Bring back 16:10 (RGB) screens for AW systems - vote!!

svl7

I just set up a post on ideastorm, the official platform of Dell which allows customers to send in new ideas and suggestions for Dell products.

What I want is that Dell brings back 16:10 displays, and furthermore offers new high-res RGB screens in the big AW systems, as they did in the M17x R2.

If you like this idea, please promote it, the more votes the better.

Here's the link: High resolution 16:10 RGB screens for Alienware notebooks

• Thumbs Up 6

Yup my next phone :) ha ha joking but seriously it'll be a Samsung Galaxy or note or something :) thats sick a phone has more than 3 times pixel density than a m18x and M17x R3 :o

• Founder

I'm definitely for 16:10 as long as they don't go above 1200p on a 17-18" notebook. But to be honest, I don't mind 16:9 at all. Personally, I think 18" is the perfect size for a dual card DTR and now 17" 16:10 seems small in comparison (e.g. M17x-R2).

16:9 is fine but it would be better at a higher resolution :) i like wide aspect but i can see pixels and could not see as much of anything on the r2's display

• 2 weeks later...

Well... we've got a response... and a status update. Not actually what Ihoped for.

Status is now "not planned", here's the post from "Dell David_V":

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Unfortunately, 16:10 aspect ratio displays are becoming less and less common, especially in the laptop panel space.

As far as higher resolution and RGB displays, I will pass this info on to our planners. As of today though, this is not planned.

Not exactly something I'd call great news... but we'll see what the future brings.

Btw, here's the profile of "Dell David_V", taken from Ideastorm:

“I began working for Dell in 2007 as a Pricing Analyst for the European division of Alienware. I recently transitioned to their Product Planning group and work closely with the team to launch the latest Alienware tech. “

Pricing Analyst for the European division of AW... I think I have to write to him sometime regarding the European pricing strategy, his analyzing is way off. I hope it's the same for his predictions regarding the screens in AW systems.

• Thumbs Up 4

Well... we've got a response... and a status update. Not actually what Ihoped for.

Status is now "not planned", here's the post from "Dell David_V":

Not exactly something I'd call great news... but we'll see what the future brings.

Btw, here's the profile of "Dell David_V", taken from Ideastorm:

Pricing Analyst for the European division of AW... I think I have to write to him sometime regarding the European pricing strategy, his analyzing is way off. I hope it's the same for his predictions regarding the screens in AW systems.

i saw that tools mug and same profile his first comment was useless and a comment on Brians idea there for larger laptop feet was also given a utterly uneducated responce. That guy doesnt know his keister from a hole in the ground. I was pissed at both his responses and even wrote a direct retort on Brians idea at ideastorm. Thos idiots will ruin Alienware. They dont get it because they are blind and looking at the world from inside a box. XPS and Alienware laptops should get identical display options its that simple. We pay way too much to have father company Dell just give Alienware laptops crappy displays and they are doing it on purpose we both know they want their XPS line to dominate all. That guys answer is bull we should tweet the whole entire thread of yours at ideastorm to twitter Dell Cares and ask why Dave wants to sabotage Alienware name. Joking of course but jeez cant anyone big in Dell notice this bull Dave doesnt know whats best for anyone... he doesnt use one he must not care...

Meh not surprised. I am thinking the next computer I buy to replace M17x, will definitely be the desktop (even thought that might not happen in a while :) ). I don't like the garbage components and want a gaming GPU. Obviously you can't get a decent laptop with both. The good screens are tied to business class laptops that suck for gaming. Plus, I can't stand 16:9 displays. Luckily in the desktop world there are still plenty of good quality IPS 16:10 displays.

• Thumbs Up 1

its looking like your right Unreal... may always have my M18x and get a nice desktop... desktop cpu and gpu will always be top in the end... Wont see Unreal Samaritan demo on a laptop anytime soon... where as could be on a desktop system in no time... they got it going on 3 580's bound to use less cards by the 6-700 series :) btw that video is off the hook :) i see it i want to play such a game lol

• 3 weeks later...

Yes I also wanted RGBLED back!! It needs to come back and well if had the money i would of bought me a higher end R2 and modded the bios, put 6990s in etc.. Be good for sometime! But i didn't so just got an X51 finally shipped now have to look for an IPS monitor 2410 is the best and cheapest option i can get!

• Thumbs Up 1

That would be a nice setup Freedomofdarkenedheart. Its cool your getting that X51 but the IPS is even more drool worthy... You will have to give us a post about the one you decide on

No money for a IPS currently, i got the X51, took a while to ship out, I love it, but now having a pink screen of death!! God so annoying what these idiots don't test out the product fully before shipping out?? They had plenty of time and it was delayed a few times very very frustrating. One day an IPS monitor, really liking the HPZR2740W, pretty good price but that's gonna be a while. The high end textures with texmod and Mass Effect 1-3 run way more smoother with Nvidia in general and the card is very easy to overclock and cinema mod is even more awesomer, i have it with a Core i5 didn't have enough to get a i7 2600 one day i will upgrade the card to a 560 ti and cpu.

Or... you could just build the desktop on your own (I'm sure you can get away cheaper). :) What are the specs on X51?

True with the savings on the Alienware name same spec could be $200+ cheaper? Maybe Freedom can push the issue and get a upgrade in the process who know that fails then call in mr refund :)

I think the main advantage of custom built desktops is that you get warranty for individual parts. That said, the failure rates are probably way lower as well. Oh and last but not least important, you don't have to deal with the miserable excuse of Dell "tech" "support".

Also, you can cherry pick whatever parts you want for your comp. You don't need to rely on Dell or someone equally (in)competent to do it for you.

• Thumbs Up 4

I think the main advantage of custom built desktops is that you get warranty for individual parts. That said, the failure rates are probably way lower as well. Oh and last but not least important, you don't have to deal with the miserable excuse of Dell "tech" "support".

Also, you can cherry pick whatever parts you want for your comp. You don't need to rely on Dell or someone equally (in)competent to do it for you.

^^^

Everything here is pure win.

Edited by Jimbo