240w not enough?

epa.caguei

Hello guys, 

I'm currently facing some stupid issues with my alienware m18xr1.

I'm currently somewhere other than my usual living place. Last time I was here, I used a 240w adapater on my m18x and all my games and "heavier" processes worked just fine. So I was quite happy that I could avoid carrying around the huge 330w brick while travelling.

Now I'm back and my 240w is nowhere near enough to run how it usually does, however it's not a question of power - it's artificial throttling from alienware. Bios throttling maybe?

I've tried using "throttlestop" and "MSI Afterburner" to counteract the issue temporarily untill I'm back to my usual place, but nothing seems to work. I know for a fact it's artifical throttling, because all is fine when I unplug the laptop and it's using the battery, but this is not sustainable.

Has anyone faced this issue and successfully used the 240w adapter on the m18x? I have 2 240w and 180w, if that helps in any way.

In any other case, I would just simply assume that the 240w adapter isn't giving the laptop enough power, but I used it for a week everyday a couple of months ago and all was fine.

My specs are as follows:

CPU: i7-4710MQ 2.5Ghz

RAM: 8GB DDR3

GPU: 2 x Nvidia GeForce GTX 860M 1GB in SLI

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Thanks.

Edited by epa.caguei

• 3 weeks later...

It's enough to charge the laptop while off and charge; 240w is enough to keep mostly charged while using, but it's not enough to keep the system from drawing from the battery slowly until it's dwindling down to nothing...  I just got a hand-me-down M18x R1 and was using my buddies 240w until my ordered 330w came in the mail... after about 2-3 weeks of use I've noticed that yes under medium loads it does fairly fine as long as you're not overclocked or anything in the bios.  But in terms of a long haul, it wouldn't keep it's charge while on, nor would it be able to charge at all unless it was all the way off, or in some sleeping state.  I'd say deal with the heavy brick and carry that weight a long time~

I doubt any sort of driver tinkering or power setting magic is going to help there otherwise...  but if you magically do have it work out somehow, do indulge us~