What are thermals like for Clevo P750TM1 15" w/ i7-8700 + gtx 1070?

Pachucaa

Hi, I'm new to forums. Someone told me this is the place for custom notebook modding etc. I recently purchased this laptop P750TM1 with an i7-8700 + gtx 1070. I would have loved to get it with the i7 8700k, but at 95w TDP I figured I'm better off getting the 8700 with 65w TDP because the boost is 0.1 mhz but the extra thermals from that is not worth it for me in a notebook. Even at 65w TDP I'm concerned about thermals so the OEM offered to delid + apply liquid metal for better cpu cooling. I have no experience with this stuff, but from what I have read and seen online liquid metal has very poor longevity and it stains the cpu/heatsink. Does anyone know of any better cooling solutions or am I wrong about the liquid metal option and should go for it? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Pachucaa

Hi,

Imo and according to all the info I have gathered during these years, liquid metal will not give more than 4-5 ºC temp reduction, but delidding can give you as much as 10ºC drop, maybe even more, compared to stock. 

I am owner of a clevo p170ms, which is pretty toasty btw.

Under synthetic load (stress test)

i7-4710mq: 85ºC  aprox.

gtx 980m:   77ºC aprox.

Temps while gaming rarely will go that high.

My cpu came with no IHS (integrated heat spreader), not sure if the reseller delidds it or if intel distributed it without it. 

Also some tweaks here and there as undervolting cpu or heatsink modding can help reducing temps.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...