Windows 10 local network

adam.jakey

I have always been a big fan of Windows 7. I have 4 Media PCs throughout my house and a laptop. I have recently updated some of them to Windows 10 Pro. I have tried everything to get them talking on my LAN. I cannot share files anymore. They all ping, but are missing in the network folder. Thank God for Plex. Any advice? 

• 6 months later...
To enable file sharing in Windows 10:
  1. Open the Network and Sharing Center by clicking Start > Control Panel, clicking Network and Sharing Center, and then clicking Advanced sharing settings.
  2. To enable network discovery, click the arrow to expand the section, click Turn on network discovery, and then click Apply. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  3. To enable file sharing, click the arrow to expand the section, click Turn on file and printer sharing, and then click Apply. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  4. Click Save changes.
If you are still having trouble, make sure Windows Firewall is not blocking file and printer sharing. Do the following:
  1. Open Windows Firewall by clicking the Start > Control Panel, clicking Security, and then clicking Windows Firewall.
  2. Click Allow a program through Windows Firewall. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  3. In the Program or port list, make sure the File and Printer Sharing check box is selected, and then click OK.
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

it could be because you have blank passwords on the account you are using to access shares.  You can test by creating local test accounts with password.

If blank passwords are necessary, then you will need to change the local computer security setting to allow blank passwords using local group policy editor

change 'Accounts:  limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only' to Disabled

it is located under 'Computer Configuration / Windows Settings / Security Settings / Local Policies / Security Options'

• 2 months later...
On 10/28/2019 at 5:09 AM, JustAnotherModder said:
To enable file sharing in Windows 10:
  1. Open the Network and Sharing Center by clicking Start > Control Panel, clicking Network and Sharing Center, and then clicking Advanced sharing settings.
  2. To enable network discovery, click the arrow to expand the section, click Turn on network discovery, and then click Apply. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  3. To enable file sharing, click the arrow to expand the section, click Turn on file and printer sharing, and then click Apply. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  4. Click Save changes.
If you are still having trouble, make sure Windows Firewall is not blocking file and printer sharing. Do the following:
  1. Open Windows Firewall by clicking the Start > Control Panel, clicking Security, and then clicking Windows Firewall.
  2. Click Allow a program through Windows Firewall. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  3. In the Program or port list, make sure the File and Printer Sharing check box is selected, and then click OK.

thanks for these steps it worked for me