermal paste over the mobo chipsets along with the volt regulators and nf200 chips with Arctic mx-4 and the thermal paste spilled over some places where there is some resisters like , and I have no thermal pads on my sr2 mobo and the hd 6990 card , will anything happen to use it without thermal pads?

thanks

if there is enough paste where thermal pads were supposed to be it should be fine. we do that on mobile vram sometimes since it performs 2X better

• Thumbs Up 1

for now no updates because my G73 is sick (under treatment) . I'm mostly concerned about fixing him first.

okay well hopefully that is sorted out okay. I'll keep an eye out for updates.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats EVGASR2 that's some nice scores stock. Looks like you could just apply your cpu overclock and get some nice scores. What components are running to hot to overclock?

I just pasted my gpus and cpu with Prolimatech PK-1 and it's performing better than Mx-4 and on par or in some scenarios better than ICD and it was easy to apply like MX-4.

• Thumbs Up 1

cant overclock my cpu more than this , the stock speed is: 1.6ghz , I have overclocked it to 2.5Ghz at 208 bclk * 12 multi . if I overclock more than this , sometimes I get bsods .

but on a cool day i was able to oc to 2.64 at 220bclk * 12 multi.

the volt regulators on my hd 6990 running so hot , the gpu's running cool , yesterday I opened the card and saw , the thermal paste over the ram has remained the same , it didnt get in contact with heatsink , so I used the thermal pads , but after reinstalling the heatsink , the gpu started to get hot very fast , like 90oC when using firefox .

its because the thermal pads are 1mm thick and not letting the gpu to get in nice contact with the heatsink .I guess the thickness should be 0.5mm and is there a way to use thermal paste over it to make some contact , then the temps will be more less.

thanks

• 2 months later...

UPDATE : my HD 6990 died on me , so I returned it to seller , for now im using my GTX 465 .

Ordered an X5650 ES Xeon for now , will be getting it within a week or so .

also sold my G73jh .

have planned to watercool both the cpu's ( E5603 and X5650 ) still not sure if Il be able to run my E5603 along with my new X5650 .

• Founder
UPDATE : my HD 6990 died on me , so I returned it to seller , for now im using my GTX 465 .

Ordered an X5650 ES Xeon for now , will be getting it within a week or so .

also sold my G73jh .

have planned to watercool both the cpu's ( E5603 and X5650 ) still not sure if Il be able to run my E5603 along with my new X5650 .

lol you killed the card and then returned to seller? Nice going....

----

Asylumized!

oh yea .

I asked him for the x plate and the screws , he didnt have it , and I didnt find that thing anywhere , so ran the card without it but only with custom screws , now its dead due to overheat.

Actually it was not my fault because, he told me that he will send the xplates too , but he didnt .

and I tried searching it everywhere , but couldnt find one , so I used it with custom springs .

and due to the heat the card died .

so I returned it , seller said he will rma it and resell in ebay or ask me to pay him the same price so he will re ship to me.

up to now didnt hear back from him, so for the money I have in hand il go gtx 680 route.

• 10 months later...

Greetings. Sorry, I'm a newbie here. I have a question about the X5660 ES. I had problems with my E5530 chips ES. I had to look for a modified BIOS. You use standart BIOS from EVGA?

Thank You