m17x r4 980m cant update past 368.81 drivers

Hey guys has anyone had problems with updating their r4 with newer drivers ? Ive modded the nvdmi file with my hardware id and worked just fine up to 368.81 and after nothing will work. the newest

390.77 went past system check license agree and options really fast then shows all the items not installed and fails says drivers failed. any ideas ? Thank you in advance for any help

m17 error.png

Edited by umbrellacorp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Are you asking where to insert your line of ID?

Once in the nvdmi file you scroll down to the list of Windows 10 hardware/machine ID's. There will be a long list in numerical order. I don't think it really matters where you put your line but I always find the last line with the same GPU ID and I make a space underneath it and paste my code in there. I believe for my GTX 1070 it is 1BA1. For drivers that also work on Windows 7 and 8 there will be 3 possible OS sections to paste your code. You can put them into each section or you can find the right one for your OS. 

Then you have to scroll right down the bottom of the file and enter the String for your card/machine ID. 

• 4 weeks later...

Not trying to hijack this thread. But I also can not get my Alienware to accept any new drivers. However mine being alittle older than your 980m I have a 880m. Also have the same issues as you even with driver enforcement turned off. I've tried multiple .inf mods but I still am unable to get it to accept any new drivers and therefore I can't play games like Doom eternal etc. I know its not the graphics API and this laptop will play Red Dead 2 which also uses Vulkan hardware as well=) 

I think the driver support for the 880M ended at the 425.xx driver. I have never tried to mod a later driver than what is technically supported but I assume it's possible. What's the latest one that you can install?

Do you mod the .inf yourself or are you downloading a pre-modded one?

I have only been able to get the drivers from this site to work. Which is 425.xx I had tried modding the files myself as I have been unable to actually find pre-modded driver support for my 880m. I plan to upgrade the CPU in this alienware as well to either the 2860qm or the 2960xm. I am also throwing in 16gb of ram for fun. I could upgrade to another model:/ but I really don't feel like it as this laptop still screams life, It truly wants to do anything I throw at it. I just need to get it to accept drivers:/

If it helps I am also running the A12 drivers unlocked provided from techinferno as well.

I'm really not sure if you can install a driver newer than 425.xx. If you can mod and install one then it's doubtful that it will make much difference since Nvidia didn't even attempt to optimise it for the 880M. The 980M still has support so people with that card can still get the latest drivers. I can try though if you like.

If you can post your Hardware ID I will try to find time to mod one for you and post a dropbox link. Or if you're having some trouble modding one yourself I can help walk you through it. Once you've done it a few times it's a piece of cake so it's a good skill to learn.

Do you know how to locate your GPU Hardware ID?

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1198&SUBSYS_04901028&REV_A1
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1198&SUBSYS_04901028
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1198&CC_030000
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1198&CC_0300

^ Above posted info is my device info for my Clevio 880m. I figured it would be somewhat limited in certain features. Anything you can come up with that may yield better results than I would be greatly appreciated.  I did attempt to do it manually by myself, however as I said it fails, if you get better results, then by all means I would love for you to teach me! 

7 hours ago, MattyB said:

I'm really not sure if you can install a driver newer than 425.xx. If you can mod and install one then it's doubtful that it will make much difference since Nvidia didn't even attempt to optimise it for the 880M. The 980M still has support so people with that card can still get the latest drivers. I can try though if you like.

If you can post your Hardware ID I will try to find time to mod one for you and post a dropbox link. Or if you're having some trouble modding one yourself I can help walk you through it. Once you've done it a few times it's a piece of cake so it's a good skill to learn.

Do you know how to locate your GPU Hardware ID?

Also would you happen to know if the 2960XM or 2920XM works in the M17x R3 model? I was looking around somewhere and some people say its plug n play since its still socket G2. However others say you need a modified bios for the R4 model for it to work, Which I won't mess with if thats the case. I am still looking for a healthy 2860QM chip! I am still very excited for this project!

As far as I've heard, the extreme CPU's will work in the R3 but I haven't actually tried it myself so I can only go by what I've heard. If you don't plan on overclocking then the 2860QM will be fine.

I'm at work now for the next 9 hours and I'm limited to what I can do on this computer but if you're around I can help walk you through the modding process. The following steps are just by memory so I apologise if I've made a mistake somewhere or it's confusing to follow. I would usually post some screenshots but I don't have access to these files on this computer.

There are 3 important parts in the hardware ID. 1198 is your GPU ID, 0490 is your machine ID and 1028 is the Dell ID

When you open up the Dell .inf file you need to scroll down to the big list of Hardware ID's. You can really put your ID in any spot but I like to put it in order. Scroll down to the last ID that has 1198 in it. Make a empty line below this one and copy/paste the line above into the empty spot. Change the machine ID to yours - 0490 (I think there are 2 to change). It should already have 1028 at the end of the code you copied but if it doesn't then change it. Copy the line you just made for the next part of the process.

This next part may sound confusing.

Since the 880M works with Windows 7, 8 and 10 there used to be 3 blocks of hardware ID's in the .inf. I'm not sure if this is still the case for the newest drivers though. If you keep scrolling down the .inf, the Hardware ID list would start again and if you scroll even further down it would start again. Each of these blocks contains the same list of Hardware ID's but each block is for a different OS. Once you have inserted your new line of ID in the first block of ID's then carefully scroll down and see if there is another block of ID's. It is easy to miss if you scroll quickly by using the slider bar on the right. Insert your ID into each block as you did in the first one. 

My 1070 only works with Windows 10 so there is only one block of ID's. 

After this you need to enter your String. Scroll right down to the bottom of the .inf and then slowly scroll back up until you find the list of strings. They will look similar to the Hardware ID's but not as long and then the GPU will be listed at the end of the line. For example "GTX 880M"

Again, you can find the last one listed with the 1198 GPU ID and then make a space and copy/paste/modify the line above to match your machine ID - 0490

Save the file.

I always use DDU to remove all the previous driver files before continuing but it's up to you.

Hold Shift and Restart to boot to Startup settings to disable signature enforcement. Restart and install the driver. If it worked then it will come up with an unsigned driver warning. Just accept it and away you go. 

Sweet I will give this a go when I get to work here in the next 2 hours. I was thinking of going with the 2920xm and overclocking it to get the 2960xm stock performance. This way Heat management is not a problem, I'll get the 2960's performance while being able to maintain a manageable G2 Socket temperature. However judging on price it may be easier just to stick with a QM and call it a day. I dont see how much overclocking I would get out of a stock G2 Heat-sink...Of course I have it on a laptop cooler and all. But lets be realistic, the R3 wasn't intended for overclocking.

Just check what CPU fan you have. There is a 2.0cfm fan and you can also get a 10.4cfm. A lot of people did the fan upgrade if theirs shipped with the crappy one. There should be a sticker on the fan that tells you or it will at least have a Dell Part#. The 17 R1 was also shipped with the bad fan and the R4 fan slotted right in. 

Sweet! I will look around for the replacement fan for the R3. Waiting for ram to come in tomorrow before i rip it open etc. Still no luck for me getting the drivers to work. I honestly think im doing something wrong :( I have the 2720qm processor in my current laptop now.

Edited by MrBubbles991

Try this link. If it doesn't work then anything past 425.xx won't work for your card. Hopefully the link works

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fqfhsf9gnnvzu8r/AABaS8klBMagT4fQrFfGFXgBa?dl=0

Just highlight the link and open it in a new tab (Firefox). It should open it up. Find the setup.exe in the International section and run the installer. You'll need to Disable Driver Signature Enforcement first.

That driver worked and fit just like a glove! It allows me to play all the games I couldn't before while maintaining the performance you'd expect a 880m to achieve! Very successful results over mine! You'll have to let me know what you did that I didn't! I am extremely grateful for your services MattyB

Awesome! I think I'll try to make a 'how-to' video on modding and installing a driver. It's quite simple but you need to do it a few times to remember all the steps. If you miss a step then it will fail. I enjoy helping people out but it's a good little skill to learn. 

For sure this new driver is really working great! I've only encounter one or two minor bugs here and there. Where my games have just suddenly crashed without an error or anything...generally within the first 20 minutes. However as the driver seeds itself into position and after an initial 24 hour burn in test with multiple games ranging from For Honor, World of warcraft to Call of duty Modern warfare Multiplayer/Battle Royale mode(Super Memory intensive). My 880m is absolutely shredding through these. It makes me squeal in delight tbh. For this I can not thank you enough and I can not wait to see your how-to video and will be sure to give it plenty of rates up!

• Thumbs Up 1

If you find you're getting crashed then it could be heat related. Make sure you reapply your thermal paste every now and then and clean out the fans and heatsinks regularly as they can build up with dust and fluff. 

I spend most of my time over at NotebookReview so I'll either post the video over there or on the unofficial Alienware Facebook page

Ok please make sure to get a hold of me somehow! I am looking for a healthy community I can use with this laptop still! I will keep my eyes peel'd for you over there! I did reapply the thermal paste to both the CPU/GPU and I have aftermarket cooling to it. It could be that I need new thermal padding? Maybe... idk will take a look if or when I replace this CPU. It does not do it with all games. Mostly Call of Duty related...so really no telling lol.