VBios Flashing: Alienware to MSI

amidsal

Hi all,

I'm doing a small project to try to resurrect my GT783R (MS-16711) and I'd like some advice.

I'd like to replace the video card as I suspect it is where lies the issue. When I went to eBay to look for spare cards, I noticed that a new GTX580M for Alienware costs around 130.00 while a pre-owned one for MSI costs about 250.00. After researching a bit, I found that the vbios from Alienware is not compatible with the one from MSI. So here is my question, is it possible to flash the MSI vbios into an Alienware card? I suspect so but I'd like confirmation from someone with experience.

Also, assuming it works, will flashing the vbios be the only procedure needed or do I have to do something else?

Peace,

Amid

• 1 month later...

I bought a CLEVO GTX 780M card from eBay, from Hong Kong.  I did research for NVIDIA VBios flasher, and flashed MSI GTX 780M vBios into the CLEVO vBios after making vBIOS backup for the Clevo. And it works good right now.  Before flashing, the Clevo card would not install correct Nvidia drivers and will not be able to start. After flash vBios, drivers installed and CS:GO works for me.  If you can find a Clevo card or the original MSI GTX580m card, it be best to save you some headache to not buy the Alienware card if you have found the info that it's not compatible with the MSI board even after flashing vBIOS. 
Keep watching for the cards, since one day/one week it will pop up from a seller which sell the card cheaper. 
I waited 4 months for price of GTX 780m to reach the price I wanted and then purchased.  I thought my 870M card was the culprit of my laptop just suddenly shut off when on aftermarket battery, but turns out, it's the battery is the problem and not the videocard(s) I have tried.

If you upgrade card, make sure you can still use the original heatsink, which there is a huge thread on upgrading each different videocard in that series, and update your bios to latest possible.  Keep doing research is my only valuable advice.  I went from 770M > 870M > then 780M for my current card.  All these cards, I was able to use the same C heatsink that matches the card layout.

On 6.5.2018 at 10:23 AM, Bizeek said:

I bought a CLEVO GTX 780M card from eBay, from Hong Kong.  I did research for NVIDIA VBios flasher, and flashed MSI GTX 780M vBios into the CLEVO vBios after making vBIOS backup for the Clevo. And it works good right now.  Before flashing, the Clevo card would not install correct Nvidia drivers and will not be able to start. After flash vBios, drivers installed and CS:GO works for me.  If you can find a Clevo card or the original MSI GTX580m card, it be best to save you some headache to not buy the Alienware card if you have found the info that it's not compatible with the MSI board even after flashing vBIOS. 
Keep watching for the cards, since one day/one week it will pop up from a seller which sell the card cheaper. 
I waited 4 months for price of GTX 780m to reach the price I wanted and then purchased.  I thought my 870M card was the culprit of my laptop just suddenly shut off when on aftermarket battery, but turns out, it's the battery is the problem and not the videocard(s) I have tried.

If you upgrade card, make sure you can still use the original heatsink, which there is a huge thread on upgrading each different videocard in that series, and update your bios to latest possible.  Keep doing research is my only valuable advice.  I went from 770M > 870M > then 780M for my current card.  All these cards, I was able to use the same C heatsink that matches the card layout.

You use a GTX780M in a MSI GT783(MS-1761)?

Shure?

All Kepler Cards are not working in a MSI GT680/GT780,only GTX 770M and GTX 765M with Clevo Vbios.

If You write something than read before which Notebook he have.

But it works with GTX 970M7GTX 980M

• 4 months later...