Lenovo G560 + GTX960 + EXP GDC + 550W PSU + TV/Monitor

NevsMate

Hi Guys, any news as to how you are getting on with your projects, I left a bit off that Guide, I know it's obvious but, I should've realised...

"If screen attached to eGPU doesn’t switch straight away or at all. Right click anywhere on desktop select “screen resolution” and should have options to select graphics card and choice of screens".

oops..

• 3 weeks later...

Hi did ya get into the zip file?  How are your projects? Hope this uploads ok:-

You are here because the kit you have won’t work together……yet.
WARNING: this may not be 100% accurate for your systems.
I just followed advice from a fair few people on various forums and ended up with a very workable system, not perfect.
Disclaimer: I do not accept any responsibility for how you carry out any work on your systems, I have no connection to
any suppliers, equipment nor software mentioned in these pages, other than being a customer and purchased products for
my own use.
Please, if you are not comfortable or lacking the technical skills with performing any procedures in this document then,
find someone who is qualified/capable. Your safety, those around you and property is in your hands.
My trusty aging Laptop:
Lenovo G560 Intel Core i3-380M, Intel HD Graphics, BIOS 29CN38WW (V2.15),
8Gb DDR3 SDRAM, 500Gb SSD.
Hardware purchased/used:
V8.0 EXP GDC Beast, (HDMI – Mini PCI-E, for my system): seller web sites will have details on what is generally compatible
 with yours, check it out, do your research!
Ensure compatibility with your system.
ATX PSU: you may have one lying around or purchase one. Mine is a 550W & is modular.
Graphics Card: you may have one lying around or purchase one. Mine is GTX960.
Monitor: again a spare, TV or purchase.
(Different suppliers/prices out there, ‘surf & make your own choice, to your budget’)
Ideas and guidance:
https://aphnetworks.com/forums/ https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
https://***********/egpu-setup-13x/  
This is a guide to how I got my project up and running using the EXP GDC/mPCIe version,
(left out the stuff where I went wrong) follow at your own ‘peril’! I suspect if you have similar specs to mine you
should be successful. I gathered up the following.

ONE
ATX PSU = Paper clip trick! Installed into the 24-20pin connector, looking vertically with the tab on the right inserted paper
clip in the 4th & 5th down on the right side (green & black). This is to confuse the PSU in thinking it is attached to a
motherboard!

TWO
EXP GDC = purchase the correct version in relation to how you intend to connect it to your
                     laptop (mPCIe, NGFF/M.2 or Express card), the PTD switch I set in the middle.

THREE
I connected these together = PSU, Graphics, EXP GDC & External Monitor all connected up and running as per instructions
(used an old tower chassis, but NOT connected to laptop yet)
The next stages should (hopefully) get you through to the end of these notes with your laptop display actually viewed on the
extra monitor via the EXP GDC & Graphics card of your choice.

Page 2 of 5

FOUR
Laptop (a.) = Hopefully, your laptops only have the ‘Intel (R) HD Graphics’ on board (part of processor).
If you have a ‘dedicated GPU’, could be NVidia or AMD, you’ll have to uninstall those drivers completely also in the registry,
as they’ll interfere with what were’re try to achieve.
Go here: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html  
As, we proceed the next stages find that we will go against some of these recommendations, which will ‘void’ any warranties,
shouldn’t damage anything as, my gear is still working!. You are still under no obligation to continue and in the same boat as
me, as I have done the same. I am NOT responsible for your actions, you continue at your own risk.
Laptop (b.) = At this point your BIOS may be holding you back. Check for an updated one from the manufacturer, download and
re-flash(with original backed up) it as per their instructions.
BIOS = I updated Bios with new menu’s but, after trial and error, I found that I only needed
              to disable the ‘PXE boot to LAN’.
Laptop (c.) = Still having problems (I did), the next was from further advice from forums: start laptop (not yet connected to
your rig) with wireless card still connected, once in windows, open device manager and see that the wireless card is there.
Now, as my laptop has its removable/upgradeable components under one easy access panel, I proceeded (hopefully yours is too).
Removed bottom panel, unplugged the antenna from the wireless card and carefully removed the card and connected the mPCIe in its place.
                 I replaced bottom panel ‘loosely’ so it does not ‘pinch’ HDMI cable. I will eventually cut a suitable hole/slot for
the cable later-ish. Some have found ways to route the cable or remove their CD/DVD device to feed it through, so they then can tuck
the cable away when not in use, choice is yours!
Look in device manager and the wireless card should have gone and no errors. Rebooted and ensured no errors. Shut down laptop & connecting
the HDMI end of the adapter to the EXP GDC (rig) and got the reboots again with black screens. Rebooted, without the cable attached to
EXP GDC (rig).
Laptop (d.) = Next, to move on, I shut down laptop, removed mPCIe end rebooted laptop. I Also suggested that you purchase the following
software for around $15.
DIY eGpu Setup 1.35 = https://***********/egpu-setup-13x/
(‘******’ will then email you with link for the download, instructions and links to tutorial videos. Well worth this small investment).

Page 3 of 5

Downloaded & installed = DIY eGpu Setup 1.35
Then rebooted as instructed, on reboot I now have two options after the ‘BIOS’ loaded: ‘Windows 7 (or your version of windows) or DIY eGPU
Setup 1.35’. Selected Windows.
I watched ******’s ‘Configuration Walkthrough’ video demonstrating how he set up the DIY eGPU Setup 1.35 on his machine and I wrote down all
his steps/selections.
After forming this script, where his particular components are entered or selected, I amended to show my components details. (see annex 1),
this is my setup, you may need to enter your machines details!
Five
Connected HDMI end to EXP GDC, leaving the mPCIe end dangling! Rebooted, and press F12/F8 to pause boot, quickly ‘hot plug’ (everything is on)
 the mPCIe end to the empty WiFi connector in laptop, then select setup 1.35 and follow document at annex.
Once completed, try a reboot into windows, if black screen, disconnect HDMI end, load windows then reconnect HDMI. Open device manager, should
 now show ‘VGA device or your graphics card’.
You now need to load drivers for your graphics card, download or CD/DVD.
After drivers loaded disconnect HDMI end and reboot, reconnect HDMI, setup/configure your new graphics card. Enjoy.
(note: your laptop may now be fine with having everything connected on boot up. Mine is not, I still have to hot plug HDMI to EXP GDC, but it works!

If screen attached to eGPU doesn’t switch straight away or at all. Right click anywhere on desktop select
“screen resolution” and should have options to select graphics acrd and choice of screens.

Page 5 of 5
Annex 1

On startup:- Select: DIY eGPU setup 1.35
Select: option 3 DIY eGPU setup 1.35 menu base
Should load another set of menus.
Select: start up bat
Select: reset
Go back to and select: PCIe Ports
Select: Gen 2 port
Select: ‘your card’
Select: do link retraining & yes
Which will take you back and invite you to re enter menu
Go back 2 menus
Select: video cards
Select: iGPU ON
Select: PCI compaction
Select: end point
Select: end point 56. 25gb-36bit
Warning message: Select: any key
Back a menu
Select: run compact
Select: eGPU
And some dos text appears and runs
Invitation to enter menus again
Select: chainloader
Select: MBR
A tick should appear next to mbr
Select: test run
Then try load windows
If nothing, try a new reboot
Should now reboot select Windows (section 5, para 2 on page 5)

I've trimmed an old tower case, painted and have my eGPU finished-ish.....

Cut down Tower with PSU & Graphics card.jpg

Cut down Tower with PSU & Graphics card 3.jpg

• 1 year later...

HI,

I've tried to upgrade my Processor from i3 M 380M to Intel 620 M, but it not works.

Should this problem related with this kind of white list of processor in bios?

There is anyway to make works?

Thanks.

- Lenovo G460 0677 Intel i3 M 380 2.53 Ghz x64; 8Gb Ram.
- Bios Lenovo 29CN38WW (V2.15)

- Win 10

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.