MS-1761 - Information:

I have an MSI GT783R that is defective (turns off randomly) and now that I moved to US, I found out that it may be possible to repair/upgrade it.

Since I'm relatively new in DIYing laptops, I have couple questions that I believe someone here may be able to answer. Below:

- I noticed that this model is something related to MS-1761. What exactly is this? A type of notebook? A barebone (I think the word for this is barebook?)? A model that is similar to this one? Everytime I look for it I got motherboards, notebooks, bios all referring to this MS-1761. Can someone clarify this to me?

- I suspect the issue may be with the motherboard (long story: when I was playing DA2 in a external monitor, I closed the computer and put it in a location that ended up overheating it and it turned off. After this incident, the computer turns off randomly, even when not playing anything). Can I replace the motherboard with one from some other model (called MSI and they don't have a spare one anymore).

I have other questions but they are dependent on the answers of these two.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Amid

Hello

Usually the error in the graphics card is the one that starts to cause short circuits.
Unfortunately not very many graphics cards work in this device.
Except for the GTX 770M, no card works from the GTX 670MX to the GTX 880M.
But the GTX 970M and GTX 980M as well as the Quadro M3000M-M5000M work there.
Prerequisite is that the card has an MSI Vbios.
MS-1761 is just the internal name of MSI for the motherboard, this has been installed by many other manufacturers.
And for all cards except the GTX 570M -GTX 675M another heat sink is needed.
Or your own needs to be adjusted.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks, Bloetschkopf. Now, I'm considering my options, either to repair this computer, or to buy a new one. Right now, these are the specs:

Processor: i7 2670QM
 Mainboard: MS-1761
 Bios: AMI E1761MS V3.0H
 Memory: 12 GB DDR3 1333
 Videocard: GTX 580M (from MSI / GF114, A1)
 Wireless: Centrino Wireless-N 130

Some additional questions, if you can help me:

- Before investing some money in it, I'd like to confirm that the issue is indeed in the video card and not in the motherboard. I'm asking that because, if I remember well, this computer switches between nvidia and intel graphics card depending on the application, and it turns off even when using MS-Word, for example, with the intel card. If I take the nvidia video card out, would the computer still work using only the intel graphics card? This way I could know for sure if the problem is in the video card and not in the motherboard.

- In addition the the upgrades in the video card, can other specs be upgraded as well? For example, I believe this motherboard supports higher frequency than 1333 RAM. Could the processor and Wireless card be replaces as well?

- Assuming the problem is in the motherboard, can I just replace it for a similar one? I'm asking that because in this site (http://www.super-laptop-parts.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=ms-1761&inc_subcat=0&sort=20a&page=4) there are many similar motherboards but I'm not sure if they will fit the laptop case. The OFFICIAL part number of my motherboard is 607-17611-07S, but I can't found this exact model. Will any MS-17611 board fit in the notebook?

- When you say I need a video card with MSI Vbios, does it means I have to look for a compatible videocard from MSI or can the bios be flashed in other brands?

Again, thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

The MS-1761 don`t have Optimus,it starts with blank Screen witout GPU.

Take the GPU out,when  the Laptop starts the GPU is defective.

You can change all Components,the Wifi Card is under the Touch Panel.

If You want change only the Card it must be a Card with MSI or Clevo Vbios,for Dell Card You need another Laptop to flash the Vbios.

You can use also upgrade to this Cards:

GTX 770M(another Heatsink)

GTX 970M/980M (another Heatsink)

Quadro M3000M-M5000M (Heatsink like GTX980M)

All other Keplercards from GTX670MX to GTX880M are not working in Your Barebone,only GTX 770M and GTX 765M/GTX965M with Clevo Vbios.

• Thumbs Up 1