HP Elitebook 8760w GTX 870m Overclock

Hello there! I've managed to overclock my GTX 870m mxm card, but I can only get it up to +60 Mhz on the core, and +100 Mhz on the memory. When I try to overclock it further than that I start getting issues with games crashing. There's no artifacts at all, and the temperatures seem to be alright. 

I've looked for Modified VBIOSes, but I can't find one that works with my system. When I try flashing a vbios rom with nvflash, vflash says something about the Hardware ID being missmatched. 

I have managed to include the stock rom that was on the card in the first place.

System Information:

- I7 2760qm

- 14 Gb DDR3 1333

- GTX 870m 3 Gb

Other information on the card: 

- 3072 Mb Samsung Memory.

- Pulled from an MSI laptop.

Stock870m.rom

i have a modded bios on my hp gtx 870m but it's non uefi , will check your bios to see if it uefi or not for compatability, my gtx 870m is 3gb as well.

just curious what wattage is the power supply that you are using ?

my 870m would power throttle  i used at first a 150 watt powersupply then up'd it too 180w 

use GPUZ and run a game in the backround to see if there is a power limit

when your flashing are you doing --index -0 -6 gtx870m3g.rom ? it should override board id mismatch

also is the gpu disabled in device manager before flash ( lol just checking ..one can never be too sure )

hope it works! best of luck 

cheers!

f45546a8_indexflash.png.abae406fb80f1245acd3634ce38fa837.png

1 hour ago, arsenex said:

when your flashing are you doing --index -0 -6 gtx870m3g.rom ? it should override board id mismatch

also is the gpu disabled in device manager before flash ( lol just checking ..one can never be too sure )

hope it works! best of luck 

cheers!

f45546a8_indexflash.png.abae406fb80f1245acd3634ce38fa837.png

Thanks, Ill give it a try. 

Well, I was going to try to disable it, however, it won't let me do that. It probably has something to do with there not being any onboard graphics.

In device manager, the box where it says to disable the GPU is grayed out. This could be that there's no internal GPU. 

As for GPUz I have a screenshot of that too.

What did you use to stress the GPU? I was just using BeamNG

dfasdgsdgasdg.PNG

dsfasdfsdfsdf.PNG

this is the bios 

on the second image are the phase states ( p00 p01 p05 )

if its stuck at 967mhz for some reason it's stuck P05 state

will look into this some more for you 

Capture11.PNG

Capture122.PNG

whats the cpu ? it should have the intel hd graphics ?

On nvidia inspector it shows that the power state is on P0. I don't see power states in GPUz.

Also, apon flashing the vbios. When I reboot, it should show that the bios is modified on GPUz, right? GPUz or Nvidia Inspecter.

as far as i know gpuz wont show (modded) but i do know nvidia inspector will show if its modded or not

so even with an over clock its still stuck at 967mhz?

you can also give this a shot 

With overclocking it goes above 967 mhz. I don't think I can change the voltage though. 

I've also tested to see if the vbios you gave me actually flashed to the card. I used NvFlash to get the vbios off of the Gfx card and I put the vbios file in Keplar BIOS Tweaker. The boosts clocks are there in Kepler BIOS Tweaker. 

With a +60 Mhz offset on the core it gets 1027 Mhz on the core. 

With a +100 Mhz on the memory it gets 2601 Mhz on the memory.

It goes past 967mhz when overclocked. 

Edited by Asavage9794

I tried a bios off of the link you gave me. I am gonna reboot and see if it worked. If it shows a black screen I will need to re flash the old vbios. 

No, It's not grayed out. THe max i've ever tried without overvolting via MSI Afterburner was +102. It wasn't as stable past that. 

3 minutes ago, arsenex said:

got my fingers cross'd for you

Thanks man. I've rebooted now, and I know it worked cause it showed the vbios spash screen saying "This vbios was modded by--" Or something along those lines. 

Also, when is a good time to apply voltage? When the temp are in a good place and you can't get a higher clock? That's what I am guessing.

• Thumbs Up 1

when i had the 870m on my older laptop i only did 12.5 on nvidia inspector 

i was too scared at the time to try more due to the 180 watt power brick limit lmao!

glad its working (somewhat lol)

you can mess with it with the bios keplar tweaker  on boost states but it varies from card to card

CHEERS!