Just a little update, the BIOS is back on Dell's support site, nothing changed between the version they posted earlier and the one which is back on there now. :untroubled:

• Thumbs Up 1

Awesome work @Staff Sargent, thanks for providing this! Once BIOS is flashed, any idea how to go about disabling Optimus? I'm trying to get NVIDIA to work properly running Ubuntu 12.04 (had to use Nouveau driver before with 11.10 as well) and hoping to get Optimus disabled to see if that helps. Anyone with experience running Ubuntu on this PC I would greatly appreciate any help you may be able to provide!!

i've been out of the loop of a long while but i think you can mod the vbios for more voltage if you have the thermal room for it. maybe svl or someone else can help with that. i've done my good deed for the year. bye. :54_002:

i've been out of the loop of a long while but i think you can mod the vbios for more voltage if you have the thermal room for it. maybe svl or someone else can help with that.

Already did this, max voltage entry is 1.0V, and the 3d profile is already set to this.

i've done my good deed for the year. bye.

LMFAO!!! :77:

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I tried to flash the unlocked A10 Bios on my M17XR3 but:

- the menus are strange, cannot access many of them as they are grayed/disabled (previously all was working OK), including reset to optimal settings (how to reset after bios flash ? I used F9 reset + F10 save & exit but I am not sure)

Anyway the PC is working.

Any suggestions ?

No idea, maybe there was a problem during the flashing procedure. Other users have confirmed that this BIOS works fine.

You could try resetting your BIOS by removing the coin cell battery of the non-volatile memory for a couple of minutes, if this doesn't help try reflashing it.

No, don't think there's a thorough description available. Just don't change anything you're not familiar with. Also some options won't work for your system, even though they're there, be careful.

If you mess up, the first step would be to remove the coin cell battery, this should reset the settings.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Guys I have a little problem - It seems that after I flashed my M17x R3 with this bios (initialy was the unlocked one) - my laptop just freezes in Windows 7 U

I mean I just open the SO and them it just freezes -

My config:

2670QM (not overclocked)

Radeon 6990 M (not overclocked)

32 GB Corsair Vengence - 4x8 GB 1600 MHz modules

1 SSD Crucial M4 128 GB

1 SSH Seagate 500 GB

In bios hdd's where put as RAID (not AHCI).

After flashing the new bios / all settings resseted to default - no tweaks used

I am trying to fix the following issues:

1. the problem with the SATA 3 - (I think I have to move the setting in bios to AHCI) probably this will make me loose all the settings

2. the problems with USB 3.0 - is not working on my config - no matter what USB port I use my WD passport USB 3.0 1 TB external is showing the message that it can perform faster and the transfer speeds are ~ 30 MB/s

3. the issue with installing Radeon latest drivers - it cannot be installed on a machine with intel graphics enabled so I want to disable it from BIOS (most of the times I don't use it so I don't actually need a low power graphics card)

Let me know if you need any more information about my config (software or hardware)

@rodarkone welcome to Tech Inferno My first thought is if you flashed this and then hit default settings is that you must place the drive setting back to raid in the bios not ahci or ata etc. The system bios needs to be set again how it was before flash. If your os was bootable before flashing bios its going to be after using this unlocked bios. So i would check through bios settings. Defaults is not going to make a system previous set to raid bootable. Ive always had to do that if i tried unlocked bios on my M18x. Im on stock now since i have system issues to be diagnosed. This bios works and you didnt brick your system so its likely the raid option in bios is not set back to raid. Let us know if it gets you booted.

*** actually hold the phone here i just noticed more details of your post. Why was raid enabled in this system with two different sized and type drives? Im guessing it was set to raid but had no raid array configured. So i still suggest setting it back to raid.

If you still cant boot... do you care taking a few pics of bios menus so we see how you have it set? The answer is in the bios. Id say flash stock back but you cant boot to Windows. Theres a blind flash but that is unnecessary in a situation like this.

Thanks for the kind words.

Ok - so I found the issue - the problem was system was crashing after windows booted (just freeze nothing else) - the quick fix was (of course) reinstalling the OS - actualy A10 back ((of course I sweated a bit until I flashed back the A10 bios)- AHCI in bios - reinstall the OS - now everything seems to work perfectly. I flashed back the A10 modded bios - seems that ATA6 works ok with my M4 no issues so far, also disabled the IGP in order to benefit of the latest Radeon official drivers.

I don't really care about overclocking the rig - it's a 2670QM so it's pointless - I expect the AC Mx-4 - in order to repaste the CPU / GPU hopefully it will go down (it's extremly hot mine - the GPU is 94+ in Furmark - but doesn't go over 84-85 in games. (I play mostly D3 when I have a spare moment)

Anyway - thanks to the modder -> svl7 <- kudos to you sir

Thanks for the kind words.

Ok - so I found the issue - the problem was system was crashing after windows booted (just freeze nothing else) - the quick fix was (of course) reinstalling the OS - actualy A10 back ((of course I sweated a bit until I flashed back the A10 bios)- AHCI in bios - reinstall the OS - now everything seems to work perfectly. I flashed back the A10 modded bios - seems that ATA6 works ok with my M4 no issues so far, also disabled the IGP in order to benefit of the latest Radeon official drivers.

I don't really care about overclocking the rig - it's a 2670QM so it's pointless - I expect the AC Mx-4 - in order to repaste the CPU / GPU hopefully it will go down (it's extremly hot mine - the GPU is 94+ in Furmark - but doesn't go over 84-85 in games. (I play mostly D3 when I have a spare moment)

Anyway - thanks to the modder -> svl7 <- kudos to you sir

Great. SVL7 is awesome. Yeah I see about the overclocking. I play D3 too haven't played recent but I want to try the new update that changes level 60 game

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for posting this, I am a new member trying to install a 680M!!

Welcome to Tech Inferno. Congratulations on your 680m. I hope you get your beast setup good. Let any of us now if you need help or how things went for your install. Thank you for becoming an Elite member.