About to buy a Gaming Laptop

wilsonngu

Question

DELL I7567-5314 is the laptop i'm about to buy in a couple weeks off a friend for 650$. It's retail price in Canada foes for 1100$ and was wondering if Its a good laptop for school and gaming on the side. Is there anyone in this forum that already has experience with laptop or an opinion? Much appreciated :)

http://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/dell-laptops-netbooks-and-tablets/inspiron-15-7000-gaming/spd/inspiron-15-7567-laptop

11 answers to this question

Could you specify some more on the actual components on the laptop? By what I see on the link you provided the laptop is customizable and CPU/GPU can vary quite a bit.

Still I think for the money it should be a very good laptop for studying (15.6" and 2.65kg should be more comfortable for carrying around than larger laptops) and decent for side gaming.

The best possible GPU for this Dell laptop is a 1050TI suited for laptops, in other words heavily underclocked and limited in both clocks and heat. For $650 not a bad deal (don't know how much that is for you in Canada, I am from the EU), but not a good either. You could easily get a laptop better suited for gaming. On the other hand, ask yourself the question if you truly need a Laptop. I know some who thought so too, but ended up getting a Desktop PC anyways, simply because of the advantages it offers. 

Edited by Logan
Spelling errors ... autocorrection -.-

On 6/13/2018 at 10:18 AM, Logan said:

The best possible GPU for this Dell laptop is a 1050TI suited for laptops, in other words heavily underclocked and limited in both clocks and heat. For $650 not a bad deal (don't know how much that is for you in Canada, I am from the EU), but not a good either. You could easily get a laptop better suited for gaming. On the other hand, ask yourself the question if you truly need a Laptop. I know some who thought so too, but ended up getting a Desktop PC anyways, simply because of the advantages it offers. 

960m vs 750 ti and 1050 ti vs 1050 ti mobile, everything is virtually identical between the desktop and mobile versions.

The chip, clock speed, power consumption *might* be a tad different but I doubt it, the 640 shader units weren't exactly power hogs. Rated 75W but typically only pulled 45W even on a desktop at full load. Even overclocked they don't draw a lot. Really good match for a laptop due to the inherent limitation in cooling.

What about Acer Helios 300? This is very good laptop.

On 5/27/2018 at 8:30 AM, Ludecan said:

Could you specify some more on the actual components on the laptop? By what I see on the link you provided the laptop is customizable and CPU/GPU can vary quite a bit.

Still I think for the money it should be a very good laptop for studying (15.6" and 2.65kg should be more comfortable for carrying around than larger laptops) and decent for side gaming.

Yes. Better 15.6" then 17.3" for  carrying around.

On 7/16/2019 at 6:12 AM, dkdogwood said:

nice price

Yes This is very good price.

I purchased a used MSi Gt70 gaming laptop years ago. At the time, it was my first "gaming" laptop.  The msi gt 70 was okay, but I could play pc games much better on my older gaming desktop.  Unless you need a laptop for portability, I would recommend sticking with a pc desktop for gaming alone, unless you are buying a top of the line gaming laptop. 

The main advantage of gaming laptops is the long-term operation under extreme loads. They have particular processors, wireless modules, graphics cards, and fans for this purpose. Regular laptops for study, office and entertainment can be compared to peak performance. They can not work for a long time in such conditions - the temperature becomes higher, and the electronics reduce power to reduce heat and prevent breakdown. Gaming laptops also differ in design. They should emphasize the individuality of the gamer, so there are many models with backlighting, exclusive body textures, and patterns among them. On https://unslider.com/best-gaming-laptop-under-1500/, you can find powerful gaming laptops that you will definitely like.

Edited by mikakenzoiz

Hi instead of dell I prefer ASUS or acer because these are the best gaming laptops company and you can still find gaming laptops under 800$ in ASUS or acer

ASUS TUF

ASUS F512DA-EB51 VivoBook 15 

Acer Aspire 5

these are the best gaming laptops for school or personal use

Edited by Bake566