M17x R4 - Trying to upgrade with Clevo 980m

Skyl3r

Should I be running DDU between each attempt at installing drivers?

Ah... Same results with Section 153 and Section 154.

Since this Windows installation was initially done with Intel and NVidia both enabled, I'll try a fresh install with only the 980m enabled to see if it makes any difference.

Also, is there a possibility I would need to flash a new VBios? Or any stock clevo one should work?

I know the seller of the card mentioned something about Premamod, so I'm not sure if the BIOS on this GPU is stock or not.

Edited by Skyl3r

Another possibility that just hit me is that you might have to flash the vbios, not sure about this though. But the vbios might be specifically meant for clevo only and therefor conflict on a DELL laptop

Maybe this post will help

I'm following that guide right now, so we'll see the results.

I figured I'd try to flash Dell VBIOS just to see what would happen. I created the DOS bootable flash drive, enabled SG, integrated graphics, switched to legacy mode, tried to run NVFLASH and it says there's no NVIDIA device in the computer. So I'm a little bit confused about what I should to make this work given I have to flash it under Legacy mode and it can't be detected unless it's on UEFI

Well, I decided to just start installing drivers one at a time going backwards and I found success. Driver 352.84 installed fine. I still gotta do some testing, but my next step is gonna be roll forward to current and see if it stays working.

image.png.7a58a415f07d1bd19f145a760b1266a2.png

EDIT

Installing current drivers broke it again. Going back to 352.84 for the moment.

Edited by Skyl3r

Where did you get driver 352.84 from? Mind sending me the inf so I can check what section it uses in there to recognise your gpu? Rather weird how an older driver installs just fine when the proces of modifying our own inf should've been been done correctly.

I definitely agree it's weird and could be 100% my fault.

This is where I got it: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/84891/en-us

Here's my .inf: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zXQ4GZdZVcisrrSyH-QrII0-NQlFDwqD/view?usp=sharing

Also, interesting to note, the newer drivers don't give an incompatible message like the old drivers do.

EDIT:

I'll also mention that I was able to play games on the 980m and they performed pretty much as expected. So it's definitely fully functional. Just need to figure out how to get newer drivers on there now :P

I'm about to try driver 372.54. I wish there was a convenient way to search old drivers.

EDIT:

No luck. I'm highly suspicious of my inf modding skills.

Edited by Skyl3r

Yeah I can't figure it out, I just installed the newest drivers for my gtx1070 and those work fine after I modded the inf with my specific codes. I followed the same proces with your code, so give this inf another try https://www29.zippyshare.com/v/vhqkg80s/file.html

If it doesn't work this time then I got no clue what might be the issue

30 minutes ago, naightmehr said:

What if you use DDU to uninstall the driver and then right-click on the gtx980m and select update driver and then use the browse driver menu to refer to the nvidia driver?

Not successful. Here's the results:

image.thumb.png.e362ce2b4b2d1ffd7ba60f9cf6d119e6.png

That's with 398.36 with the INF you provided me.

29 minutes ago, naightmehr said:

Weird, I'm afraid I can't help you any further then, if I had a gtx980m myself I could've tried some things :-/

No worries, thanks for all the help! I at least have a functional graphics card now even if the drivers are old.

I'll keep trying things and if I can make it work I'll post what I did.

• Bios Modder
On 20.07.2018 at 2:55 PM, Skyl3r said:

Does anyone have an idea if I did something completely wrong or I missed a step or anything? I heard this was the best place to ask :)

Hi!

Try to flash SVL7 A11 Unlocked BIOS v2 from this thread:  

9 hours ago, Klem said:

Hi!

Try to flash SVL7 A11 Unlocked BIOS v2 from this thread:  

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately I'm still getting the same results with newer drivers (or seemingly anything other than 352.84)

• Bios Modder
23 minutes ago, Skyl3r said:

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately I'm still getting the same results with newer drivers (or seemingly anything other than 352.84)

Well, you can post here your stock vbios from your 980M, I'll take a look.

• Bios Modder
On 7/22/2018 at 7:51 PM, Skyl3r said:

Here's the VBIOS as obtained through GPU-z

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1151CXDkrjitb-h8QU6Mp8gMSryQ0TSrp/view?usp=sharing

Thanks!

Try to flash this vbios. Just run command file flash.bat

After you successfully install new vbios, then reinstall original stock Nvidia drivers (without any modifications) with DDU utility.

On 7/22/2018 at 11:32 PM, Klem said:

Try to flash this vbios. Just run command file flash.bat

After you successfully install new vbios, then reinstall original stock Nvidia drivers (without any modifications) with DDU utility.

Thanks Klem.

It seems to have done the exact same thing as before.

What I did exactly (nothing more and nothing less) is:

1. Run backup.bat - got backup.rom file
  2. Run flash.bat - got success message saying changes will take effect after reboot
  3. I rebooted, then rebooted again into safe mode
  4. Ran DDU to remove current drivers and rebooted
  5. Installed drivers 398.36 from NVidia with no modifications (I didn't touch the inf file)

I'm still getting the "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)" error

Thanks, but unfortunately I'm still getting the same Code 43 error. Just to clarify, I did try other versions of drivers (365.10 and 372.54) with the same results.

This is very strange to me that 352.84 works fine but nothing else does.

Is there any risk involved with flashing a Dell VBIOS?

image.thumb.png.f319464fbff1e2a59ab85616e064360b.png

I'm getting this and it's making me nervous :P

Edited by Skyl3r

• Bios Modder
1 hour ago, Skyl3r said:

Should I use non modified drivers or should I do the inf mod?

Just use original, non modified Nvidia drivers.

• 2 years later...

Guys - anyone still has the Vbios file available - I would like to get rid of the Device ID Issue myself. Same Upgrade card same issue...

Worst thing on earth if one recognizes the own stupidity :) Thanks Klem ... Membership renewed - now it works ...

Edited by zeoshg
Low IQ on my side

• Klem changed the title to M17x R4 - Trying to upgrade with Clevo 980m