Lenovo ideapad y500, m.2 SSD WTH is it used for?

I have an older Lenovo ideapad y500 barely ever used I mean it's been in a box on a shelf in the closet for about 2 years, It's in Mint condition. My question is, what is the point of the M.2 SSD for? See I have taken it out and it doesn't affect the performance or anything, absolutely everything works as it should and as it always has. I've tested the M.2 SSD with HD Tune Pro, and everything is good and everything is good through Intel S.M.A.R.T as well. So WTH did they charge me a guestimate of around $120.00 extra for a SSD that seems to be pointless? I'll post full specs below. I got a Sager NP9170 for Christmas 2 months after I purchased this Lenovo y500 that's why I parked it, the Sager had been hit by Lightning so I brought out the Lenovo. But it's apples and oranges here, and absolutely everything is locked on the Lenovo, WTH do they do this? Also is there some way i can unlock the CPU and GPU's? I think she'll run more like the Sager if I can somehow get this thing unlocked. Maybe the appropriate direction and I could beef this Lenovo up, If not Hell I'm going to sell it.

ANYONE NEED A FAST NEW LIKE LAPTOP? ANY TAKERS OUT HERE? LOL

Thanks So Much!

Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
    Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz    131 °F
    Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
    16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 1600MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
    LENOVO INVALID (U3E1)
Graphics
    Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@59Hz)
    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M (Lenovo)    106 °F
    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M (Lenovo)    88 °F
    ForceWare version: 391.35
    SLI Disabled
Storage
    14GB SanDisk SSD U100 16GB (SSD)
    931GB Seagate ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB (SATA)    99 °