M17x R4 - Trying to upgrade with Clevo 980m

Skyl3r

On 7/23/2018 at 8:47 AM, Klem said:

On your screenshot i see that you try to flash Clevo's vbios:  https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/167297/clevo-gtx980m-8192-141030

Try to flash attached vbios.

Hi guys! 

@Klem , can you upload the file gm204mod.rar that you gave for Skyl3r again? 

@Skyl3r, maybe you still have this file?  I have the same laptop (m17xr4), I am also trying to upgrade to 980m (dell, 8gb) and I have a very similar problem. 

Thanks

• Bios Modder
7 minutes ago, sinusmax said:

Hi guys! 

@Klem , can you upload the file gm204mod.rar that you gave for Skyl3r again?

Hi!

You can post here your stock vbios from your 980M, I can take a look.

• Klem changed the title to M17x R4 - Trying to upgrade with Clevo 980m
Thanks @Klem! 
gm204mod.rom still works and does not hang.
I will be testing more.
Another question: driver 471.41 is not installed ("This graphics driver did not find a compatible graphics hardware"). 
The last driver we managed to install is 399.24. Is this a feature of vbios-mod?
Is it possible to install 471.41 without modifying the inf file?

• Bios Modder
1 hour ago, sinusmax said:

Is it possible to install 471.41 without modifying the inf file?

I think Nvidia has blocked the installation of new drivers (without modifying the inf file)

on some old ID combinations (Device ID + OEM ID + Vendor ID + PCI ID).

You can try to install Nvidia drivers with already modified inf files from this link:  https://premamod.wordpress.com/2017/08/15/j95-nvidia-inf/

• Bios Modder
6 hours ago, sinusmax said:

Something else I don't understand.
In win10, the card works fine in optimus mode.
I ran furmark, everything works correctly.

But if the peg mode is set in bios, I get 8 beeps.
Why is that?

Yes make sure the BIOS is set to pure UEFI which means switching from Legacy to UEFI and then disabling the Legacy Option ROM and Secure Boot. If you were set to Legacy before then the card shouldn't even work at all so maybe you have UEFI but not a few of the other options disabled. 

and yes, you will need to mod the .inf for newer drivers. Here is a guide that I originally used to learn how to do it.

https://null-src.com/posts/nvidia-notebook-driver-inf-mod/post.php

One extra thing you need to do is first run the installer from Nvidia and let it fail. DO NOT close the failed installer but instead go to your C: drive and find the NVIDIA folder. Copy this and paste it in the same C: drive. It will auto-name itself NVIDIA - Copy. Now close the installer and the original NVIDIA folder should disappear and you'll be left with the copied folder that you can modify. Once you've learned how to do the modification to the .inf then do don't forget to disable driver signature enforcement directly before attempting to install the modified driver or it will fail again.

Hold SHIFT and click Restart. 

Troubleshoot - Advanced Options - Startup Settings

Click Restart

Press option 7 to restart with Driver Signature Enforcement disabled

Go to the International folder of the NVIDIA - Copy folder and double click on the Setup.exe