Help choosing processor/mobo

ruxik93

So I'm a recently father of 1 and struggling military personnel. No need for more details. I'm building a "gaming desktop" out of parts I'm collecting out of other people's trash basically. Running on all 2012 standards. currently I'm using a AMD Athlon II x4 clocked at 2.6 GHz on a Pegatron M2N78-LA (Violet6) motherboard with 500Gb of space and a Zotac Nvidia GT 640. I'm really proud of this setup so far because the overall price of the desktop is currently sitting at $10 for the Arctic Silver to replace the old thermal paste. The main thing I'm wanting to know from this community is whether or not the AMD Phenom is a decent processor. On paper it looks fine, but i have never built with it before, therefore I'm uncertain. Also if anyone knows of a cheap cheap MOBO that is still high quality and has 4 DIMM slots and preferably at least AM3+.