VBIOS mod for XPS 17 L702X possible?

Greetings!

I have just bought myself a new laptop and was looking to overclock my GT 555m. Here are the specs and my results so far:

Dell XPS 17 L702X

Intel Core i7-2670QM

12 GB Ram

Default Bios

Graphics Clock: 760 Mhz

Processor Clock (Shader Clock): 1520 Mhz

Memory Clock: 970 Mhz

Driver version: 285.77

Taking into account that it is not an Alienware, that it sits on a Cooler Master NotePal X2 and that I achieved a stable overclock not going over 66 degrees celcius in EVGA stress test at full 1920X1080, would there be a way for me to achieve greater clocks? I read a post from svl7 concerning a modified bios which sets the card to a 0.93 voltage. Would that work for my XPS?

Thank you for any help provided!

P.S.: Sorry for not posting that in the Dell section as it seems pretty dead to me :(

Edited by Stephen Chasle

Hi, and welcome to T|I!

I can take a look at your BIOS when I find some time and see whether I'm able to provide you with a similar mod for your system.

Sorry for not posting that in the Dell section as it seems pretty dead to me :(

True, not much posts in the Dell section, but I see all the new posts anyway, so don't worry about not getting noticed ;)

Moved the post to a new thread.

Edit: After a quick look at the latest BIOS I'd say it should be possible, provided there's an additional setting in the vbios. Can't exactly see the reason behind this, but it seems all previous VBIOS versions are included in the BIOS, including GF106 and GF116 vbios files, there are total eight of them. Will take a closer look at it when I come around to.

Edited by svl7
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yes much agreed feel free to post in the Dell section and we would all love to read about it. We all see the new posts as SVL7 states and are not limited to the subforums you post in :) Welcome to Tech|Inferno Stephen

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you mates :)! Can't wait to see if I can top

Graphics Clock: 760 Mhz

Processor Clock (Shader Clock): 1520 Mhz

Memory Clock: 970 Mhz

This laptop is not suppose to serve its main purpose as a gaming machine but I must say I love playing SOTIS on Starcraft 2 and with Diablo 3 coming, a few extra frame rates will not hurt. I rather play in 1920X1080 and have to endure medium settings than lowering the resolution. I'm sure you guys can understand ^^.

EDIT: I was also wondering, by how much approximately will this all cut my laptop life by?

Added after 3 minutes:

MW86...NICE LAPTOP :o

too expensive for the use I have of mine, let it be a desktop or a laptop. I'm just a casual gamer these days :P.

Edited by Stephen Chasle

There is another voltage entry in the VBIOS, so it should allow for some higher overclocking, similar to the M14x with VBIOS mod.

I'll upload a modified BIOS in the next few days.

• Thumbs Up 3

There is another voltage entry in the VBIOS, so it should allow for some higher overclocking, similar to the M14x with VBIOS mod.

I'll upload a modified BIOS in the next few days.

Awesome SVL7 now XPS can get some real large boosts :)

Thanks Stephen ;) its plenty of fun tweaking Mobile too just ask SVL7 :P Mad Modder, the Voltage Regulator, The DON of bios and vbios mods... this guy makes Tesla look sane :P yeah a soldered volt mod on a 6990M ;) plus an M15x thats going to have the Statue of Liberty for a heatsink :) :)

you wont be cutting barley a few months off it of its entire life span if you keep things cool :) make sure thermals are in check or repaste to be sure :) if your comfortable working on a computer (can be 10 years+ technology moves faster than most of the stuff degrades hence the stow of old towers and such of yester year lol)

Edited by mw86
  • Thumbs Up 1

Alright, here's a modded BIOS, 3d voltage changed from 0.8625V to 0.9125V.

It's based on the A17 BIOS, since there were several VBIOS files in the BIOS I simply modified the latest GF116 and GF106 VBIOS files, I don't really see why it should be necessary to do the same with the older versions, I expect that the BIOS flashes the latest VBIOS to your system.

Anyway, hope you can test it soon, I'll be waiting for your response.

You can flash the file with your preferred BIOS flashing utility, e.g. with the one Dell provides for the L702x.

As always, flash on your own risk. You are responsible for the changes you do on your system.

_____

Awesome SVL7 now XPS can get some real large boosts :)

Thanks Stephen ;) its plenty of fun tweaking Mobile too just ask SVL7 :P Mad Modder, the Voltage Regulator, The DON of bios and vbios mods... this guy makes Tesla look sane :P yeah a soldered volt mod on a 6990M ;) plus an M15x thats going to have the Statue of Liberty for a heatsink :):)

Hahaha, thanks man :D No need to exaggerate though :P Tesla ftw!!

Dell XPS L792X - A17 VBIOS mod [TEST].zip

Edited by svl7
  • Thumbs Up 3

Well, this mod was simply a VBIOS mod, I just had to extract the VBIOS from the BIOS and then used a hex-editor for modifying it.

Regarding the hidden menus of this specific BIOS, I don't really have an idea how to do it. UEFI isn't that well researched so far.

• 1 month later...

I am finally back! Sorry for the wait. So, how should I proceed once this bios is installed? Do I keep trying to OC the card like I was doing? Even under heavy OC testing, my GPU doesn't go higher than 68 degrees.

P.S.: How do I change my name on here -_-'?

• Founder
I am finally back! Sorry for the wait. So, how should I proceed once this bios is installed? Do I keep trying to OC the card like I was doing? Even under heavy OC testing, my GPU doesn't go higher than 68 degrees.

P.S.: How do I change my name on here -_-'?

Pm me with the new name ;-)

Sent from my ParanoidAndroid powered GNote

• Thumbs Up 1

So, how should I proceed once this bios is installed? Do I keep trying to OC the card like I was doing? Even under heavy OC testing, my GPU doesn't go higher than 68 degrees.

Yes, just check how far you can overclock, this bios should allow you to push your clocks (core only) a bit higher. Also GPU-Z (and similar tools) should report a different voltage value.

• Thumbs Up 1