M17x R4 with 765m driver issues

Hello im new to owning an alienware laptop and i got some problems with that custom nvidia drivers for my model.
There is no Dell driver for the 765m, i´ve read about changing the nvdmi.inf and i sucessfully installed the driver already by doing that.

The problem i have is that i got no clue how to find out which section is the right for mine.
I run into some weird error as my laptop freezes on restarting or shut down, or i get the message that UxdService needs to be stopped in order to shutdown.

I tried to download the Dell Driver for the old 680m and find the right section from there but i guess im to stupid to understand as there are a lot of numbers.

This is my hardware ID. I tried using section 62. Section 64 was also already tried.
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_11E1&SUBSYS_05801028

I can play games just fine but it annoys me not to be able to shutdown without pressing the power button for a few secs.

Very thankful if anyone could help.
Also if anyone would explain me how to do it right i´d be glad to help other members.

Edited by Jurijcorn

Modding the nvidia inf for the first time can be quite difficult but once you know what you're doing it's actually quite simple and straightforward. Now I'm going to try to explain as best as I can how to mod your nvidia inf by using the newest nvidia driver (397.64) as example.

First you want to get 3 ID's, your GPU model, laptop model and laptop brand, by using your ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_11E1&SUBSYS_05801028

GPU Model code

Laptop model code

Laptop manufacturer code

Now using these 3 ID's we can make your first string, which is the string that defines what video card you have. 

NVIDIA_DEV.11E1.05A9.1028 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M" <-- this is an already existing string but now we're going to change 1 ID so it matches your laptop which is the 05A9 to 0580, your specific laptop model. 

NVIDIA_DEV.11E1.0580.1028 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M" <-- this is the string that you want to save on a text document somewhere, you'll need it every time you mod the nvidia inf for the newest drivers.

Now to find the correct section is actually quite easy, just use CTRL+F and look for an existing string with 11E1, in the newest drivers you can use section24, this is the existing string  %NVIDIA_DEV.11E1.05A9.1028% = Section024, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_11E1&SUBSYS_05A91028 

Now we're going to modify it so it'll work for your laptop by replacing the green ID's with your ID's

%NVIDIA_DEV.11E1.0580.1028% = Section024, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_11E1&SUBSYS_05801028 <- this should be the correct string.

Make sure that you got windows driver enforcement turned off. Or what I personally do is run windows 10 in test mode.

Helpful links:

https://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how-to-disable-driver-signature-verification-on-64-bit-windows-8.1-so-that-you-can-install-unsigned-drivers/

http://null-bin.blogspot.nl/2015/08/how-to-modify-nvidia-notebook-driver.html

• Thumbs Up 2

Thank you very much, the problem in the end was not related to my gpu.
My second drive which was an old hdd had bad sectors and caused the system to freeze and hang sometimes.
The other reason was that EC Support in HWINFO in order to control the fans also sometimes causes freezes and hangs.

Since i removed both i have no issues  anymore.