Modifiying laptop vbios

Hi all,

It has been a while since I did anything to my laptop (Clevo P670RG-G) and since I recently got a VR Headset I wish I could overclock my GPU a little. So far the NVidia software (on windows) doesn't allow me to overclock it (the linux sort of allows, which some custom Xorg options) so I decided to give a try modding the vbios.

I read all sorts of issues / guides about it, and it seens that the hardware topology (where the vbios is stored and how things are connected) changes from machine to machine.

What I know about my laptop is that it has two VBios, one for Hybrid Mode and one for Discrete Mode. I'm currently running the discrete mode.

I dumped my VBios using GPU-z and opened up in Maxwell II Bios Tweaker. Everything seens fine so far.

So I have few questions about it:

- There is a way to just unlock the VBios to show the overclocking options in NVidia software? (That way I dont need to reflash to change clocks)

- I can just flash this GPU-z dump to my VBios?

- If I brick my GPU, that GPU-z dumped image is the raw SPI image, so if I managed to physically access the VBios, I can just reflash over it?

- I saw some people saying that I might need as well to flash the main laptop bios as well, is that really needed?

Thanks!

Lucas

Capturar2.PNG

• 2 weeks later...

When I modified VBIOSES years ago I did it using a hexeditor so I'm not familiar with that program but I only unlocked core, memory and voltage adjust and increased TDP without any overclocking and then after flashing my modified VBIOS I used overclocking software with profiles so I could change the OC according to my needs.

When I did this on optimus enabled systems there was only the GPUs SPI chip that I needed to flash, on some systems the system BIOS also contains a NVIDIA VBIOS but I've never had to replace it. There should also be a Intel VBIOS but you don't have to do anything with that.

I know some ASUS laptops with MXM GPUs didn't have the VBIOS on the MXM card so you'd have to first extract it from the system BIOS, modify it, replace it, rebuild the BIOS and then flash the system BIOS.

If you're unsure you should have a SPI programmer a backup of you VBIOS using GPU-Z or something and a sop8 150-mil adapter and some soldering skills, or use a sop8 test clip with the programmer (these can be a pain in the ass to get working and you often have to supply current to the board for it to recognize the chip)